Quinta dos Malvedos: 22nd March 2010

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Deleted_User_1

Re: Quinta dos Malvedos: 22nd March 2010

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

JacobH wrote:It appears we are now on with the Graham 1955, thanks to Uncle Tom 88)

In terms of payment for the addition £7.50:

Andy, Chris, Christopher: could you please bring another £7.50 in cash on the night?

Alex; Axel; Derek; Tom; I will contact you as things are slightly complex.

Ben, Ray, Wolfgang (+ Dirk): could you either transfer another £7.50 to me (ideally), or, alternatively, bring another £7.50 in cash on the night?
Money tranferred...see you on 23rd :D
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Cookie wrote:
JacobH wrote:It appears we are now on with the Graham 1955, thanks to Uncle Tom 88)

In terms of payment for the addition £7.50:

Andy, Chris, Christopher: could you please bring another £7.50 in cash on the night?

Alex; Axel; Derek; Tom; I will contact you as things are slightly complex.

Ben, Ray, Wolfgang (+ Dirk): could you either transfer another £7.50 to me (ideally), or, alternatively, bring another £7.50 in cash on the night?
Money tranferred...see you on 23rd :D
I mean 22nd :roll: ...it seems that I have the same problem as Wollfgang...more Port required. :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Updated current draft of the placemats:
  • 1955 added;
  • As 4×3 on A3 is the same size circle as 2×3 on A4, using smaller paper size for ease of transport.
  • Flightings removed pending instruction.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:Updated current draft of the placemats:
  • 1955 added;
  • As 4×3 on A3 is the same size circle as 2×3 on A4, using smaller paper size for ease of transport.
  • Flightings removed pending instruction.
Excellent. Many thanks. I wonder if the regular Vintages should be demarcated in a different manner than by the radius decoration? Because of the way in which the pattern appears, the 1966 looks quite different from the 1970.
JacobH wrote:Other thoughts: could we call the Ports Graham’s and Graham’s Malvedos rather than Graham and Graham Malvedos? (That is unless anyone can substantiate the rumour that has been around for years that the very youngest Malvedos will finally be released as a Quinta dos Malvedos SQVP?)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Updated current draft of the placemats, looking far worse:
  • Apostrophes added;
  • Graham’s is plain.
1995 or 1996?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:Updated current draft of the placemats, looking far worse:
  • Apostrophes added;
  • Graham’s is plain.
Yes, sorry, you are correct. Any chance of a reversion?

Not sure about the answer to the 1995/6 question yet.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

• Typefaces changed, allowing retention of apostrophes.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Ben & Ray, your £7.50 have been received. Many thanks.
This file seems unwilling to open on my machine (looking at its contents, I wonder there was a problem in the PS to PDF conversion). Is there any chance you could re-generate it?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:
This file seems unwilling to open on my machine (looking at its contents, I wonder there was a problem in the PS to PDF conversion). Is there any chance you could re-generate it?
Done, and re-uploaded. Then downloaded down from server and tested to confirm that it opens with both Mac Preview and Adobe Professional: it does.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
JacobH wrote:
Done, and re-uploaded. Then downloaded down from server and tested to confirm that it opens with both Mac Preview and Adobe Professional: it does.
Great. Many thanks. Excellent choice in Optima, too.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Placemats look excellent, Julian. Thanks

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
SCP-DFF
Taylor’s LBV

Post by SCP-DFF »

DRT wrote:Have you considered telling SCP-DFF that she is being entirely unreasonable and that her behaviour is unacceptable and an infringement of your basic human rights?

In the unlikely event that the above doesn't make SCP-DFF see sense, do you want us to come to Paris in a white van and kindnap you on 21st March?

Sorry about this, boys, but it just happens to be our daughter's 4th birthday. Although Julian doesn't care about birthdays, and I wouldn't be the one so upset, it's actually his daughter he'd have to answer too. And THAT might prove to be worse than me being upset with him. If it was my birthday, I'd probably let him go. He'd have to make it up to me in the end. See, I'm totally reasonable!

If he can negotiate something with Sophia, then you have a port-drinking teammate. Unlikely though.

Sorry!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

SCP-DFF wrote:
DRT wrote:Have you considered telling SCP-DFF that she is being entirely unreasonable and that her behaviour is unacceptable and an infringement of your basic human rights?

In the unlikely event that the above doesn't make SCP-DFF see sense, do you want us to come to Paris in a white van and kindnap you on 21st March?

Sorry about this, boys, but it just happens to be our daughter's 4th birthday. Although Julian doesn't care about birthdays, and I wouldn't be the one so upset, it's actually his daughter he'd have to answer too. And THAT might prove to be worse than me being upset with him. If it was my birthday, I'd probably let him go. He'd have to make it up to me in the end. See, I'm totally reasonable!

