An Annual LBV Horizontal

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

An Annual LBV Horizontal

Post by uncle tom »

This thread split off from here by DRT.

It's a bit odd that considering the size of the LBV market in the UK - probably the most profitable product class for the shippers - the amount of critical attention given to the products is tiny.

Each year a new crop of LBV's get bottled, and they do differ quite a lot from one year to the next.

Perhaps we ought to have an annual LBV horizontal..? Invite the producers to send sample bottles (from the production bottling, not cask samples) - taste them blind, score them, and publish a list of the winners, with an attendant press release.

In fact now would be the best time of year to do this, as the results would be out in time for the Christmas shopping season.

- An idea?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: A pleasant surprise

Post by DRT »

I like the idea, Tom, but I'm not sure the producers would play. LBV flies off the supermarket shelves at an enormous rate during December, mostly purchased by people who don't really know much about it and who are buying it because they "need" a bottle for Christmas (even though they don't really know why) or are buying as a gift. Any bad publicity at that point could be a disaster for a particular product, no matter how accurate or otherwise.

What I find interesting is that the the whole port trade in general doesn't seem to push their LBV's on the basis of which vintage it is. That is presumably because they want it to be perceived as being a "standard" offering and not market it as something that would compete with VP.I can't help thinking that the lack of marketing around specific vintages of LBV, and LBV in general, is intentional and more than likely is very well thought out by the marketing teams.

But none of that stops us buying a bottle of each and having a tasting every now and then :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

...and why don't we have SQLBV in non-exceptional years? :P
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I can't help thinking that the lack of marketing around specific vintages of LBV, and LBV in general, is intentional and more than likely is very well thought out by the marketing teams.
Quite possibly, but the marketing teams would also not want to be left out - they are constantly trying to secure additional gongs for their products.
Any bad publicity at that point could be a disaster for a particular product, no matter how accurate or otherwise.
I don't see this as an exercise in naming and shaming. Proclaim the best, (possibly have a gold and silver award - or something like that..) have a list of highly commendeds, indicate on the press release the total number of LBVs sampled, but otherwise don't name the candidates that were tried and failed to impress, on missives that go beyond this site.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

As I said, I like the idea and would happily participate if we can persuade the producers to play. Or we could just buy the bottles from the supermarkets?
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

As I said, I like the idea and would happily participate if we can persuade the producers to play. Or we could just buy the bottles from the supermarkets?
Logic says ask the producers (- nicely!) and if there's insufficient response, top up the numbers from the supermarket (and merchant) shelves..

Tom

PS - perhaps this thread should split and carried over to the events section..
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote: perhaps this thread should split and carried over to the events section..
Done.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: An Annual LBV Horizontal

Post by jdaw1 »

Is this a complete-ist tasting, in which we try to get everything? Or is this a practical test: of those things widely available, which should I be buying?

If the former, the help of the shippers would be essential.

But if the latter, then all that is needed is what is available from the obvious places. This has the additional merit of avoiding the appearance of scrounging.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Is this a complete-ist tasting, in which we try to get everything? Or is this a practical test: of those things widely available, which should I be buying?

If the former, the help of the shippers would be essential.

But if the latter, then all that is needed is what is available from the obvious places. This has the additional merit of avoiding the appearance of scrounging.
I think it is the latter, and I entirely agree.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

My thoughts:

Primarily, I think this makes most sense as a test of the generally available annual offerings to the UK market (or, if there were to be NY chapter, to the US market). But the odd bottle that someone has picked up in Porto airport (or that Tom has been given by a producer) should not be excluded purely for that reason. Likewise TPF favourites (such as the Quevedo lbvs) that might not be considered "generally available" to the UK market should of course be included.

I would focus on "current year" releases, rather than previous years' stock (but, for instance, it might be nice to include eg: both the 2005 and 2006 Graham in the line-up since both are so widely available at supermarkets).

I would not restrict solely to what is available at supermarkets, but include other major outlets (BBR, Fortnum, Oddbins, Laithwaites etc.) or ports that are otherwise generally available (i'm not sure whether Niepoort lbv is carried at any "major" outlets, but it is certainly widely available).

B.o.Bs would be welcome, unless they are know to be exactly the same product as the producer-labelled bottle (where i would consider duplication unnecessary). So eg: the Berrys' Own Selection / Justerini and/or Fortnum offerings might be included, as might the Tesco/Sainsbury B.o.Bs.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Agreed: that is what I meant to say.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Perhaps we should start to compile a list of what is available and what we have?

