A Pint of Port

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: A Pint of Port

Post by benread »

RAYC wrote:
benread wrote:
DRT wrote:Splendid.

We need a plan.
We could blend the single varietals from Oscar. They should equate to a pint or so! If more, we would all have our own unique port pint blend!
All that effort Oscar went to in order to provide single varietels so that you can appreciate the differences between grape varieties. Then you suggest blending them straight away!!
I may have more than 1 though!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

RAYC wrote:
benread wrote:
DRT wrote:Splendid.

We need a plan.
We could blend the single varietals from Oscar. They should equate to a pint or so! If more, we would all have our own unique port pint blend!
All that effort Oscar went to in order to provide single varietels so that you can appreciate the differences between grape varieties. Then you suggest blending them straight away!!
They are 200ml bottles. You could taste small samples of each and take notes, then blend the remainder and accomplish both objectives.

I found a blend heavy in Tinta Roriz and Sousao to be splendid. I was sadly unable to add Touriga Nacional to my blend, however, because that sample bottle was so badly corked that even I could taste it.

I have a second sampler set and look forward to trying the single varieties again.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

‟Blend Your Own Quevedo” is an excellent theme for a port tasting, but not for a port tasting that also has the quantity-based theme under discussion.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:‟Blend Your Own Quevedo” is an excellent theme for a port tasting, but not for a port tasting that also has the quantity-based theme under discussion.
I agree.

A suggestion: we identify a good quality, mature(ish), VP that would be suitable for this event and purchase a team case (6 or 12 bottles depending on how many are interested) and then meet somewhere to drink it.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:A suggestion: we identify a good quality, mature(ish), VP that would be suitable for this event and purchase a team case (6 or 12 bottles depending on how many are interested) and then meet somewhere to drink it.
I feel a plan coming together. Do we acquire one of these, too, for the purpose?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

I have a potential candidate for the reasonably-priced mature port for Jacob and I to test this evening.

I like the idea of decanting them all into a barrel, though there is the disastrous potential for one bad bottle to taint the whole batch...

I also like the idea of classyglass.
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Have we got any closer to a date for this event?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

No. Should we choose one? Perhaps a Monday or Thursday in late November to aid the attendance of jdaw1 and to avoid clashing with other tastings in October?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:No. Should we choose one? Perhaps a Monday or Thursday
Monday helps; Thursday prohibits. You might have meant ‟Monday or Tuesday”.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Indeed. Sorry.

What about the 21st or 22nd November?
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

With the Matrix tasting, Ronnie & Stevie's tasting, JDAW's Arrival tasting, the GC/SW/QH tasting, the BBR Port Walk and the Xmas tasting, I think i may have to be a wimp and rule myself out of this if it goes ahead this year.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:With the Matrix tasting, Ronnie & Stevie's tasting, JDAW's Arrival tasting, the GC/SW/QH tasting, the BBR Port Walk and the Xmas tasting, I think i may have to be a wimp and rule myself out of this if it goes ahead this year.
Perhaps a good option for a cold evening in January?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

RAYC wrote:With the Matrix tasting, Ronnie & Stevie's tasting, JDAW's Arrival tasting, the GC/SW/QH tasting, the BBR Port Walk and the Xmas tasting, I think i may have to be a wimp and rule myself out of this if it goes ahead this year.
Or to be used as a theme for either the Ronnie & Stevie tasting or for the JDAW+3 tasting?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Or to be used as a theme for either the Ronnie & Stevie tasting or for the JDAW+3 tasting?
jdaw1, early in the thread entitled [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5280]The arrival of Wiseman #3 and Wiseman #”“1[/url], wrote:For this event I have devised a stellar new theme, which will surely meet with general approbation, and matching placemats.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Perhaps we should have a formal planning session over beakers of tawny port at Gordon's Wine Bar
Rob C.