Niepoort oddity

Anything to do with Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Niepoort oddity

Post by JacobH »

SushiNorth wrote:
JacobH wrote:
Winesearcher wrote:Sorry, NO MATCHING WINES found for your search for 1931 quinta do noval nacional.
we're talking newer wines from major houses.
Winesearcher wrote:Sorry, NO MATCHING WINES found for your search for 2004 vargellas vinha velha.
:P

(But it did take quite a lot of searching; Morgan ’91 used to work, but no longer)
Glenn E. wrote:I can almost make them out in the picture included in the thread... if the original picture is any larger I'm sure we could figure it out.
Indeed. I think the one, second from left, is something like [x]778796.

Also, on the large image, with the contrast adjusted, I think I can make out some letters which might either be a watermark or under the label. This is very rough but should show you where I am looking:
ehanced.jpg
ehanced.jpg (77.82 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
(Yes the file name is misspelt :-) )
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

On the original picture, those letters are relatively clear if you tip your head to the side.

From bottom to top, it appears to read R O S G. The 'S' is more difficult to discern than the other letters, and to me the 'R' sometimes looks like a 'P' so it might read P O S G.

Neither of those make any sense to me, though.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Oh, and one counter-point to the fake claim.

The 2007 Ports are just now being bottled... in April of 2009. So a March 1992 bottling of a 1990 VP doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think the June bottling thing is a red herring and unconnected to the fake claim. I am fairly sure that the IVDP cannot tell you which type of port a particular serial number relates to. They can only tell you which shipper/bottler they were issued to. They key things for me are:

1. The capsules are just not right. Niepoort have used the current set of yellow, red and gold capsules since before these were supposedly bottled.
2. I have never seen a Niepoort port with anything other than a stenciled label.
3. I don't recognise the logo on these labels as belonging to Niepoort
4. IVDP guarantee labels are easy to replicate

But the clincher for me is...

5. Niepoort say they are fakes :P

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

A couple observations.

One, isn't it the auction house's job to authenticate different lots of wine? This lot leapt out at a couple of you guys as something quite different than other known Niepoort ports. Someone should be asking the auction house what the heck they are selling there, especially in light of the note you have from Niepoort. Having recently read "The Billionaire's Vinegar" about the faked bottles of 18th century Lafite supposedly owned by American founding father Thomas Jefferson, I was extremely troubled by the cozy relationship between the auction houses, their sources for wine, and the wine critics. I would be very, very careful buying any wine older than 50 years. Great read, by the way.

Two, if these are fakes, why did they pick such off vintage years? Odd.

Three, doesn't Vintage Niepoort have the coolest bottles? I love the yellow capsule and the industrial cast of the glass. It looks like it should have castor oil in it instead of wine. I noted that there is another thread on the board about the 1997 Niepoort. Put me down as yet another owner of a leaker. I drank it early a year or so ago and, while I didn't write down a tasting note, thought something was "off" with my bottle.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Portman wrote:A couple observations.

One, isn't it the auction house's job to authenticate different lots of wine? This lot leapt out at a couple of you guys as something quite different than other known Niepoort ports. Someone should be asking the auction house what the heck they are selling there, especially in light of the note you have from Niepoort. Having recently read "The Billionaire's Vinegar" about the faked bottles of 18th century Lafite supposedly owned by American founding father Thomas Jefferson, I was extremely troubled by the cozy relationship between the auction houses, their sources for wine, and the wine critics. I would be very, very careful buying any wine older than 50 years. Great read, by the way.

Two, if these are fakes, why did they pick such off vintage years? Odd.
Something interesting I've learned from the guys across the pound is that houses will bottle ports but not officially "declare" them. So you may have some mystery bottles sometimes. Relating to off vintage years.
Last edited by g-man on 21:25 Fri 03 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:But the clincher for me is...

