A Pint of Port

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

A Pint of Port

Post by DRT »

We have all heard of the term "A Pint of Port", and at least one of our members has tried to down one. So I thought it might be interesting to organise an event around this theme.

The idea is that a group of us turn up at a relatively informal venue with a few bottles of modest Port (a good LBV or Morgan 91) and each start the evening with a pint glass full of Port. Finishing the pint is entirely optional to each individual.

Attendees are welcome to choose to be Scottish or English for the evening.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: A Pint of Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:We have all heard of the term "A Pint of Port", and at least one of our members has tried to down one. So I thought it might be interesting to organise an event around this theme.

The idea is that a group of us turn up at a relatively informal venue with a few bottles of modest Port (a good LBV or Morgan 91) and each start the evening with a pint glass full of Port. Finishing the pint is entirely optional to each individual.

Attendees are welcome to choose to be Scottish or English for the evening.
Uh, I don't think that turned out too well last time it happened. although I do have a picture of it that will remained under lock and key until I die or the person in the picture dies, whichever comes first. :mrgreen:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

How many centilitres in a pint of port?

Is it around 50cl - the size of an imp?

I'm not overly keen on drinking an imp of just one port all night. I quite like getting together with my port chums and trying out several different bottles in the evening.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:How many centilitres in a pint of port?

Is it around 50cl - the size of an imp?

I'm not overly keen on drinking an imp of just one port all night. I quite like getting together with my port chums and trying out several different bottles in the evening.
A pint is almost exactly 56.8cl.

The idea is to {almost} reproduce the the style of drinking that led to us being able to enjoy many glasses of different shippers/vintages in a single evening. Pitt the Younger and Dr. Johnson did not have the luxury of a placemat and 16 different shippers of vintage 1991 on a Monday evening. They had to make do with a spit-roast hog, 15 broiled geese, 47 partridges and the sweetbreads of 14 Swaledale sheep stuffed in a pie and washed down with a pint of Red Port. Surely we can make the sacrifice for one night, especially if we go for pints of Fonseca 1977 and a bowl of chips at El Vino?
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

If we stick to just a pint there will be a fair few going thirsty by the end of the night!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:If we stick to just a pint there will be a fair few going thirsty by the end of the night!
But this is just to get us warmed up for the next historically-themed event "Ye Olde Six-bottle Men Tasting", where we shall dine heartily whilst glugging our way through half a case each and then gamble furiously before trying to shoot each other with 18th century pistols.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

This is a stupendous idea. Do we follow it by a 30-bottle vertical tasting the next day? Although somehow, buried somewhere in my subconscious, is a nagging doubt that it might not be such a good idea to carry out in practice, I’m sure it is nothing...

Of course, the pint of Port tradition was well established until at least August 1926:
André L. Simon, in [i]In the Twilight[/i], wrote:It was a very hot day, indeed, and we [ALS, Percy and Frederick, later Lord, Thellusson] had our traditional three bottles of Champagne [...] and it was more than enough for us both on such a hot day. But not for Frederick, who suggested a bottle of Vintage Port, and when we both quite firmly refused, he turned to Baker, our faithful cellarman, and asked for a pint of his own Port, not Port that he had made, but that Cockburn had made for him for years--their finest tawny wine with a dash of young vintage just before bottling. As Baker went to get this wine, Frederick shock his head rather sadly and mumbled audibly: "Degenerates, degenerates, both of you, beaten by the weather"--then he drank his pint of Port. With coffee and cigars we had a marvelous Hine 1844.
Perhaps we should start with a recreation of this, if anyone has a Hine 1844 lying around?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:They had to make do with a spit-roast hog...
Well, Portal Restaurant will do a roast suckling pig if we pre-order. If we were to have spit roast hog then I think I will be able to overcome all of my worries about drinking only one type of port all night.

Count me in!

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This appears to be gathering momentum.

From the above feedback I have derived the following minimum standards that would have to apply to such an event in order to gain support from enough members to make it worthwhile:

1. The port must be of a high standard, preferably mature and from a good quality shipper.

2. The pints of port would accompany a roast pig. Vegetarian roast pig might be available.

3. The roast pig and pints of port to be served by buxom wenches, ideally named Molly.

4. Emergency supplies must be on hand to ensure that no one goes thirsty.

I think I have covered everything but if there are any other suggestions please do put them forward.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Vegetarian roast pig might be available.
Delicious ambiguity.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:I think I have covered everything but if there are any other suggestions please do put them forward.
What about glasswear? Do we need to contact Sensible Wine Services?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Naturally, we will insist on lined over-size glasses.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:
DRT wrote:I think I have covered everything but if there are any other suggestions please do put them forward.
Do they supply pewter tankards? If so, then of course we should order them.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Do they supply pewter tankards?
Gently bang on table. Down contents in one. Slap hard onto table. Refill. Repeat.

What could go wrong?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:What could go wrong?
After the hard slap you find the tankard had a glass bottom?
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
JacobH wrote:
I can supply pewter tankards, if required.

I am warming to this idea.
Rob C.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

RAYC wrote:
DRT wrote:
JacobH wrote:
I can supply pewter tankards, if required.

I am warming to this idea.
Does pewter have a weird effect on the taste of Port? I seem to remember there is a problem with it and some drinks.

In any event a set of engraved tankards (pint-to-line, of course ;-)) to commemorate the event might be worthwhile!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote:In any event a set of engraved tankards (pint-to-line, of course ;-)) to commemorate the event might be worthwhile!
Do you have in mind a source who would be able to engrave a dozen straight, pint glasses in an appropriate font with a commemorative message along the lines of "The Port Forum Port Pint Night" and date?

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:straight, pint glasses
I much prefer the shape described by Wikipedia as ‟Nonic”. The fingers rest under the slight bulge usage is more robust against a momentary lessening of grip.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am not convinced by the idea of drinking a pint of Port from a lager glass as I am quite sure Pitt the Younger and his friends would have held their pints of port by a handle. Perhaps a good compromise would be to use the dimpled pint glass?

Or we could try to find a few of these?
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Surely gentlemen drink from glass tankards? How about one of these, engraved suitably as suggested by JDAW1:

http://www.classyglass.co.uk/acatalog/Tankards.html
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Splendid.

We need a plan.
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:Splendid.

We need a plan.
We could blend the single varietals from Oscar. They should equate to a pint or so! If more, we would all have our own unique port pint blend!
Ben
-------
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

benread wrote:

We need a plan.
We could blend the single varietals from Oscar. They should equate to a pint or so! If more, we would all have our own unique port pint blend!
All that effort Oscar went to in order to provide single varietels so that you can appreciate the differences between grape varieties. Then you suggest blending them straight away!!
Rob C.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

RAYC wrote:
benread wrote:

We need a plan.
All that effort Oscar went to in order to provide single varietels so that you can appreciate the differences between grape varieties. Then you suggest blending them straight away!!
I may have more than 1 though!
Ben
-------