If he can negotiate something with Sophia, then you have a port-drinking teammate. Unlikely though.

Sorry!
Dear Sophia,

Have you heard about the wonderful toy shop called Hamleys? It's the perfect place for a 4 year old girl to visit for her birthday because it's full of the most fantastic shiny things that your devoted Daddy could buy for you as a bribe...sorry, birthday present. The only small problem is that you have to get there by train, but I'm sure your Daddy would take you.

Lots of love, from your Daddy's port drinking chums.

PS - how could your Daddy forget your birthday! After all, the day you were born was the (equal) second most important day of his life! When you are a little bit older and can get hold of your Daddy's diary / blackberry / calendar then you will have to put in there your birthday, your brother's birthday and your Mummy's birthday so that Daddy never forgets again.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think it is appropriate to issue a Yellow Card to AHB for his inappropriate behaviour in the above post. When a friend's Mrs decides to give him a public flogging in front of his chums I think it is unnecessary to rub salt in his wounds at a time when he needs our support.

Shame on you AHB. :roll:

But I did LOL when I read SCP-DFF's post this morning.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:Excellent choice in Optima, too.
One of my favourite sans-serif typefaces. Is there a slight trace of Art Deco in its design? Shame that I have don’t have an extra-bold or black version.

I didn’t forget anybody’s birthday. I know them. But I did fail to notice that trhe date of this tasting was one of them.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:I think it is appropriate to issue a Yellow Card to AHB for his inappropriate behaviour in the above post. When a friend's Mrs decides to give him a public flogging in front of his chums I think it is unnecessary to rub salt in his wounds at a time when he needs our support.

I was only trying to be helpful! I thought if Mrs W reads the forum then perhaps Miss W lurks here and that my post would be helpful

However, I accept that perhps I should be relgated to meaningless drivel.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:I think it is appropriate to issue a Yellow Card to AHB for his inappropriate behaviour in the above post. When a friend's Mrs decides to give him a public flogging in front of his chums I think it is unnecessary to rub salt in his wounds at a time when he needs our support.

But I did LOL when I read SCP-DFF's post this morning.
What a good laugh these posts gave me today.

But in reality Julian was just going to the tasting to check which Ports he needed to buy for his daughter to drink on her birthday when she gets older. So while missing a young birthday now, he was preparing to buy her a gift of a life time for later in life. And a gift anyone would love....er, well, maybe not everyone :lol:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SCP-DFF wrote:If it was my birthday, I'd probably let him go. He'd have to make it up to me in the end. See, I'm totally reasonable!
Note the thorough reasonableness and general all-round wonderfulness of my missus.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
SCP-DFF wrote:If it was my birthday, I'd probably let him go. He'd have to make it up to me in the end. See, I'm totally reasonable!
Note the thorough reasonableness and general all-round wonderfulness of my missus.
Don't try to use us to rescue the situation. Just take you punishment like a man and report back when you are next "allowed" to attend a tasting.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Whilst searching through my wine fridge this evening I stumbled across a rogue Malvedos 1998 that I didn't know I had. It seems wrong to not allow it to come out play with its siblings on 22nd March.

Does anyone strongly object to having 25 rather than 24 bottles?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

• ‘Rogue’ 1998 Malvedos added !
  • ! Necessitating three pages for the second flight.
  • Please, 1995 or 1996?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Whilst searching through my wine fridge this evening I stumbled across a rogue Malvedos 1998 that I didn't know I had. It seems wrong to not allow it to come out play with its siblings on 22nd March.

Does anyone strongly object to having 25 rather than 24 bottles?
  • ‘Rogue’ 1998 Malvedos added
I hereby invoke Rule 47(b): If a member suggests adding a bottle to a tasting and no member objects prior to the Placemats being updated all subsequent objections are null and void.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Please, 1995 or 1996?
I will ask.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Rule 47(c) wrote:If a member suggests adding a bottle to a tasting, and that bottle fits the theme of the tasting (such as being ‟vintage port”), and that bottle won’t embarrass a wine-maker who is present, the answer is yes.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:I hereby invoke Rule 47(b): If a member suggests adding a bottle to a tasting and no member objects prior to the Placemats being updated all subsequent objections are null and void.
jdaw1 wrote:
Rule 47(c) wrote:If a member suggests adding a bottle to a tasting, and that bottle fits the theme of the tasting (such as being ‟vintage port”), and that bottle won’t embarrass a wine-maker who is present, the answer is yes.
Due to the clear and overwhelming concensus of opinion that it is the right thing to do, I have taken the liberty of adding GM98 to the line-up in the opening post of this thread.
Ernest H. Cockburn