Decanting time for filtered LBVs

Anything to do with Port.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Decanting time for filtered LBVs

Post by MigSU »

So I was thinking about opening a couple of LBVs for tonight (specifically the Dow's 2012 and the Cockburn's 2013, as I have a case of each and am curious about their current state) and was wondering what your opinions were on how much in advance to open them (or even at all). They obviously won't through much of a sediment (if any at all), but I realised that I don't have enough experience with them to have formed an educated opinion on decanting time for breathing purposes.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Decanting time for filtered LBVs

Post by DRT »

Given that these will have been in bottle for 5 or 6 years there might be some very fine sediment/sludge at the bottom. Decanting or opening for an hour or so before serving will probably allow them to allow them to open up a bit and show their best.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

I would agree, filtered LBVS do tend to evolve positively given some air but I've not had any that were disagreeable upon opening that somehow opened up later on. Also they if you return them to the bottle after decanting (or not bothering to decant) they will be good for a number of weeks if kept in the fridge.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Yes, a couple of hours was pretty much what I was thinking. I'll see if I can detect much difference.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you can, save a glass or two for tomorrow and taste again. I’ll be curious to know how they change with extended decanting. I often advise people that a stabilised / filtered LBV will last a week but rarely have the chance to test this advice.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

I'll try, but make no promises.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The Dow LBVs, although T-stoppered, appear to receive little filtration. I have some 2006 bottles that are very sedimented, so I'd strongly advise decanting.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Ended up only opening the Cockburn's 13. It definitely improved by being out in the open for a couple of hours, gained a bit of balance, less of a 'fruity candy' as it was right out of the bottle, a few of the wood ageing aromas allowed to make an appearance.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I used to think that quite long decanting times were needed for LBVs: 8 hours or more to open up properly. Especially the more robust ones. Since I usually open and start drinking them straight away, I often find them better on the second night.
rich_n

Re: RE: Re: Decanting time for filtered LBVs

Post by rich_n »

uncle tom wrote:The Dow LBVs, although T-stoppered, appear to receive little filtration. I have some 2006 bottles that are very sedimented, so I'd strongly advise decanting.
How are you finding that they're drinking now? Have they shown signs of positive improvement?
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

How are you finding that they're drinking now? Have they shown signs of positive improvement?
I don't have much of a timeline to compare for that specific item, but when a port that young throws sediment, I don't panic to drink up..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

uncle tom wrote:
I don't have much of a timeline to compare for that specific item, but when a port that young throws sediment, I don't panic to drink up..
Fair enough. I'm just interested to hear if they do indeed show well over time, as I have some more recent Dow LBVs.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

It’s a while since I’ve drunk some really old filtered LBVs, but the few I’ve tried seemed to hold up well until their 30s, but could be a bit iffy thereafter. Probably the T-Corks have as much to do with it as anything else.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

JacobH wrote:It’s a while since I’ve drunk some really old filtered LBVs, but the few I’ve tried seemed to hold up well until their 30s, but could be a bit iffy thereafter. Probably the T-Corks have as much to do with it as anything else.
That's helpful, thanks! I'm reluctant to lay them down to avoid leakage but I'm guessing that's a necessity for longer aging.