Dow's Trademark Reserve, again.

Anything to do with Port.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Dow's Trademark Reserve, again.

Post by Sideways »

On offer at Sainsburys, £5.99

I didn’t bother with this last year, I think it was because it failed to excite anyone on this forum. Having another look today I noticed it had picked up a Decanter Gold in their World Wine Awards.

Surely Decanter's extensive panel of wine experts can’t all be wrong? Anyway, it made it into the basket this year.
Vintage Shmintage.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Dow's Trademark Reserve, again.

Post by uncle tom »

Surely Decanter's extensive panel of wine experts can’t all be wrong?
- Wanna bet? :D

I think they group wines according to retail price bands, so they were not judging this to be superior to LBV's or VP's

- at least I don't think so.. The one time I looked at their banding system, all the wines concerned seemed to be retailing for less the band parameters..

Maybe someone else understands what they're up to better than me - I don't give their awards much attention

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: Dow's Trademark Reserve, again.

Post by Sideways »

[removes tounge from cheek]

More seriously, Jamie Goode gives it the thumbs-up over on his site-

Dow’s Trademark Finest Reserve Port NV Portugal
Nice stuff, and a brilliant bargain at Sainsbury’s offer price. Good density of curranty red fruits on the nose. The palate is sweet with good fruit and nice spicy structure. It’s a tasty, relatively structured Port. Currently on offer at £5.49, Sainsbury, reduced from a somewhat token £10+ normal price. I reckon it tastes like an £8”“10 wine, and this is a wine to buy by the sixpack for the festive season. Very good+ 87/100
Vintage Shmintage.