2007 Vintage Port Declarations - discussion

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2007 Vintage Port Declarations

Post by jdaw1 »

Roy Hersh wrote:... it will kick something interesting into play.
OK, so what was the secret that Roy knew (and wanted us to know that he knew)?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2007 temporary thread

Post by JacobH »

Tasting notes as given by TFP:
Taylor Opaque, purple black colour with a narrow violet rim. Characteristically stylish and racy, with a nose of dense blackcurrant and woodland fruit overlaid with discreet herbal nuances and scents of violet and rose petals. As usual the classic Taylor elegance and understatement conceal the wine’s energy and vigour. On the palate it displays the lean, sinewy and tightly knit tannins which are so much a feature of the Taylor style and the vibrant and clearly delineated fruit flavours and which are the hallmark of the 2007 vintage.

Fonseca Impenetrable inky black colour with purple highlights. As would be expected of Fonseca, the nose is dominated by a massively potent and concentrated fruitiness, packed with dense blackcurrant and blackberry aromas. Notes of coffee and exotic wood and hints of wild herbs and mint. The palate is rich and luscious, with thick velvety and wonderfully well integrated tannins enveloped in succulent jammy fruit and rich dark chocolate flavours.

Croft Deep purple black with narrow magenta rim. The heady and powerfully aromatic nose displays a characteristic abundance of rich plump fruit and the exoitc notes of eucalyptus and rock rose which are the hallmark of the Quinta da Roeda wines on which the blend is based. Juicy and luscious on the palate, with discreet and well fused tannins and a long generous finish.
Considering the discussion about the Niepoort 07, perhaps I shouldn't ask, but do phrases such as "elegance and understatement", "well integrated tannins" and "discreet and well fused tannins" suggest an early maturing vintage?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:Considering the discussion about the Niepoort 07
Let's not go there again! :roll:
JacobH wrote:do phrases such as "elegance and understatement", "well integrated tannins" and "discreet and well fused tannins" suggest an early maturing vintage?
Only time will tell :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Considering the discussion about the Niepoort 07, perhaps I shouldn't ask, but do phrases such as "elegance and understatement", "well integrated tannins" and "discreet and well fused tannins" suggest an early maturing vintage?
Possibly. It could be that the Ports are still so intensely nervy at this young stage that their underlying structure is not as easy to read. But given those specific quotes you've chosen, you make an interesting point. Doing cask sample analysis is the toughest job for a winemaking team. I know that TFP does this with a full panel of players, as I spoke to them during the process. There are some producers that do this with the winemaker, master blender and Managing Director, period.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: 2007 Vintage Port Declarations - discussion

Post by SushiNorth »

On a different note, i'd like to speculate on price for a moment.

We're in a recession; prices could start low. Historically, prices drop after a year or two. Next year is likely to reveal another strong vintage (but declaration is doubtful, also given history). Given all these opposites, what do folks think will happen this time? When is the ideal time to purchase, and in particular if we are going to do some mixed cases, when should we plan for that?
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

SushiNorth wrote:On a different note, i'd like to speculate on price for a moment.

We're in a recession; prices could start low. Historically, prices drop after a year or two. Next year is likely to reveal another strong vintage (but declaration is doubtful, also given history). Given all these opposites, what do folks think will happen this time? When is the ideal time to purchase, and in particular if we are going to do some mixed cases, when should we plan for that?
I suppose the key question is how low do you think "low" is? Whilst I can't imagine that 2007 will be much more than the 2003 release prices, if the major houses end up selling them at £30-5 a bottle, retail, the cost, will still be quite high for a produce which requires a further 15 years of storage at least. Especially as it's not too difficult to find 97s and 87s for a similar price. I also wonder how much the €/£ will affect prices. With the pound being 30% or so below the rate when the 2003 was released, the shippers will have to either increase their prices or decrease their profits just to keep in the same place.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

JacobH wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:On a different note, i'd like to speculate on price for a moment.

I suppose the key question is how low do you think "low" is? Whilst I can't imagine that 2007 will be much more than the 2003 release prices, if the major houses end up selling them at £30-5 a bottle, retail, the cost, will still be quite high for a produce which requires a further 15 years of storage at least. Especially as it's not too difficult to find 97s and 87s for a similar price. I also wonder how much the €/£ will affect prices. With the pound being 30% or so below the rate when the 2003 was released, the shippers will have to either increase their prices or decrease their profits just to keep in the same place.
Hmm, well i was thinking more about it from the perspective of timing. Let's assume we will inevitably be buying some 2007, should it be bought on release? How were port prices handled during similar downturns (2000, late 80's/early 90's)?
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This could be an interesting exercise. Suckling lists the release prices for all the ports he sampled for his book and somewhere on this site there is a list of the release prices of all the ports that we could uncover.