5. Niepoort say they are fakes :P
I’m disappointed that you accepted them at their word. I was hoping for another conspiracy theory, as it’s a while since we last had one of them! :)

One other way in which the selos might be demonstrably fake is if they have the same number on more than one bottle...
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Since they all look the same, and as far as I can see they all have different Selo serial numbers, I'd say someone removed a label from a real bottle and put these fakes on.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

This thread has become popular all of a sudden. Let's try to get some things straight here:

[quote="SD]Niepoort is trying something new.[/quote]
I don't think they are. These aren't commercial releases by Niepoort, and certainly not something they are making these days.
DRT wrote:I emailed and sent a picture of these bottles to Niepoort today and their conclusion is that they are fake!!!!
Andy V wrote:We think alike, as I to sent Dirk an email late last night about these
Andy, what did Dirk say?

Now, why would someone produce fakes like this? If it's an attempt to sell fake VP it's a job bad done. 1984 and 1990 both weren't declared, and have no auction value to speak of. Niepoort, while very much loved by conaisseurs, is not a house that stands very high on the auction ladder, certainly not 15-20 years ago, when the focus was even more on the classic producers than it is now. If you're doing this kind of stuff, it would make much more sense to print a "Nacional 1963" label than a "Niepoort 1984" one, now wouldn't it?
uncle tom wrote:If the original photo is clear enough to read the guarantee number on one of the bottles, the IVDP should be able to tell you what they really are..
I don't have any other pictures than this.
SushiNorth wrote:Now I know why i've been staring at these so long. I've never seen a Niepoort with a printed label.
DRT wrote:2. I have never seen a Niepoort port with anything other than a stenciled label.
Niepoort has definitely used printed labels in the past. I have an empty bottle of 1966 with a printed label, which BTW also is in a 'regular' port bottle, not the one Niepoort usually uses. Garrafeiras always have printed labels. Nowadays the labels of Junior Tinto and Senior Tawny are also printed.
DRT wrote:3. I don't recognise the logo on these labels as belonging to Niepoort
It does. I have an old Niepoort brochure that carries the same logo (it's in Utrecht, so can't post pictures unfortunately). They also used to use this logo for bottles of barrel samples (although the labels were slightly different). Anybody who has ever been to the Niepoort lodge will recognise the small tasting room, that's stacked with sample bottles. These have the same logo on them.
SushiNorth" wrote:The [auction house, RR] website, btw, listed some of those bottles as LBV, some without designation. They all sold very high for being fakes.
The LBV's were in a different lot and were designated as such. The only ones without designation were in this lot. The LBV's sold for a price that's not bad for LBV's of that age (and from a producer whose LBV's are known to age very well).

I don't think they are fakes. I just don't see the reason. Given that these bottles were offered in an auction with an extreme high number of Niepoort ports (lots of 1977, 1975 and 1978), I think that an importer sold of old stock. These bottles can easily have been something that Niepoort sent to them for one reason or another. Maybe to get some feedback on the quality of the vintage, or perhaps they were meant as a specific bottling for some occasion. We can be sure that it's not something that was ever put into the market as a "Niepoort product", but I do believe this is an actual Niepoort port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

RonnieRoots wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:Now I know why i've been staring at these so long. I've never seen a Niepoort with a printed label.
DRT wrote:2. I have never seen a Niepoort port with anything other than a stenciled label.
Niepoort has definitely used printed labels in the past. I have an empty bottle of 1966 with a printed label, which BTW also is in a 'regular' port bottle, not the one Niepoort usually uses. Garrafeiras always have printed labels. Nowadays the labels of Junior Tinto and Senior Tawny are also printed.
Given that these bottles were offered in an auction with an extreme high number of Niepoort ports (lots of 1977, 1975 and 1978), I think that an importer sold of old stock. These bottles can easily have been something that Niepoort sent to them for one reason or another. Maybe to get some feedback on the quality of the vintage, or perhaps they were meant as a specific bottling for some occasion.
One of the possibilities I considered was a tasting sample or some "other" bottle sent around by Niepoort, which might explain printed labels -- or the need for replacement labels, but I doubted such a thing would have a Garantia on them. Now on Niepoort's "Process" webpage...

