Joao Pato Vinho de Mesa

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Joao Pato Vinho de Mesa

Post by uncle tom »

Someone, somewhere, has a fair stash of these, as they been have drip fed into the auction circuit (most notably Straker's) for more than a couple of years now.

The vintages are all in the range of 1989 to 1995.

This is seat of the pants peasant juice, with loads of sediment - very much an old school red. Not at all refined, but personally I quite like it - my favourite being the '89. The '94, despite being a good port year, seems over acidic. There is some variability between bottles.

Prices vary quite widely between auctions, and there does not seem to be a reserve, as I got one dozen for £20 (+ Straker's flat rate £7.05 BP)

Worth a bid if you're into cheap mature quaffers, but don't pitch more than £30/dozen

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Joao Pato Vinho de Mesa

Post by RonnieRoots »

I bought one of these (I believe the 1990) in a shop in Holland for nearly nothing. It was quite like you described: not refined, but very likeable. A good recommendation.