What we then need is someone with the time and resources to go through a whole series of back issues of decanter magazine to follow the auction prices of each particular port over time. Or use winesearcher, which I believe can also do this (but I have never tried).

Not having ever had the time to carry out this analysis, I shall probably go through my usual logical process to say:
Q - Do I want any of this vintage?
A(1) - Yes, to keep my Vesuvio vertical unbroken
A(2) - Yes, as I will be in my mid-sixties when these are mature and given my geneology would expect to still be around in the 2030s.

Q - Do I want to buy any on release?
A(1) - Yes, as it is useful to keep merchants happy with you and you known to them
A(2) - Yes, as it is nice to be able to open bottles which have been stored carefully from release
A(3) - Yes, as prices can sometimes be lower on release than afterwards (Taylor '94, for example)

So I will probably do as I usually do and order a few cases, to be stored in bond and will include at least one case of Vesuvio and then top up later as and when opportunities present themselves at an advantageous price.

But I would still be really interested if anyone wanted to carry out the analysis that I've suggested. I have the retail release prices for all the ports I have ever bought on release and might be able to get more if someone was to have a go at this.

Alex

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Suckling is likening the 2007s to the 55s or 77s
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Suckling is likening the 2007s to the 55s or 77s
Hmm.. - i'm trying work out what '55 and '77 have got in common, that makes him single them out?

'55 and '70 have some similarity, but '77 is a bit of a one-off in my book..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Here is the direct blog entry from James Suckling:

2007 Vintage Port Magic
Posted: 06:45 AM ET, May 01, 2009
I tasted 25 barrel samples of 2007 Vintage Port yesterday in a blind tasting at the Factory House in the center of old Oporto, Portugal. And I was very impressed. This is clearly a great vintage.

The young fortified Ports showed wonderfully well. I can’t remember a group of young Vintage Ports that were so delicious to taste when they were young. Usually, young Vintage Ports are a bit raw and crude, with mouth-puckering tannins and jammy fruit. The 2007s are not like that.

I loved their harmony and beauty. They have such precise and defined ripe fruit and silky tannins. They are complex and perfumed with power yet elegance. It shows that Port producers are taking much better care in their vineyards and cellars to make the best Vintage Port possible.

It’s hard to think about a vintage that would be comparable but maybe 1977 or 1955? I think that the grapegrowing season in 2007 was more like 1977, where it was sunny yet cool for most of the growing season and then hot and beautiful for September and October.

In any case, if you love Vintage Port, you are going to love the 2007s. I loved the balance so much in the young Vintage Ports that I wanted to drink not just taste many of them! Crazy stuff.

Just a couple dozen more samples to taste through today, and I will have more information to report back soon.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Portman wrote:Here is the direct blog entry from James Suckling:
In any case, if you love Vintage Port, you are going to love the 2007s. I loved the balance so much in the young Vintage Ports that I wanted to drink not just taste many of them! Crazy stuff.
I know exactly what he means - these are delicious to drink right now. But then that is being said by someone who enjoys drinking 2 year old port at Christmas every year.

uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

It's interesting to speculate, but impossible to exactly calculate; what proportion of newly released VP will be drunk in short order, and how much will be laid down.

The only available indicator is to look at CellarTracker and compare the quantities that people have in stock with the number of tasting notes. This is in no way a scientific analysis, and the nature of CT's clientele will tend to exaggerate the degree of retention; but the ratio is nevertheless pretty extreme. It cannot be assumed that everyone will post a note, but on the other hand, multiple notes are often posted from the tasting of a single bottle.

For the 2003's, I gleaned the following numbers:-

Dow - 329 bottles, 16 notes
Noval - 906 bottles, 23 notes
Taylor - 1659 bottles, 18 notes
Vesuvio - 451 bottles, 5 notes

Why Taylor and Dow should have a similar number of notes, when Taylor has outsold Dow by five to one is a bit of a puzzle.

