First Alex&Axel Offline, Jan 22nd Langenfeld, Ger

What happened?
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

First Alex&Axel Offline, Jan 22nd Langenfeld, Ger

Post by Axel P »

Actually my wifes name is Alex, too, so it has to be a Alex, Alex and Axel Offline. Hopefully the correct Alex is in bed with me later on...

Anyways - we will have a

2003 Noval
2003 Fonseca
2003 Taylors
2003 Croft
2000 Vale Meao
and as a special aperitiv for my special guest a 1992 Vesuvio Colheita.

During the filet a 1997 Chateau Poujeaux will be served.

Everything else later as I expect his call any minute

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: First Alex&Axel Offline, Jan 22nd Langenfeld, Ger

Post by Axel P »

2003 Taylors and Fonseca being the leaders of the evening. Croft is starting to close down (although it was the only 03 served from a normal bottle) and Noval is a little less complex though very seducive right now. Vale Meao was very good to drink when I freshly opened the bottle. I conserved a half one but this was 48 hours later rather one-dimensional. Vesuvio Colheita was very good as well. Lots of complexity and depth. It even survived almost half a year in a half bottle after it has been flown over to Germany in the ammo-box.

Interesting projects, good Ports and world peace was thoroughly discussed.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Axel P wrote:Hopefully the correct Alex is in bed with me later on...
Your comment after the tasting failed to mention the result, so, recognising your mutual embarrassment, we shall say nothing.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

No, please do not read too much into the lack of posting other than the fact that much port was consumed and good conversation was had.

I should also thank Alex and Axel for their very kind hospitality in hosting my brief visit on my last trip to Germany while working for my soon-to-be-former employer.

The Taylor was very impressive and will be a great wine. The Fonseca was very sweet and very drinkable. The Croft was certainly starting to close down and was nowhere near as good as I remember. The Noval 2003 was very pleasant. The Vale Meao 2000 was very one-dimensional but will make a perfectly good house port for everyday drinking in a decade or so.

The 1992 Vesuvio colheita was also a great aperitif and was very enjoyable - amazingly concentrated and complex.

And Chateau Poujeaux 1997 - absolutely perfect and at the top of its drinking window.

So thank you Axel!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.