Who Needs To Detox?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Who Needs To Detox?

Post by DRT »

I am very sad to announce that at the Friday night weigh-in last weekend DRT recorded a negative weight-loss of 1lb :x - this had absolutely nothing to do with me spending two days with JDAW in the preceeding week. Honest, it didn't. The fried breakfast that we had 3 minutes after both arriving in London and the 6 pints of beer between St Paul's and Covent Garden (2 pints of which included a very attractive view) had absulutely no impact on an otherwise feable attempt at "being good". :sackclothandashesicon:

So, a better week is required...

Saturday = 6 miles and around 1,000ft ascent around Edinburgh.
Sunday = 8 miles and around 1,700ft ascent around the Peak District
Wednesday = various meetings in London incorporating 9 miles of walking with no taxis!!!!

Need to walk again tomorrow.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:Saturday = 6 miles and around 1,000ft ascent around Edinburgh.
Sunday = 8 miles and around 1,700ft ascent around the Peak District.
Now that's a weekend! Best I've done (running) is 12 miles, but with nowhere near that much elevation.

My official training program begins on Sunday, but I'm already ahead of pace at the equivalent of about week 8 (of a 19-week program). The half marathon I'm training to run is June 26th. 88)

I finished off a bottle of 2007 Vesuvio last night, and had a great run this morning. Must research that further.
Glenn Elliott
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Huh - I did 18 miles, in the Peaks, with crippling boots on, in one day. The boots are now broken in.

Running the Covvy half marathon includes a fair few climbs, although not of Peak District standard I accept. Annoyingly, they've changed it to May so may not be ready for it this year.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I walked 9 miles between meetings in London yesterday. Total ascent 3.5 inches.
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:I walked 9 miles between meetings in London yesterday. Total ascent 3.5 inches.
You may already be doing this, but a good idea I now (mostly) follow is not using lifts, but taking the stairs.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:I walked 9 miles between meetings in London yesterday. Total ascent 3.5 inches.
Actually with all the curbs ascended you gained 70 inches. :roll:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Week 4: Friday night weigh-in = minus 2lbs (8lbs in total)

Back on target :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I ran a 5k this morning with about 3000 other people and finished in a new personal best of 29:31.

We then went out for "breakfast" at 11:30 and destroyed whatever calorie advantage we had created by running in the race. But it tasted great!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yesterday we walked 7 hills in the Pentlands, covering a distance of 7.5 miles and a total ascent of 2,500ft.

There was a running race on when we were there that was covering almost the same route. The winner came home in just under 1 hour!! :?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:Week 4: Friday night weigh-in = minus 2lbs (8lbs in total)

That's about 1/2 a stone....sure you didn't just drop a rock out of your pocket before getting back on the scale :mrgreen:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy V wrote:

That's about 1/2 a stone....sure you didn't just drop a rock out of your pocket before getting back on the scale :mrgreen:
Just to clarify for the Americans: 8lbs isn't "about 1/2 a stone" it "is 1/2 a stone" :twisted:

...which is the total loss over 4 weeks, not just last week :roll:

Today I only managed a 1hr 30min walk on flat ground. Everything hurts from yesterday :crying:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:

Just to clarify for the Americans: 8lbs isn't "about 1/2 a stone" it "is 1/2 a stone" :twisted:
No, it isn't. Half a stone is 7lbs.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:
DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:

Oops :oops: - bloody metric system always gets me! :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
KillerB wrote:
DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:

Oops :oops: - bloody metric system always gets me! :roll:
apology accepted :wink: :lol: :lol:
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi there,

why we are not using g and kg? This would resolve the issue I think. :wink:

I am not really doing Detox at the moment. Had lost though ~2kg over last week because I was driving to Germany in very wintery conditions :evil: and therefore not drinking a lot. Otherwise if I stay out of the crash barriers (Port and Stilton :) ) my weight loss is just a function of how often I go out and drink wine. Port and Stilton adventures always need to be followed up with a brutal gym session. :( Otherwise they have negative weight effects. :oops:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

WS1 wrote:why we are not using g and kg?
Are those the new fangled things that European people use instead of real weight measures?
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Indeed! Also you will find that in the US/America you would get by by using those :) :wink:

For history and tradition it makes sense to use these old weight measures. But as you also found out yourself most of the history (power and glory!) has been lost in the memory of the people who live in the present.