Overall, it does suggest that consumers are not at all sold on the idea of drinking VP young, and that anyone reviewing a new vintage should be more focused on the likely perfomance of the wines when mature, than on their ability to afford immediate gratification.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

These are interesting numbers but I'm not sure we can read much into it. As you know there are very few people in the world, probably 100 or less, who post tasting notes on the web on a regular basis. Some are more reliable than others (in terms of frequency of posting a TN each time they open a bottle) so even that cross-section of society does not give a true reflection of drinking habits.

My guess is that, in the new world at least, the majority of the VP that is shipped is bought by people who do not own collections of VP and simply want something for current drinking. These people do not have Cellartracker accounts and don't even think about writing a TN, never mind posting one on the net. This means that the shippers have a huge target market to aim at with VPs that can be popped and poured at 2-5 years old. I don't agree with it on principle but the fact is it is happening more and more each year. As the balance swings in that direction the building of VPs for long term ageing may come under threat. We may find that the "classic" shippers are the only ones who retain a focus on that with their classic blends whilst the others fullfil the demand for young-drinking wines to varying degrees. If that happens I think everybody wins 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,
Not sure if you noticed it on CT, as it's way at the bottom in small font and can be "hidden" if accidentally clicked. But it lists the total community holdings and then total bottles consumed by the community. So for the 2003 Taylors VP there is
Total community holdings: 2,173 bottles
Total community consumed: 56 consumed

2003 Noval
Total community holdings: 1,079 bottles
Total community consumed: 45 consumed

2003 Vesuvio
Total community holdings: 458 bottles
Total community consumed: 4 consumed

Here is the 1977 Dow's numbers
Total community holdings: 1,113 bottles
Total community consumed: 138 consumed

Of course, not everyone in the world uses CT to keep track of their wines, but it at least gives some numbers to get a broad sense of how much is or isn't being drunk.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

Andy V wrote:Tom,
Not sure if you noticed it on CT, as it's way at the bottom in small font and can be "hidden" if accidentally clicked. But it lists the total community holdings and then total bottles consumed by the community.
I hadn't noticed that feature, very interesting...
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Very interesting Andy, thanks.

I'm not sure you can read much into the data for older vintages, simply because CellarTracker itself has not been around that long; but I do think the data goes a long way toward debunking the popular myth that the Americans are too philistine to appreciate the benefits of aging wines.

My assumption is that CellarTracker is very US-centric. Is their a breakdown of participant nationalities anywhere on that site?

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:This means that the shippers have a huge target market to aim at with VPs that can be popped and poured at 2-5 years old. I don't agree with it on principle but the fact is it is happening more and more each year. As the balance swings in that direction the building of VPs for long term ageing may come under threat. We may find that the "classic" shippers are the only ones who retain a focus on that with their classic blends whilst the others fullfil the demand for young-drinking wines to varying degrees.
I think the jury is still out on whether making a vintage port that is approachable young automatically means that you have to leave out some of the elements that will allow it to mature and improve over a 20-30 year period. We have the opportunity to experience this for ourselves as we have tasted wines which were quite brutal in their early years (Noval '97) but also ports which were and still are just so drinkable even today (Vesuvio 1994). We won't know until 2015 whether the Vesuvio makes it to the traditional age of maturity, but we sure as heck will have a lot of fun finding out.

It will also be of huge interest to taste bottles like the Sandeman Vau against the regular Sandeman vintage with 20 years of bottle age.

From what I read, the 1963 ports were very approachable when first bottled and remained that way for a long time. Not many would argue that these have not lasted the course although many are now fading. If the immediately approachable wines which are being made today follow the course and life-span of the 1963s then I shall be perfectly happy.

That said, the 2007s are absolutely delicious right now. I shall buy some when they first get released but they will be for opening and drinking within a year or two. Stocks to lie down will probably be bought when the Pound gets stronger compared to the Euro.

Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Suckling speaks on the 2007s:

2007 Vintage Port Barrel Tasting: A Classic Year with Great Grip
Reviews of more than 50 young sweet wines from one of the best vintages in the past four decades
James Suckling
Posted: Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Great Vintage Port was made in 2007. I love the combination of power and finesse in these young blackstrap fortified wines.

I tasted more than 50 barrel samples of 2007 Vintage Ports in two separate blind tastings at the Factory House in Oporto, Portugal, and others at Port lodges and farms. What strikes me is how polished the tannins are. I have been tasting young Ports since the 1980 vintage, and I can't ever remember such fine yet dense and rich tannins.

