Quotes about port

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Quotes about port

Post by DRT »

I like the one I found today, which is my new tag line 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Quotes about port

Post by Andy Velebil »

A wood-aged port comforts in a way a vintage port never can, no matter how impressive. After a simple dinner give me a glass of a well-aged tawny port and a walnut or two and I am content. Gerald Asher
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

I would suggest you ignore this sentiment if in Gordon's wine bar by Charing Cross. Their wood aged tawny is not the best port you will ever taste! No doubt Jacob will let us have a second opinion!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

In his book 'A Wine Lover's Guide to Port' J. P. Martins wrote:At Taylor's they tell the story of old Mr Yeatman who, when he was well advanced in years, went to London for his annual check-up. As his usual physician was away, he was examined by a young doctor who, amazed with his remarkable good health, decided to ask him some further questions regarding his living habits.

"Do you drink any wine, Mr Yeatman?"
"Yes."
"What wine do you drink?"
"Port, of course."
"How much port do you drink?"
"Not much. About a pipe a year..."
88)

Martins goes on to explain that "a pipe a year" is only 720 bottles and is therefore equivalent to 12 glasses per day and so "not really farfetched" - 12 glasses from just under 2 bottles per day means he must drink from very big glasses :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

:shock: Just under 2 bottles a day every day for a year is a lot, even for us.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy V wrote::shock: Just under 2 bottles a day every day for a year is a lot, even for us.
You only think that because you are American :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote::shock: Just under 2 bottles a day every day for a year is a lot, even for us.
You only think that because you are American :wink:
Shh, my doctor may be reading this and I want him to think I don't partake of the purple sunshine that much :lol:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Of course, it might not be two bottles every day. It could just as well be four bottles every other day the in-between days being reserved for beer.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

In 1948 in Chapter XIV of his book [i]Let's Talk About Port[/i] J. C. Valente-Perfeito wrote:In England and also, to some extent, in Portugal, especially in Oporto, in those social circles where the love of tradition, even in gastronomic matters, remains untouched in the hurry and distraction of modern times, Port is invariably served from right to left, that is to say, the host, after filling his glass, passes the decanter to the left, in which direction it is circulated as the guests help themselves. This is a ritualistic practice the origin of which is enshrouded in the mists of time, and which is attributed by some authorities to certain druidical funerary ceremonies. Another school links it with the rotation of the Earth.

Be it as it may, however, my own theory is - everyone will, no doubt, agree - much more rationale, and - if I may be permitted to say so - more intelligent. To me, Port is served from right to left becuase it comes from the heart, and is heartily offered and accepted.

To pass the wine from left to right at a table where this ancient tradition is observed, is tantamount to committing a blunder for which there is no possible excuse. The culprit will be ostracized for the rest of his life.
88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm, not, quite, sure, what, he's, trying, to, say. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:I'm, not, quite, sure, what, he's, trying, to, say. :wink:
He, is, asking, whether, or, not, you, know, the, Bishop, of, Norwich.

I particularly liked the first sentence of the middle paragraph. It reminded me of someone but I can't quite remember who :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn