Suggestions for future tastings?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Suggestions for future tastings?

Post by Chris Doty »

I know we have a lot already on the docket for the coming weeks, but I thought I might humbly suggest some ideas for future tastings that could be interesting:

1.) Croft vs. Warre (66, 70, 77, 85 vintages, served head to head, single blind)
2.) Best 'daily drinker' (Quinta do Noval Black, Warre Warrior, Bin 27, Taylor First Estate, etc)
3.) 1987 horizontal (all the usual suspects)

Any thing grab your fancy? Other themes worth suggesting?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Suggestions for future tastings?

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote:2.) Best 'daily drinker' (Quinta do Noval Black, Warre Warrior, Bin 27, Taylor First Estate, etc)
Commendation for not suggesting a pink tasting.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Chris Doty wrote:2.) Best 'daily drinker' (Quinta do Noval Black, Warre Warrior, Bin 27, Taylor First Estate, etc)
Commendation for not suggesting a pink tasting.
JDAW, this one could be useful to you in that it will boost the number of :tpf: tastings that you didn't ask for Wifely permission to attend.

Chris,

All good suggestions and perhaps AHB can add them to the thread he maintains on this subject. I think if we end up doing suggestion 2, the attendees should be free to bring a second bottle of something for the post dinner flight :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Hahaha -- actually, given the lower price points on the daily drinkers, I'd expect us to end up with 2-3 bottles per person. Perhaps a better name for the tasting could be 'best port value readily found under 20gbp' or something to that effect (i.e., being a bit more inclusive regarding eligibility). I'm really eager to try Noval Black, and I've also heard good things about the Distinction by Croft as well.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Chris,

I am not in a position to search the old threads, but we did do a "vintage under GBP15" theme when I first got involved in TPF. It was a very interesting theme and showed some great inventiveness amongst members in securing their daily drinkers. It was all vintage I recall!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

benread wrote:I am not in a position to search the old threads, but we did do a "vintage under GBP15" theme when I first got involved in TPF. It was a very interesting theme and showed some great inventiveness amongst members in securing their daily drinkers. It was all vintage I recall!
A variation on that theme which appeals to me would be to blind taste LBVs produced in major vintage years against the VPs from the same shippers from the same years (e.g. Niepoort 2000 LBV v Niepoort 2000 VP) to see if we could tell the difference. It would, of course, only work with shippers that do a decent LBV...