I was spellbound by the top Vintage Ports of my tasting. They include: Taylor Fladgate Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha (97-100 points on Wine Spectator's 100-point scale), Graham (96-99) and Warre (95-98), followed by Dow, Quinta do Noval and Taylor Fladgate (all 94-97). These were the Ports that showed the best grip, the highest density and quality of ripe tannins, and opulent, sweet fruit.

Tasting young Vintage Port is not easy. In fact, I think it is the most difficult tasting in the wine business. It's not about finding the biggest, baddest wines out there. You can easily get seduced by the rich, sweet fruit of young Port. You have to look for what Port shippers call "grip." It refers to the tannin density, quality and finish that define a great Port. Check out my video.

Sure, black or purple color is very important. And clean and beautiful fruit is a must in a young Vintage Port. But without that intensity of tannins, a young Vintage Port is not going to age for decades ahead. I think Vintage Ports really only come into their own after about 20, 30 or 40 years of bottle age. The 1970s, 1966s and 1963s are just now right to drink.

The top 2007 Ports will certainly age incredibly well. And although they are very balanced and beautiful, it would be a waste to drink them with only 10 or 15 years of bottle age.

Port producers themselves believe they have a great year. As Johnny Graham, the owner of Churchill Port, describes the style of them, "They have a structure like an iron fist in a silk glove."

"When I taste 2007, I know that it is a great vintage," said Cristiano Van Zeller, whose family once owned Quinta do Noval and who now owns and makes Port and table wine at Quinta do Vale Dona Maria. "I think that there are three great vintages in the last four decades: 1970, 1994 and 2007."

I would add 1977. And the comparison to 2007 is very interesting. The top 1977 Vintage Ports are still very youthful and reserved in style. They are not big, fat juicy Ports they never have been but they impress you with their length, freshness and power. They are very subtle and refined, and I think the 2007s are the same. The 2007s also remind me of the 1955s, a vintage that was always balanced and refined. But I wasn't around when they were tasted from barrel.

I rate 2007 overall better than 1977 or 1955, although not quite at the level of 1994 (which I rated 99 points). I give it 98 points, the same as 2003. It is a much more refined and racy vintage than the big, blockbuster and ripe wines made in 2003, so it's a question of style.

"Nothing is better than 1994, but 2007 is very close," said Paul Symington, the chairman of the Symington Port group that makes such top names as Graham, Dow and Warre. It also owns and produces a top single-quinta (a "farm") Port called Quinta do Vesuvio, and that estate released a new reserve cuvée Vintage Port in 2007 called A Capela.

What made 2007 very special was the long and relatively cool grapegrowing season. It began with a poor flowering of the vines, so the grape crop was already reduced. June and July were very warm and sunny with occasional rain. Mildew was widespread, so prudent treatment in the vineyard was necessary. But August was sunny and cool instead of boiling hot. The grapes and tannins developed slowly and wonderfully. This set the style of the vintage. September and October were almost perfect. The grapes were harvested under clear skies.

2007 was a cool year so the wines made are more elegant, with fine tannins," said Adrian Bridge, the head of The Fladgate Partnership, which includes Taylor Fladgate, Fonseca, Croft and Skeffington. Taylor's single-quinta, old-vine 2007 Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha was the best wine of my tasting. "They are very harmonious with good acidity and balance. They do not appear to have the 'puppy fat' found in wines made in the hotter, riper years, nor some of the more developed characters that are found in such vintages. The quality of fruit is what stands out in the year, and this comes from the more even ripening that happens when you do not have excessive heat."

The question now is the strength of demand for 2007 Vintage Port, especially in such a down economy. The key markets are the United States and the United Kingdom, and most of the top names in Vintage Port hope to sell close to 1,000 cases of each brand in the two markets. Prices are expected to be comparable to 2003 Vintage Ports currently on the market. For instance, Graham should sell for about $90 a bottle while its sister houses, Dow and Warre, should sell their 2007s for about $76 and $72 a bottle, respectively.

TAYLOR FLADGATE Vintage Port Quinta de Vargellas Vinha Velha 2007 Score: 97-100
This is the Port of the vintage. Blackberry and cassis on the nose. Very perfumed and fruity. Some mineral and wet earth underneath. Full-bodied, medium sweet and very chewy, with fabulous tannins and a big mouthfeel. Racy and powerful. J.S.

