Port and Chocolate

Anything to do with Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Port and Chocolate

Post by KillerB »

Noting the Port and food thread. Chocolate is not food. Chocolate is chocolate. Port and chocolate is a proper combination.

Having tasted Port with all sorts of chocolate in the past, from a Mars Bar through to the best that Neuhaus can offer, with a particular penchant for Leonidas, I can confirm that it has its place. Sometimes, it can kill the Port, being far too strong and taking all the sweetness and structure out. Sometimes it doesn't add anything; just distractes. However, sometimes it will complement the Port so beautifully that you would think that they were made for each other.

Time to put two wonders of civilised consumption together.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Port and Chocolate

Post by DRT »

I agree. But not with a fine VP. I do have chocolate with port but it tends to be limited to either (a) LBV and good quality dark chocolate or (b) at the end of an off-line attended by KillerB where he makes me eat whatever he brought along with the last few glasses of Fonseca 1966 :shock:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:I agree. But not with a fine VP. I do have chocolate with port but it tends to be limited to either (a) LBV and good quality dark chocolate or (b) at the end of an off-line attended by KillerB where he makes me eat whatever he brought along with the last few glasses of Fonseca 1966 :shock:
When has a Fonseca 1966 ever lasted until the end of an off-line?

However, I would generally have chocolate with younger VPs, tawnies and LBVs. Can't think of a reason to check it out with vintages in their prime.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
DRT wrote:I agree. But not with a fine VP. I do have chocolate with port but it tends to be limited to either (a) LBV and good quality dark chocolate or (b) at the end of an off-line attended by KillerB where he makes me eat whatever he brought along with the last few glasses of Fonseca 1966 :shock:
When has a Fonseca 1966 ever lasted until the end of an off-line?

However, I would generally have chocolate with younger VPs, tawnies and LBVs. Can't think of a reason to check it out with vintages in their prime.
I seem to remember you bringing some to the F-Plan and on the 2 man off-line we had in Coventry a few months ago. Am I wrong?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I am chocoholic, but do not find port and chocolate to be ideal; too much sweet stuff going on.

Tawny or Madeira would be my first picks for chocolate pairings.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

mosesbotbol wrote:Tawny or Madeira would be my first picks for chocolate pairings.
I've never really liked VP with chocolate, but I too like Tawny Ports with chocolate.

VP works okay with dark chocolate, but just okay. A good tawny and a good semi-sweet chocolate elevate both.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I'd have to agree with the semi sweet chocolate too.

Dark chocolate is just too bitter and potent for me that it blows away anything.

They only thing that I think would pair with dark chocolate for me is a blue cheese.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

:lol: dark chocolate flavored blue cheese? :lol: :nirvana:
g-man wrote:They only thing that I think would pair with dark chocolate for me is a blue cheese.
you've got a friend in cheeses
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

TBird wrote::lol: dark chocolate flavored blue cheese? :lol: :nirvana:
g-man wrote:They only thing that I think would pair with dark chocolate for me is a blue cheese.
dark chocolate covered blue cheese
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Dark chocolate covered bacon.
Glenn Elliott
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Dark chocolate works very well for me with a young VP, LBV or Crusted. Niepoort sells very nice chocolates of Belgian make, with bits of black pepper in it, they go extremely well with their LBV's.

Milk chocolate can work well with tawnies, although I like it best if the tawny isn't too old, so a 10YO would be perfect.