Port for sale by retailer

Anything to do with Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Agree on the naming. There are basically two companies which refuse to put "Colheita" on some of their bottles*. The whole "Single harvest tawny" thing drives me nuts. This isn't the 1600's anymore. I'm quite confident UK residents can figure out what Colheita means, just like the rest of the world has been using for a long time.
+1

Single Harvest Tawny (or Port) is just dumb. If you're so desperate to avoid using the word "Colheita", then call it Vintage Tawny. "Colheita" is sexier and has more cachet. "Single Harvest Tawny" sounds so... clinical. It's boring.

But really, the correct answer is to call it Colheita because that's what it is.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Agree on the naming. There are basically two companies which refuse to put "Colheita" on some of their bottles*. The whole "Single harvest tawny" thing drives me nuts. This isn't the 1600's anymore. I'm quite confident UK residents can figure out what Colheita means, just like the rest of the world has been using for a long time.
+1

Single Harvest Tawny (or Port) is just dumb. If you're so desperate to avoid using the word "Colheita", then call it Vintage Tawny. "Colheita" is sexier and has more cachet. "Single Harvest Tawny" sounds so... clinical. It's boring.

But really, the correct answer is to call it Colheita because that's what it is.
I think they would all be calling it "Vintage Tawny" if they were allowed, but I thought the rules precluded calling anything "Vintage" except (single harvest) Vintage (ruby) Port, to prevent confusion with all the "vintage character" issues we used to have previously. In that light, and if (whether we like it or not) most potential buyers see the word "Colheita" and move on since they don't understand it, "Single Harvest Tawny YYYY" seems reasonable; Dropping both "Tawny" and "Colheita" and simply calling it "Single Harvest Port" seems like the worst of all worlds however, as it doesn't seem to me like it would help the potential buyer and at worse could cause additional confusion. Changing the labelling rules to allow "Vintage Tawny YYYY" (for single-harvest tawnies only) might be a good solution, if it were possible (unless there is a case against it I have not considered).
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

PhilW wrote:I think they would all be calling it "Vintage Tawny" if they were allowed, but I thought the rules precluded calling anything "Vintage" except (single harvest) Vintage (ruby) Port, to prevent confusion with all the "vintage character" issues we used to have previously.
I believe that they had to change the rules to call it Single Harvest Tawny, so if they were going to go to the trouble to change the rules they should have changed them to call it Vintage Tawny.

Personally, I think the confusion in Vintage Character was compound. It wasn't a Vintage, it was a blend, so why does it say Vintage on the label? And what, exactly, is Character supposed to mean? (Rhetorical; I get what the label was supposed to convey.)

Neither of those issues are problems with Vintage Tawny, though its introduction would imply that Vintage Port should be re-named to Vintage Ruby.

But yes, I concur with your conclusion: Single Harvest Port is the worst of all.
Glenn Elliott
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

For those still after 2011 VP en primeur Tanners have acquired more stocks of Churchill (prior to a 20% increase in January apparently)-£195 for 6 (75 cl), £402 for 6 mags or £201 for 12 h/b..
denmans
Cruz Ruby

Post by denmans »

Private sale, offers, all in original box
Quinta do Vesuvio vintage 1997 x 6
Dows v 1997 x6
Warne v 1997 x12
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

denmans wrote:Private sale, offers, all in original box
Quinta do Vesuvio vintage 1997 x 6
Dows v 1997 x6
Warne v 1997 x12
Hello, and welcome to :tpf:.