GRAHAM Vintage Port 2007 Score: 96-99
Great nose of crushed blackberry, currant and grape skin. Intense. Full-bodied, dense and beautiful, with big, polished tannins and a long, long finish. Very sweet. This is a superb young vintage Port. Could match or better the fabulous 2000 Graham. J.S.

WARRE Vintage Port 2007 Score: 95-98
I love the nose on this, with blackberry, black licorice, and dark chocolate. Full-bodied, medium sweet and very, very dense. What seductive mouthfeel, with polished, round tannins that caress the palate. This may be better than the fantastic 1994. J.S.

DOW Vintage Port 2007 Score: 94-97
Intense aromas of blackberry, wet earth and grape follow through to a full body, with medium-to-light sweetness, very big tannins and a mouthfilling finish. Round and delicious already. Has the stuffing to age. Powerful. J.S.

QUINTA DO NOVAL Vintage Port 2007 Score: 94-97
Impressive aromas of crushed blackberry, mineral and dried flowers. Intense and deep. Full-bodied, very sweet and dense on the palate, with big, round tannins and a long finish. J.S.

TAYLOR FLADGATE Vintage Port 2007 Score: 94-97
A classic baby Vintage Port nose of blackberry, currant and a little bit of green lemon leaf. Full-bodied and medium sweet. There's a solid core of ripe fruit and powerful tannins, with grip. The real deal. J.S.

NIEPOORT Vintage Port 2007 Score: 93-96
Wonderful aromas of violet, blackberry and citrus fruits. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with layers of ripe, polished tannins. Very very long. Goes on and on. Very layered and well-crafted. J.S.

SANDEMAN Vintage Port 2007 Score: 93-96
Fantastic aromas of crushed blackberry and mineral. Amazing. Full-bodied, with chewy tannins that are mouthpuckering, with dark chocolate and intense, fresh dark fruits. Long and very pretty. The best in decades. J.S.

QUINTA DO VALE MEÃO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 93-96
Intense aromas of crËme de cassis, blackberry and wet earth. Full-bodied, with medium sweetness and a solid core of dense, polished tannins. It goes on for minutes. Structure with harmony. A very serious effort from this mighty wine estate. J.S.

QUINTA DO VESUVIO Vintage Port A Capela 2007 Score: 93-96
Beautiful aromas of violet and crushed raspberry, with some pepper, follow through to a full body, with a dense, rich palate, yet balanced and very refined. Medium sweet. Wonderfully polished. Powerful and long. This is a new tiny production, with an exce J.S.

CHURCHILL Vintage Port Quinta da Gricha 2007 Score: 92-95
I love the nose of blackberry and currant, with some wet earth too. Full-bodied and very thick and powerful, with leafy, stemmy crushed berry flavors. Lasts a very long time. J.S.

FONSECA Vintage Port 2007 Score: 92-95
Cooked raspberry, with hints of lemon peel and leaf. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with a beautiful density and a sweet fruity and tannic aftertaste. Balanced yet muscular. A little disappointing, but clearly outstanding. J.S.

GOULD CAMPBELL Vintage Port 2007 Score: 92-95
Dark in color. Very perfumed, with blackberry and flowers. Full-bodied and very dense, yet balanced and superrefined. Very sweet. Long and intense. There's wonderful harmony in this young Vintage Port. J.S.

NIEPOORT Vintage Port Pisca 2007 Score: 92-95
Cassis and blackberry galore on the nose, with mineral and wet earth. Full-bodied, with big, chewy tannins and a long finish. Polished and structured. J.S.

QUINTA DO VALE DONA MARIA Vintage Port 2007 Score: 92-95
Gorgeous aromas of blackberry, crushed raspberry and flowers. Full-bodied, with soft, polished tannins. Very sweet. Layered and very rich. Long finish. J.S.

QUINTA DO VESUVIO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 92-95
This is black in color. Sweet berry and plum on the nose, with wet earth, pepper and leaf notes. Minerally. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with a solid core of tannins and a dense palate. Long and chewy, with a core of sweet fruit. J.S.

POÇAS JUNIOR Vintage Port 2007 Score: 91-94
Dark in color, with lots of citrus fruit, blackberry, blueberry and mint. Full-bodied and very chunky, with big, powerful tannins and a long, fruity finish. This has grip. Super well done for this producer. J.S.

QUARLES HARRIS Vintage Port 2007 Score: 91-94
Black in color, with blackberry notes. Deep, dense aromas of crushed dark fruit, with hints of dark chocolate. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with big, chunky, chewy tannins, yet they are polished and beautiful. Excellent persistence. J.S.

QUINTA DO TEDO Vintage Port Savedra 2007 Score: 91-94
A fascinating nose of blackberry, grilled meat and lemon peel. Turns to black licorice. Full-bodied, rich and very powerful, with an excellent finish. Lasts for minutes. A small production Vintage Port, from some of the best terraced vineyards in the esta J.S.

COCKBURN Vintage Port Quinta dos Canais 2007 Score: 90-93
This is superfruity, with blackberry, citrus fruit and grape on the nose. Full-bodied, with chewy tannins, medium sweetness and a fresh and very, very clean finish. A focused and precise young fortified wine. From a top vineyard site. J.S.

FERREIRA Vintage Port 2007 Score: 90-93
Gorgeous blackberry, currant and violet on the nose. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with ultrapolished tannins and a long, lingering finish. A tight and very well-crafted young Vintage Port. J.S.

MARTINEZ Vintage Port 2007 Score: 90-93
Wonderful aromas of cassis and blackberry that turn to tar and spices, with citrus fruit. Full-bodied and lightly sweet, with big, polished tannins that caress the palate. Very pretty, yet structured. J.S.

QUINTA DO NOVAL Vintage Port Silval 2007 Score: 90-93
Violet and crushed berries on the nose, with currant. Full-bodied and lightly sweet, with a solid core of ripe fruit and chewy tannins that are polished and refined. J.S.

QUINTA DO TEDO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 90-93
Lovely aromas of milk chocolate and blackberry. Full-bodied, thick and very sweet and rich, with polished and round tannins. Wonderfully crafted. J.S.

BURMESTER Vintage Port 2007 Score: 89-92
Blackberry, currant and citrus fruit on the nose. Full-bodied, with a wonderful density of fruit and ultrafine tannins. Builds on your palate. Very good intensity. J.S.

CROFT Vintage Port 2007 Score: 89-92
Very pretty aromas of blackberry and dark chocolate, with hints of green leaf. Excellent nose. Medium- to full-bodied, with medium chewy tannins and a fresh finish. Medium sweet. Needs a little more grip on the palate and finish. A little disappointing. T J.S.

KOPKE Vintage Port 2007 Score: 89-92
Pure plum on the nose, with orange peel and dried flowers. Full-bodied, medium sweet and very chunky and rich, with firm tannins and lots of fruit. Just coming together now, but there's all the components for an outstanding Vintage Port. J.S.

OFFLEY Vintage Port Boa Vista 2007 Score: 89-92
Dark in color, with very pretty perfumes of blackberry and black currant. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with chewy tannins and a long finish. Well-crafted and beautiful. J.S.

QUINTA DA ROMANEIRA Vintage Port 2007 Score: 89-92
A soft, pretty Port, with plum and berry aromas and flavors. Full-bodied, very sweet and round, with a medium finish. J.S.

QUINTA DE LA ROSA Vintage Port 2007 Score: 89-92
Cooked fruit aromas, with blackberry and cherry. Full-bodied, with chewy tannins, light sweetness and a tannic finish. This has an interesting structure. Needs to come together. But all there. Should be outstanding. J.S.

SKEFFINGTON Vintage Port 2007 Score: 89-92
Black licorice on the nose, with mineral and blackberry. Full-bodied, with wonderful density and sweetness. Long and caressing, with ripe, polished tannins. Slightly one-dimensional now. J.S.

SMITH WOODHOUSE Vintage Port 2007 Score: 89-92
There's plenty of blueberry and raspberry in this young Vintage Port. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with chewy tannins and a medium finish. Chunky and a little awkward now. But the structure is very good to excellent. J.S.

BROADBENT Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Plum jam and berry aromas follow through to a full body, with medium sweetness and a soft, fruity finish. Tannins come up at the end. Shows potential. J.S.

CÁLEM Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Violet and berries on the nose, with licorice. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with a wonderful density of fruit and fine tannins. Subtle yet structured. J.S.

CHURCHILL Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Blackberry and mahogany aromas, with hints of green coffee bean and citrus fruit. Full-bodied and very sweet, with polished tannins and a long, flavorful finish. J.S.

QUINTA DO PORTAL Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Black in color, with good intensity to the notes lavender, blackberry, blueberry and citrus fruit. There's a slightly strange nose, with just a hint of lemongrass. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with polished tannins. Pretty and a little simple on the fini J.S.

