Diminishing Palates

Anything to do with Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Diminishing Palates

Post by g-man »

How would you guys describe base line "port"

I've had many a first rate houses where you can pick out the various nuances of the fine purple sunshine.

But I've also had ports that just taste like ... well ... I can't explain it. It's just like plain boring port.

Like someone took a really flabby sweet wine and added some spirits to it.

Some of the Rozes vintages come to mind, that tastes like some of the young gould campbells, that tastes like the hutchesons

they're just so non descript, I'm at a total loss to describe them.

So back to topic, how would you guys describe these "base line" ports where if you removed all of the complexity of a Fonseca, Taylors, Grahams ... so on...
What then would you end up with?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Diminishing Palates

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What a great question; deserving of a much better answer than the one I am about to give.

I probably take the opposite view to Jeff. I rarely find a port which has no complexity. Sure, in some you have to search for it and I do find that very young port often lacks complexity but makes up for this with a huge fruit presence. Perhaps complexity develops with age.

You know, writing this I think I am actually starting to disagree with myself. What comes to mind are the occasional middle age port (Hutcheson '87) and even mature port (RO '63) which is just one dimensional. Luckily, these are few and far between.

So, to my mind, a base level port is something that is just sweet fruit with no layers that gets older and turns into sugar water. The best description I can think of for them is "boring". I recommend drinking boring port with Chinese food.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

A port can be "dead" until they see some time in the decanter. Certainly, they have a taste, but don't really taste like anything in particular. Just sweet, perhaps fresh, with a little acid. Until it opens up, these ports could fall under your "boring" description. Even some blockbusters can seem dead at the beginning.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

mosesbotbol, I'd slightly disagree. While i think good bottles do shut down, they would still have cloying flavors. You can see something special brewing underneath but it's just not apparent. As oppose to poorly made port, where there's just nothing.
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

g-man wrote:mosesbotbol, I'd slightly disagree. While i think good bottles do shut down, they would still have cloying flavors. You can see something special brewing underneath but it's just not apparent. As oppose to poorly made port, where there's just nothing.
Closed port is not that exciting to drink, for me. I can see that it will be something and will certainly drink it, but that bottle will go to the bottom of the list for the next time. The '85 Dow is one that comes to mind. It is an epic port, but unless it decants for the whole day, it is a dull port. Everything is there and balanced, but just doesn't taste like much to me. Another 10+ years could be another story.

Ports that are very grapey up front I would not include in this category, but I could see how one would. When all you taste is grape juice, it is a little one dimensional as well yet opens to something great. '85 Fonseca is that comes to mind.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I wouldn't classify either the F85 or the D85 as one dimensional even when closed.

But back on topic, it would seem to me you consider a "base line" port to be something that's just grape juice?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Ten years ago, at a tasting, we deemed the Gould Campbell 1970 to taste like good basic port. So that could be your answer: baseline port = GC70.
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

The 48 Taylor is a good base line port. How well does the port compare to the 48 Taylor?
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Interesting that you all seek a base line amoungst vintage ports which are supposed to be the summit of the port world. Where does that leave the rest?
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Overtired and emotional wrote:Interesting that you all seek a base line amoungst vintage ports which are supposed to be the summit of the port world. Where does that leave the rest?
which is why i wanted to bring it back on target with teh hutcheson and rozes =)
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

Overtired and emotional wrote:Interesting that you all seek a base line amoungst vintage ports which are supposed to be the summit of the port world. Where does that leave the rest?
It would leave the rest all over the scale. Some could be equals, some sub-par. By basing on the best, a fair valuation can be made rather than comparing to something average. Average is for more debate than greatness with port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

After reading the above thread I think some of the good quality unfiltered LBVs would make a good baseline.

I am thinking of the likes of Warre, Niepoort and Noval unfiltered LBVs with 10-15 years of age. These are all very afordable ports that, on a good day, could easily be mistaken for an average VP in a blind tasting. Good to Outstanding VPs should always come above this baseline while poor VPs and almost everything in the lower categories (including filtered LBVs) are likely to be below the line.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote: while poor VPs and almost everything in the lower categories (including filtered LBVs) are likely to be below the line.
what would you use as a taste descriptor for those kinds of wines?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

g-man wrote:
DRT wrote: while poor VPs and almost everything in the lower categories (including filtered LBVs) are likely to be below the line.
I would expect them to all taste different so I don't think one descriptor could be used. The overall assessment of the wine (nose, colour, weight, length, acidity, sweetness, tannin, etc) is what is important, not just the taste so I don't think it would be possible to generalise.
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:
g-man wrote:
I would expect them to all taste different so I don't think one descriptor could be used. The overall assessment of the wine (nose, colour, weight, length, acidity, sweetness, tannin, etc) is what is important, not just the taste so I don't think it would be possible to generalise.
this would be very interesting,
can you look back on your notes for subpar wines that were not flawed in any way (ie corked).

I'd be willing to bet your taste descriptors for those subpar wines would all be very similar.

