Berry Bros ‟Opening the Douro” Dinner: 14th March

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Berry Bros ‟Opening the Douro” Dinner: 14th March

Post by JacobH »

Berry Bros wrote:The Douro River in Portugal has long been known for its stunning scenery and its fiery Port wines. This remarkable viticultural region, however, is gradually gaining more and more recognition for its other styles of wine. Join Anne McHale as she welcomes you with the traditional Douro aperitif of white Port and tonic, before you delve into many other treasures which the Douro has to offer, including Quinta de la Rosa’s zesty white and fruity rosé, closely followed by Quinta do Noval and Quinta do Vesuvio’s aromatic, opulently velvety reds. These fine wines will be matched by a fabulous selection of dishes made by our Head Chef Stewart Turner. No Douro evening would be complete without a fine Port, in this case two: we will indulge you with Quinta do Noval’s sublimely smooth 40-year-old Tawny alongside a sumptuous chocolate dessert, before ending the evening in true style with cheese and Fonseca’s much-lauded 1977 vintage Port.

The following wines shall be served:
Quinta de la Rosa White Port
2009 Douro Branco Tonnix, Quinta de la Rosa
2009 Douro Rosé Tonnix, Quinta de la Rosa
2007 Douro, Quinta Do Noval
2007 Quinta do Vesuvio
Quinta do Noval, 40-year-old Tawny Port
1977 Fonseca
At £145 a ticket, not exactly cheap (and I hope that the Quinta de la Rosa white table-wine is better than when I last tried it...) but what looks like a fun selection.

They are also doing a cheaper sherry and a tokaji and madeira tasting in the coming months which I think I might attend; particularly the tokaji and madeira one.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Berry Bros ‟Opening the Douro” Dinner: 14th March

Post by DRT »

That is an awful lot of money for that line-up. Give me a TPF Off-line any day :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Berry Bros ‟Opening the Douro” Dinner: 14th March

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:That is an awful lot of money for that line-up. Give me a TPF Off-line any day :wink:
Indeed! Though, in fairness to Berry's it is a dinner rather than just a tasting which will account for some of the cost...