I would suggest that we plan to do this in November so that the Christmas offerings are on the shelves and our thoughts can perhaps help others choose what to buy?

I have Croft 2005 Unfiltered LBV, which is currently available at Tesco at various prices between £7 to £15 depending on what offer they have on.

I also have Warre 1995 Bottle Matured LBV. I do not know whether or not this is still generally available.
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

The Warre 2000 LBV is presently available in a number o fplaces and I think I could obtain 1 or 2 to put forward, in the knowledge they will help give us some degree of enjoyable drinking!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If this is in November, not on a Thursday, then I might be able to attend. What dates work for others?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Monday 7th or Tuesday 8th would work for me.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

The current lbv selection in Tesco Henley:

Graham 2005 lbv
Tesco b.o.b 2005 lbv (Symington)
Taylor 2004 lbv
Noval 2005 lbv
Dow "Master Blend" 2006 lbv
Cockburn 2006 lbv

I read somewhere that Tesco are about to launch a big price-cut...
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

That suggests a variation on the theme: ‟LBVs: Tesco versus Sainsbury’s” or one of the obvious variations thereon. We could even invite their wine buyers.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:That suggests a variation on the theme: ‟LBVs: Tesco versus Sainsbury’s” or one of the obvious variations thereon. We could even invite their wine buyers.
I think our job is to rate the LBVs, not the supermarkets. Neither Tesco nor Sainsbury need our help to attract customers.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

RAYC wrote:The current lbv selection in Tesco Henley:

Graham 2005 lbv
Taylor 2004 lbv
Noval 2005 lbv
Cockburn 2006 lbv
The current lbv selection in Waitrose Barbican:

Graham 2006 lbv
Waitrose b.o.b. 2005 lbv (Symington)
Warre 2001 lbv
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

RAYC wrote:
RAYC wrote:The current lbv selection in Tesco Henley:

Graham 2005 lbv
Taylor 2004 lbv
Noval 2005 lbv
Cockburn 2006 lbv
The current lbv selection in Waitrose Barbican:

Graham 2006 lbv
Waitrose b.o.b. 2005 lbv (Symington)
Warre 2001 lbv
Waitrose now also have the Taylor 2005 lbv, with 25% off this week when purchasing 6.

Did we ever get round to setting a date for this...?
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

If there's not much enthusiasm for this, we could do a crusted v lbv tasting (idea stolen from FTLOP...).

4 crusteds, 4 lbvs, blind, and we rank them. "Judgement of TCP"

Pick some old favourites - eg:

Warre 2000, Noval and Niepoort 2003, Taylor 2003/Graham 2005 for lbvs,

Dow and Churchill 2002, Graham 2003 and Niepoort 2007 for crusteds.
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

As well as the regular Noval 2005 lbv, Tesco now have a Quinta do Noval "single vineyard" lbv - price unknown, pictue here
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:As well as the regular Noval 2005 lbv, Tesco now have a Quinta do Noval "single vineyard" lbv - price unknown, pictue here
I don't think this is a second wine. The label, which can be found elsewhere on the Vintus website, shows this to be "Quinta do Noval" LBV 2005. That signifies that the wine all comes from QdN rather than being made from bought in grapes, in which case it would be simply "Noval" LBV 2005. I think former years used the "Noval" designation so this looks like a change to the source of the grapes rather than the creation of a second brand.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:As well as the regular Noval 2005 lbv, Tesco now have a Quinta do Noval "single vineyard" lbv - price unknown, pictue here
I don't think this is a second wine. The label, which can be found elsewhere on the Vintus website, shows this to be "Quinta do Noval" LBV 2005. That signifies that the wine all comes from QdN rather than being made from bought in grapes, in which case it would be simply "Noval" LBV 2005. I think former years used the "Noval" designation so this looks like a change to the source of the grapes rather than the creation of a second brand.
I don't think it is a second wine - if anything, i would have thought it was Noval's "premium" lbv.

In any event, there are definitely two different (or at least differently labelled) 2005 lbvs - on the shelf in tesco, next to each other, I can guarantee that i saw with my own two eyes a Noval 2005 lbv (with the regular white label that looks broadly the same as the Noval 2003 lbv label) and a Quinta do Noval "single vineyard" 2005 lbv (with a black label, that Tesco would not let me purchase because it had no code, and which, as you say, you would expect to be made solely from grapes from QdN)

I will see if i can get hold of a bottle of each for Tuesday.
Rob C.