Where are you? Are you and the boxes of bottles in the UK? And how have they been stored?
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

If anyone is in Luxembourg at the moment, he should go to the local Delhaize and buy a Graham's 10Y Tawny for 14,80 €. They seem to have a discount right now.
But there is no hurry, the normal price is just 15,69 €:
http://www.delhaizedirect.lu/fr/F-10190 ... -tawny-10y
(I love Luxembourg with it's 7% tax on alcohol)
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

idj123 wrote:For those still after 2011 VP en primeur Tanners have acquired more stocks of Churchill (prior to a 20% increase in January apparently)-£195 for 6 (75 cl), £402 for 6 mags or £201 for 12 h/b..
damn, for a moment I read that as a typo "6 mags (f)or £201" - wishful thinking, lol :-)
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

At the Drinkshop there is a dicount on their complete port range at the moment:
http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/pr ... p?catid=43
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

On a mission to discover Croft 04 LBVs, in a Tesco where they have been known to cluster, Taylor 85 was instead found, at £85. This particular store is a most peculiar location for a bottle at this price point. Are TFP just getting it into every Tesco they can? The Wine Society are featuring it as well at the moment; is this a cellar clearance?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:Taylor 85 was instead found, at £85.
djewesbury wrote:is this a cellar clearance?
At that price, "clearance" isn't the word I would use.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:On a mission to discover Croft 04 LBVs, in a Tesco where they have been known to cluster, Taylor 85 was instead found, at £85. This particular store is a most peculiar location for a bottle at this price point. Are TFP just getting it into every Tesco they can? The Wine Society are featuring it as well at the moment; is this a cellar clearance?
Tesco have had T85 on the shelves in their large (mega?)stores near us for several years, at around that price. The smaller (super?)stores here don't carry it.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote: At that price, "clearance" isn't the word I would use.
Yes, accepted. I just wondered why a supermarket branch not normally replete with luxury goods (or even some of the basic staples) should be stocking T85.
PhilW wrote:Tesco have had T85 on the shelves in their large (mega?)stores near us for several years, at around that price. The smaller (super?)stores here don't carry it.
I think this answers my question. It's just stock rotation.
Move along please, nothing to see here.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Waitrose are doing their BOB 2011 vintage port for £26 a bottle down from £30. I think you still get 5% off if you buy 6. It mentions Quinta de la Rosa on the bottle.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

It is Quinta de la Rosa. And very fine port that is too.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Where have you been?
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Waitrose have some promotions on some of their ports:
Taylor 2008 LBV £15
Graham 2008 LBV £10.39
Warre 2003 Bottle Aged LBV £18.49
Taylor Vargellas 2001 £25.99
Cockburn Special Reserve £10
Taylor 10 yo tawny £18
Waitrose Own Label (de la Rosa) 2011 vintage port £26

Plus a further 5% off if you buy 6 bottles or more.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Sainsbury have their occasional 25% off deal running again at the moment for any 6 bottles of wine/port/etc.
No additional specific bottle offers of note to give combined reduction, but I did grab a couple more g98crusted along with some wine.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

No Port, but En Premeur have 15% off all of their wines apart from 2012 and 2013 until midnight on Tuesday.

Some of the discounted Bordeaux prices don't make you wince quite as much as normal.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Sainsbury have their occasional 25% off deal running again at the moment for any 6 bottles of wine/port/etc.
No additional specific bottle offers of note to give combined reduction, but I did grab a couple more g98crusted along with some wine.
The G98 Crusted is lovely juice. With the discount this comes in at just £13.50 for a good Crusted with 16 years of bottle age - not shabby!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

Waitrose have there buy 6 and get 25% off offer at the moment this means the 2011 Quinta de la Rosa now only £22.50 a bottle :)
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

CPR 1 wrote:Waitrose have there buy 6 and get 25% off offer at the moment this means the 2011 Quinta de la Rosa now only £22.50 a bottle :)
This is a disaster. I had promised myself a half dozen (or a dozen?) of the H&H 15yo Verdelho and now the 2011 seems such a steal. :?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The 2011 de la Rosa is rather good.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Even when you've already paid almost twice this price for it.. Oh well. I suppose it's all in its nice big wooden boxes. That must be worth the extra.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Carrefour, Barneville-Carteret, Normandy, 8th August 2014.

There was also a Madère Cruz at €6.34 a bottle.