E.g. my being German had to reintroduce Port and Steak in my team (quite a few britsh people are in there) as a traditional english dish :wink: :) :pig:

So let us see how much history you can bring back.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Week 5: Friday night weigh-in = -3lbs (11lbs in total)

1lb ahead of target - a good place to be before the Vesuvio tasting :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

We could start a debate on how rubbish the metric system is. It is brilliant for scientific purposes but generally rubbish for the real World. 1 Kg is too big, certainly too many mushrooms for a single person and it gets rubbish to split so you start using grammes - a quarter of mushrooms (perfect quantity to go with a steak) is now one hundred and twenty five grammes (close enough) - too much of a mouth full for a mouthful of mush.

The only reason we use decimal numbers is due to the number of digits on our hands, it can only deal with halves and fifths so is spectacularly rubbish. Base 8 (pints to gallon, stones to Hunred-weight) is OK allowing halves and quarters. Base 12 (inches to foot, hours on clock, pennies to shilling) is much better as it allows halves, quarters, thirds and sixths. Base 16 (ounces to pound, fluid oz to American pint) doesn't have the 3s and 6s advantage but does have eighths and can be easily translated to binary. Base 20 (fluid oz to British Pint, hundred weight to ton, shillings to pounds) has the advantage of fifths and tenths but starts to get a bit big. Base 60 (seconds to minutes, minutes to hours, minutes to degrees) has everthing but is far too big. Base 14 (pounds to stones) is even more spectacularly rubbish than base ten and is an anomoly in the otherwise immaculate imperial system.

Conclusion - use base 12, you know it makes sense.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:Conclusion - use base 12, you know it makes sense.
Agreed.

But does that mean I only need to lose 1 more pound to have lost a stone? :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Strained both of my calves walking around NYC this past week, so have been unable to run for 6 days. I plan to try a short run tomorrow, and if that doesn't make the problem worse I'll be back on track.

Good thing that my current condition is fairly far along my training program, because otherwise this would have been a major setback. As it stands I'm officially just starting week 2 of the 19-week program, but am still currently capable of the week 8 level of exercise.

The longer runs intrigue me. I'm fairly certain that I could complete them now, but I'm not sure what kind of shape I'd be in for the next 2-3 days. I have a sneaking suspicion that the point of the training is to make the days AFTER the half marathon tolerable, and not so much to actually get you in shape to do the half marathon itself.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Week 6: Friday Night Weigh-in = -1lb (12 lbs in total) - still on target :D

The continued bad weather in Scotland prevented us from walking in the hills for the second week in succession :(

This morning I did a local 8 mile walk with no stops, carrying a fully loaded backpack, with lots of roads, muddy paths and fields in 2hrs 10mins. Legs and feet are sore but at least I managed to get out and do something

This weeks objective is to follow Ben's advice and not use the lift once in our seven storey office block. 2lbs to go to get the first of 3 stone off :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I did my longest run so far - 7 miles - on Saturday morning before driving to Vancouver for a weekend at the Winter Olympics. Watched Finland beat Slovakia. Drove home.

Had a terrible run this morning... felt queasy and unstable for the middle 2 miles of a 5-miler, but finished relatively strong. I suspect that the 7 miles on Saturday morning followed by ~350 miles of driving in a smart car did not help today's pace.

Debating whether to run tomorrow and skip Wednesday, or skip tomorrow then run both Wednesday and Thursday. I get 2 weekdays off each week, so have to be careful with pre-planning in order to make the long runs on Saturdays possible. Despite the difficult run today, I think I should probably go out again tomorrow.

Weight loss has virtually stopped, but the week in NYC (including a tasting) and the weekend in Vancouver likely didn't help that particular cause. :wink:

Also found a new BBQ joint nearby which is tolerable, thus adding to the dim view of further weight loss.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:...carrying a fully loaded backpack...
Would that be fully loaded with a magnum of mature vintage port, collapsible funnel, a dozen filter papers, lead crystal decanter, corkscrew and two Riedel glasses? Are you training for the next London offline but being ready to jog between bottle locations so as to beat the traffic queues?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Week 7: Friday Night weigh-in = +1lb :crying:

Must do better!!!!!! :x
Ernest H. Cockburn