We see José Nogueira with normal-shaped bottles in front of him, labels everywhere, and on the top shelf over his left shoulder two bottles with black or blue capsules and large white labels (possibly the junior, possibly something else).
RonnieRoots wrote:
DRT wrote:3. I don't recognise the logo on these labels as belonging to Niepoort
It does. I have an old Niepoort brochure that carries the same logo (it's in Utrecht, so can't post pictures unfortunately). They also used to use this logo for bottles of barrel samples (although the labels were slightly different). Anybody who has ever been to the Niepoort lodge will recognise the small tasting room, that's stacked with sample bottles. These have the same logo on them.
Yes, I'll confirm that logo, it's the same that's on the capsule from my '87 and it appears on capsules on their website. BUT a clean version of it is not available on their website. So where might a faker get it? Ah, looks like there are some old copies floating around the web... Image
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Niepoort Crest.jpg
Niepoort Crest.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 5451 times

Real or fake?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

while a fun topic, lets set some things straight...when the owner of the company, who's family has owned it almost from conception in the 1800's, says it's fake....then it's fake! kinda hard to dispute that one.
Now, why would someone produce fakes like this?
Why would anyone fake a 1933 Croft VP? Not a great year, Croft didn't even make a VP that year, yet someone made a fake of this! Remember this was pre-internet as we know it today. It was hard to get information in any timely fashion back then. No emailing a photo, email, etc. It all would have gone by regular Post...if you knew the address to ship it to (again pre-internet so you couldn't just look it up online). Forgers have made all kinds of fakes and sell them to unsuspection people. If it cost 1 pound back then for a cheap ruby Port and you relabeled it with a fake label and sold it for 3 or 4 pounds you just amde one heck of a profit for very little work. Besides it is often times easier to fake the obsucre inexpensive stuff as people aren't as suspicious. You put a 1931 Nacional for sale it will garner a lot of attention and scrutiny. Put an off year VP up by a small independant producer that was not as well know world wide then and you'll have a far easier time selling it.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy V wrote:while a fun topic, lets set some things straight...when the owner of the company, who's family has owned it almost from conception in the 1800's, says it's fake....then it's fake! kinda hard to dispute that one.
That same owner has been known to provide lists of his own products that aren't entirely accurate. :) If he can forget something as notable as his own 1964 Garrafeira, then I have no doubt he could forget a random sample sent out to a random bottler/importer/whatever many years ago.

I'm not saying that's what happened, I'm just saying that his declaration that these are fakes based on a quick email isn't entirely bulletproof. Given time to research the matter, inspect the bottles/pictures, check records... then of course his word would be final in my mind.
Glenn Elliott
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I get stuck on the question "why would anyone take the trouble to fake something that was going to have so little value?"

The choice of dates and choice of shipper are too obviously not right for making a quick buck. On the other hand, the inclusion of the month of bottling is a little idiosyncrasy that Niepoort has been known to indulge..

My guess is that it is more likely to be a few bottles from small, genuine 'friends and family' bottlings, that were never intended for general distribution, and don't appear in any past catalogue.

It is quite possible that whoever dealt with your enquiry at Niepoort is unaware that they were ever made, and therefore concluded that they must be fake.

Next time someone vists Niepoort, take the photo and ask Dirk in person.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

uncle tom wrote:I get stuck on the question "why would anyone take the trouble to fake something that was going to have so little value?"

The choice of dates and choice of shipper are too obviously not right for making a quick buck. On the other hand, the inclusion of the month of bottling is a little idiosyncrasy that Niepoort has been known to indulge..

My guess is that it is more likely to be a few bottles from small, genuine 'friends and family' bottlings, that were never intended for general distribution, and don't appear in any past catalogue.

It is quite possible that whoever dealt with your enquiry at Niepoort is unaware that they were ever made, and therefore concluded that they must be fake.

Next time someone vists Niepoort, take the photo and ask Dirk in person.

Tom
I am very much with you on this one Tom.