I look back on my own notes and the wines I've got as subpar all have what I wrote as undescribeable blandness, a mix of just watery sugar with some spirits.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

g-man wrote:
DRT wrote:
g-man wrote:
this would be very interesting,
can you look back on your notes for subpar wines that were not flawed in any way (ie corked).

I'd be willing to bet your taste descriptors for those subpar wines would all be very similar.

I look back on my own notes and the wines I've got as subpar all have what I wrote as undescribeable blandness, a mix of just watery sugar with some spirits.
Hmmm? I think we have our baselines set in different places on the scale. I am not suggesting that wines below Warre Unflitered LBV are bad. I'm just suggesting it would make a reasonable point of reference somewhere in the middle between excellent and poor. I would have to go a very long way below the baseline I have suggested before I would think I was tasting watery sugar with some spirits. I think my baseline is in the middle of the scale whereas I now think you are looking for a line below which all wines would be bad. Or am I still not getting it?
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

perhaps not, you've definitely tried much more port than I can ever imagine =)

My two scales are usually, very good, or just everything else. The very bad or even the unimpressive (perfeclty quaffable) I find myself with difficultly describing besides bland sugar spirit water.

It's a matter of scale, but it's very informative to see how people describe the base level port.

Like Moses saying a base level is a 48 taylor,
AHB saying it's a Hutchesons or an RO.
You mentioning a Warre Unfiltered LBV.

Now I think about it, baseline is a bad word, I'm talking about a port that really has all it's complexity stripped. Base level, suggested by Alex, is better. And for me, 89 Hutcheson's is one that comes to mind.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm fairly certain Moses wasn't being serious when he suggested Taylor 48 as a baseline. Its reputation suggests to me that very very few VPs would score higher so it is closer to the ceiling than the floor on any scale.

So, to be clear: base line Port = Port you would not choose to drink?

...and are we defining it using VPs or ports of any style/category?
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote: So, to be clear: base line Port = Port you would not choose to drink?

...and are we defining it using VPs or ports of any style/category?
base line port = Port you think is boring. It might pop up at a tasting without you knowing it!

and any kind of port.
mosesbotbol

Post by mosesbotbol »

DRT wrote:I'm fairly certain Moses wasn't being serious when he suggested Taylor 48 as a baseline. Its reputation suggests to me that very very few VPs would score higher so it is closer to the ceiling than the floor on any scale.
Actually, I am fairly serious about this. It doesn't have to be the Taylor '48, but I think the baseline should be the best port, a port that no one would argue is a gold standard to base all other ports on. What an "average port" is, is up to debate. For some, this could be Warre LBV, to others this could be a Taylor 80... Instead of trying to define what is average, just compare the port on hand to an excellent port.

Sure, most ports won't equal to the Taylor '48, but evaluating what is close and what is not close can give a fair estimation of what is being judged.

In F1, times are judged compared to the best lap time, not the average or mean lap time... The same should be done for port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Moses makes a fair point, but it is only possible to use this method if you are fortunate enough to have tasted a 99-100 point port enough times to know what the experience should be like.

I think the very fact that three of us have used completely different approaches to this (g-man going for the bottom, me the mid-point and moses the top) simply demostrates how subjective this subject is. I think all anyone can hope to do is reach a point where they can evaluate a wine against others they have tasted themselves. It doesn't really matter where ones personal scale sits against everyone elses scale so long as you are fairly consistent.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I think I'm with g-man on this one... "base line" implies a minimum. Below that line, the object in question fails to satisfy the minimum requirements of the topic at hand. DRT is looking for an average, while Moses is looking for a gold standard. Both are legitimate, but not what g-man asked for.

I haven't had many (if any) basic Ruby Ports. So for me, the base line starts at Ruby Reserves like Graham's Six Grapes and Broadbent Auction Reserve. If the Port in question is worse than those... it's not worth drinking. I'll just have a Coke instead, thanks.

I'm a little easier on Tawnies - there are several base Tawnies that I find enjoyable - and I'm harder on white Ports.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote: "base line" implies a minimum.
A fine example of two nations separated by a common language :wink:

I would normally think of a baseline (perhaps the differnece is in the number of words?) as being the acceptable standard by which all other things would be judged.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

It is fascinating how long a conversation can run with quite different understandings of what the 'question' means.

Should the baseline be the point at which one is tempted to repeat the experience, or does one's baseline change as one becomes older and, with luck, more able to afford the better bottle? I think it should be the former. It would be a sad day when a decent, well made wine is rejected because it is not in the top flight. How about Warre's Warrior as something to prime the pump?
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Overtired and emotional wrote:It is fascinating how long a conversation can run with quite different understandings of what the 'question' means.

Should the baseline be the point at which one is tempted to repeat the experience, or does one's baseline change as one becomes older and, with luck, more able to afford the better bottle? I think it should be the former. It would be a sad day when a decent, well made wine is rejected because it is not in the top flight. How about Warre's Warrior as something to prime the pump?
price should not be considered in determining how one would describe a "base level" port.

if one thinks the warre's warrior is complex and spicy, then it is not a base level port =)