Campbell's Merchant Prince Rare Muscat

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Campbell's Merchant Prince Rare Muscat

Post by KillerB »

From the F-Plan II tasting in Utrecht, 9th July, 2010.

Had before the Ports at the Utrecht Fonseca bash. Bought from the winery in Rutherglen the week after Wine Spectator gave it a ton, so was limiting purchases to one bottle. That was alright, I only wanted one, and I knew who I wanted to share it with as well. Only available in 37.5 cl, which was more than enough for 14 people. It's fortified to 18% and uses wines up to, I think, 30 years old, or averages 30 or something like that.

Dark and gloopy, with the obvious likening to PX. Lots of milk chocolate and orange but a very thick mouthfeel. Bits of caramel and honey, berries and spice popped in and about. A very complex syrup indeed. I prefer the Isabella Rare Tokay, which shows more rancio characteristics, but I still put this in as an absolutely gorgeous drink. Not everybody will like it but I do.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Campbell's Merchant Prince Rare Muscat

Post by DRT »

Did it taste like candle wax? (like all Musky things taste to me!)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Campbell's Merchant Prince Rare Muscat

Post by RonnieRoots »

Thanks for bringing this bottle KillerB, it was fabulous. It was a good thing there were plenty glasses around, as I'm sure the taste of this wine would have gone straight through Fonseca 1975 even after rigorous rinsing. But maybe that would have been a good thing... :wink: