What constitutes a "General Declaration"?

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

What constitutes a "General Declaration"?

Post by DRT »

In gathering data for the port declarations database I have started to wonder what criteria is applied when the term "General Declaration" is used to describe a vintage. Until now I believed this was something to do with the number f wines declared but now question that logic.

For example, according to my as yet incomplete and unvalidated data, the following shippers declared in 1982:
  1. Andresen
  2. Barros
  3. Borges & Irmão
  4. Cálem
  5. Champalimaud Quinta do Côtto
  6. Churchill
  7. Quinta do Convento de São Pedro das Aguias
  8. Croft
  9. Cruz
  10. Dalva (aka Presidential, aka C da Silva)
  11. Delaforce
  12. Douro Wine Shippers’ and Growers’ Association
  13. Dow
  14. Feist
  15. Ferreira
  16. Hooper
  17. Quinta do Infantado
  18. Kopke
  19. Krohn
  20. Martinez (Harvey)
  21. Messias Quinta do Cachão
  22. Niepoort
  23. Quinta do Noval
  24. Quinta do Noval Nacional
  25. Offley Boa Vista
  26. Osborne
  27. A. Pinto dos Santos
  28. Poças
  29. Ramos-Pinto
  30. Quinta da Romaneira
  31. Royal Oporto
  32. Rozès
  33. Sandeman
  34. Cálem Quinta da Foz
  35. Dow Quinta do Bomfim
  36. Ferreira Quinta do Seixo
  37. Fonseca Guimaraens
  38. Fonseca Quinta do Cruzeiro
  39. Graham Malvedos
  40. Martinez Quinta da Eira Velha
  41. Taylor Quinta de Terra Feita
  42. Taylor Quinta de Vargellas
  43. Warre Quinta da Cavadinha
That is 33 classic blend or 1st brand wines plus 10 second brand or SQVPs from major producers.

However, excluding 2 SQVPs by major shippers, only 31 shippers declared 1977. :shock:

There are other examples.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: What constitutes a "General Declaration"?

Post by jdaw1 »

A general declaration is a year such that, three decades later, there are at least a dozen houses that declared a port such that, if one of those ports was opened for me I would say something like ‟yummy thank you”.

This includes 1970, but excludes 1931, 1982 and 1975.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:A general declaration is a year such that, three decades later, there are at least a dozen houses that declared a port such that, if one of those ports was opened for me I would say something like ‟yummy thank you”.

It is quite impressive that the port producers of 1970 knew exactly what you would find to be yummy 39 years after making their wines. That is a skill that not many people have.

...and exactly how many of the 43 declared vintage ports of 1982 have you tasted to be able to determine that the vintage would not pass your criteria?
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote: ...and exactly how many of the 43 declared vintage ports of 1982 have you tasted to be able to determine that the vintage would not pass your criteria?
is that a tasting throwdown i see?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

g-man wrote:
DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote: ...and exactly how many of the 43 declared vintage ports of 1982 have you tasted to be able to determine that the vintage would not pass your criteria?
is that a tasting throwdown i see?
Oh, no. I've done it now - haven't I?

Anyone for a 43 bottle 1982 horizontal?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:It is quite impressive that the port producers of 1970 knew exactly what you would find to be yummy 39 years after making their wines. That is a skill that not many people have.
Actually, several people have it, but not in all years. They did in 1970 excellent vintage. Likewise 1963, 1966, and 1985.
DRT wrote:...and exactly how many of the 43 declared vintage ports of 1982 have you tasted to be able to determine that the vintage would not pass your criteria?
One, Noval. It tasted like a pastiche of the 1975 vintage, or perhaps a bit worse.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Anyone for a 43 bottle 1982 horizontal?
Not if it will cost me even the slightest awkwardness with the boss. I’ll save my special passes for horizontals of general declarations, or at least interesting years.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Jdaw brought it to a point there. In my opinon this is a very actual and interesting topic due to the possible declaration of 2007.

The IVDP does have an exact definition of a general declared year. I will look it up and get back to this.

But is quality always the unique factor wether a (general) declaration is taking place? Sure not. Everyone who tried some 1975s will agree on this.

The overall market situation does have strong effects on this, too. The market situation in the early 30s led to the fact, that only very few producers declared a 1931 Vintage Port and everyone tried one of those will agree that there should be more out on the market. But the market situation with full stocks of 1927 in the cellars led to a non-declaration-philosophy on the 31, despite the quality.

I would say that 82 brought up some nice to drink Ports today, but is in no way a 77, a 80 nor a 85. But the wines declared in 82 were rarely SQVPs.

Thanks Derek, for a very interesting thread.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:A general declaration is a year such that, three decades later, there are at least a dozen houses that declared a port such that, if one of those ports was opened for me I would say something like ‟yummy thank you”.

Shouldn't the term "general declaration" be an objective, rather than subjective test? Otherwise how do we describe 1975? "Erroneous general declaration"?

What about the test being that the majority of the British Association declared their principal wine? Or is that too reactionary in this day and age?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:What about the test being that the majority of the British Association declared their principal wine? Or is that too reactionary in this day and age?
I think that is actually the rule that is applied. If you look at any English language reference book on Vintage Port the list of declarations (which is rarely complete and is limited to roughly 3 per decade) are always years in which the major British shippers have declared their premium product. The fact that in most instances this also means that the wines are of a generally higher standard in those years is somewhat coincidental and not always true (need I mention 1975 again!).

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Up until 1986 it was relatively easy. Independent producers were not allowed to export without putting their wines through Gaia, so basicly, the business was concentrated around the major shippers. If these declared their premium product (so you must exclude SQVP's from the list!) you had a general declaration.

This definition has eroded slightly since. Nowadays there are many more producers who put a vintage port in the market. Some even aim at producing one every year (e.g. Vesuvio, Roriz, Vale Meao). So now it is probably fair to say that you can speak of a general declaration if the major British shippers declare the real thing. In reality, this comes down to TFP and Symington.