Half Bottle Maturing Speeds

Anything to do with Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Half Bottle Maturing Speeds

Post by JacobH »

I think this has been discussed before, but only in passing!if there are any fuller threads, please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction!

With solitary evening drinking, I’m too much of a light-weight to get through a whole bottle of Port whilst it’s in perfect condition. I’ve therefore been trying to stock up on some half-bottles which stand a better chance of being consumed during the window when they are in their best state. I understand that half-bottles tend to mature more quickly than regular ones but it’s not clear in my mind how much faster the process is. Also, I presume the difference in maturity ratings between half and full bottles will decrease over time as, otherwise, some of the more ancient halves that have been drunk at Offlines would be undrinkable by now.

Any thoughts? I’d be especially interested to hear if anyone has tried the same Port from both half and full bottles!

-Jacob
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Half Bottle Maturing Speeds

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I was in the right place at the right time to pick up quite a stash of halves of Warre 1983 a good many years ago (all are now gone) and have drunk both halves and full bottles of this port. To my taste, the half bottles were more mature, being softer and more secondary - and more enjoyable. I would guess that they were showing 5-10 years ahead of the full bottles although cellared in identical conditions.

I recently also managed to pick up a parcel of Dow '85 in half bottles from, of all places, Sainsbury and had a very similar experience.

I really like half bottles and have a decent (but insufficient) number of them in the cellar of varying levels of maturity, with the youngest being 2000. Halves from the '80s are drinking perfectly at the moment.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Half Bottle Maturing Speeds

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:I was in the right place at the right time to pick up quite a stash of halves of Warre 1983 a good many years ago (all are now gone) and have drunk both halves and full bottles of this port. To my taste, the half bottles were more mature, being softer and more secondary - and more enjoyable. I would guess that they were showing 5-10 years ahead of the full bottles although cellared in identical conditions.

I recently also managed to pick up a parcel of Dow '85 in half bottles from, of all places, Sainsbury and had a very similar experience.

I really like half bottles and have a decent (but insufficient) number of them in the cellar of varying levels of maturity, with the youngest being 2000. Halves from the '80s are drinking perfectly at the moment.
Thanks for this; that was roughly what I was thinking. Most of the ones I’ve bought so far (or have been looking at getting) are mid-90s, so I suppose I should see if I can hold off drinking them for another 5 years or so!