RAMOS-PINTO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Very, very ripe aromas, with black licorice, black currant and hints of dark chocolate. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with polished tannins. Needs a little more in the center palate to be outstanding. Wait and see. J.S.

REAL COMPANHIA VELHA Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Citrus fruits, blackberry and flowers on the nose. Full-bodied, with medium sweetness, polished tannins and a long finish. There's lots of length and finesse to this. J.S.

ROYAL OPORTO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Black currant on the nose, with hints of flowers, follow through to a medium body, with refined tannins and a fresh, clean finish. Medium sweet. Focused and very pretty. J.S.

ROZÈS Vintage Port 2007 Score: 88-91
Black cherry and plum aromas follow through to a full body, with soft, sweet tannins and a good amount of grip. Very sweet. J.S.

DELAFORCE Vintage Port 2007 Score: 87-90
Black currant and berries on the nose. Medium-bodied and very sweet, with good fruit and a long finish. Shows well. Attractive. J.S.

QUINTA DE VENTOZELO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 87-90
Tar and crushed blackberry aromas follow through to a full-bodied, medium sweet and chewy, tannic palate. Medium finish. Builds on the palate. Could end up outstanding. J.S.

BARROS Vintage Port 2007 Score: 86-89
Stemmy and very fruity, almost jammy, with lots of raspberry. Full-bodied and very sweet, with round tannins and a clean, fruity finish. A little short, but clean and attractive. J.S.

COCKBURN Vintage Port 2007 Score: 86-89
Some crushed berry and nut aromas, with a medium-to-full body, soft tannins and a simple finish. Disappointing. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. J.S.

QUINTA DO CRASTO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 86-89
Floral aromas, with citrus fruits and blueberry. Medium-bodied and medium sweet, with a good density of tannins and a medium finish. For early drinking. A little disappointing. J.S.

QUINTA DO INFANTADO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 86-89
Blackberry and cherry aromas follow through to a medium- to full-bodied palate, with fine tannins. There's medium sweetness and a simple finish. J.S.

QUINTA DE RORIZ Vintage Port 2007 Score: 86-89
Slightly spirity, with cooked plum fruit aromas. Medium- to full-bodied, with raisin and spice fruit. Not much to this. How disappointing. J.S.

WINE & SOUL Vintage Port Pintas 2007 Score: 86-89
Blackberry, cherry and licorice aromas follow through to a medium body, with medium sweetness, plum and light stemmy undertones. J.S.

QUINTA DO PASSADOURO Vintage Port 2007 Score: 85-88
Sweet, soft and simple, with pretty ripe plum and cherry fruit character, a full body and round tannins. Tasted twice, with consistent notes. J.S.

RAMOS-PINTO Vintage Port Quinta da Ervamoira 2007 Score: 84-87
Light raisin and dark berries on the nose, with plum. Medium-bodied, with light sweetness, soft tannins and a medium finish. J.S.

QUINTA DE SANTA BÀRBARA Vintage Port 2007 Score: 84-87
Shows blackberry and black currant on the nose. Medium-bodied, with light sweetness, soft tannins and a simple finish. For early drinking. J.S.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Thanks for posting that; it's good to see an overview of the whole vintage. The mind boggles at tasting that many cask samples, though :shock:

What I missed on reading through the first time was that he rates both Churcill and Cockburn's SQVPs over their VPs. Perhaps this might be where the bargins of 2007 might be had?
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Thanks for the print, Portman

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cooked raspberry, with hints of lemon peel and leaf. Full-bodied and medium sweet, with a beautiful density and a sweet fruity and tannic aftertaste. Balanced yet muscular. A little disappointing, but clearly outstanding. J.S.
How do you get "A little disappointing" and "Clearly outstanding" all in one sentance??? Quite interesting I must say.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

How do you get "A little disappointing" and "Clearly outstanding" all in one sentance??? Quite interesting I must say.
- Well spotted!

I tend to find Suckling's notes rather shallow and slightly irritating; his track record on port is also less than illustrious.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say...

Tom
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:
- Well spotted!

I tend to find Suckling's notes rather shallow and slightly irritating; his track record on port is also less than illustrious.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say...

Tom
yes the major pitfall to "snap shot" tastings. It's hard to write a detailed note when you're only spending a few minutes at best with each glass.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy V wrote:
The range 92-95 also seems to be inconsistent with the description "outstanding" :?
Ernest H. Cockburn