Meet Dirk Niepoort in London TODAY!!!!

Anything to do with Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Meet Dirk Niepoort in London TODAY!!!!

Post by DRT »

I just recieved an email from Uncorked announcing that Dirk is in their shop from 1-2pm today showing some of his wines and a couple of ports for tasting.

If anyone is in London and would like to meet Dirk you will find him at:

Uncorked Ltd
Exchange Arcade
Broadgate
London
EC2M 3WA

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Re: Meet Dirk Niepoort in London TODAY!!!!

Post by ajfeather »

Shame not in town today, always enjoyed Dirk's company and his wines/ports.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Meet Dirk Niepoort in London TODAY!!!!

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:I just recieved an email from Uncorked announcing that Dirk is in their shop from 1-2pm today showing some of his wines and a couple of ports for tasting.
Thanks for this heads-up on this, Derek. I dropped in at 1.30 to find that they had managed to lost Dirk somewhere between Richmond and Liverpool Street! He eventually turned up 15 minutes later.

The tasting was pretty table-wine-centric: they had a couple of whites, a rosé and three reds. I tried a couple of reds, which just convinced me that I know nothing about, and have no appreciation of, anything that isn’t sweet and/or fortified. For what it’s worth, the £9.99 ‟Drink Me” did what it said on the tin :).

The Ports were a 2004 LBV and 1998 Colheita. I couldn’t complain about the LBV, though it was hard to judge what it should be like as I think they hadn’t decanted it, and I would have expected that it would need quite a lot of time. Not sure if it’s worth c. £15 a bottle, though. The Colheita was excellent. I was amazed that they would release such a young one, but I enjoyed the way in which the initial spiciness on the nose softened on the palate. Certainly the most enjoyable tawny I’ve had recently. Shame they didn’t have an on sale :roll: but I bought some 1994 instead!

Incidentally, I hadn’t been to Uncorked before but will certainly go there in future. They don’t have a huge selection of Port, but have a reasonable mix of different styles and shippers, and quite a few half-bottles which might be useful for train journeys and other emergencies!

-Jacob