Where to get Port Tongs

Anything to do with Port.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Re: Where to get Port Tongs

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, although it requires a modicum of common sense. :P

Lay the tongs down with the important end in the gas flame (if you have an electric stove ... don't waste your time). Do not leave the wood handle near open flames on adjacent burner. Next, wait about 2-3 minutes and pretending your Port tong is a piece of bacon, turn it over (carefully, without trying to taste the bacon!) so that the other side cooks equally hot. Then remove from the flame, turn off the gas by rotating the knob in the opposite direction that you would pass the decanter of Port and voila! The rest should be easy. Your arm hairs will not be singed, your fingers not charred and hopefully the neck of your Port bottle will be very easy to remove.
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I am about to buy an induction hob - the kind that only heats magnetic materials such as steel. Can I also heat my tongs on my induction hob?

More seriously, I do appreciate the help and guidance - and if anyone does have a serious answer to my flippant question, I would be interested to know although I would be surprised if an induction hob could get port tongs hot enough for them to work effectively.

Axel - thanks for the offer, but I think I will buy a set from Vinologia, either by mail order or when I eventually get to revisit Oporto.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

An induction hub? well in that case you might really want to consider this garrotte thing i made.

actually, how about a different offer... does anyone here want one? I was thinking of making a few more.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

SushiNorth wrote:An induction hub? well in that case you might really want to consider this garrotte thing i made.

actually, how about a different offer... does anyone here want one? I was thinking of making a few more.
I'd be interested, but would just have to figure out how to get them to the UK now that I am not going to be travelling to the US for work. My next trip is likely not going to be until 2011 or 2012.

I guess I can always use the US mail...

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:does anyone here want one? I was thinking of making a few more.
Yes please.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Please get one for me as well.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I prefer the parallel style and have never had an issue of them sitting too low. The stand over ones are more apt to touch the wax capsole which smells awful when heated.

I am planning on making a batch, but that is a year or so off. Finding iron workers at light wages is no easy task.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

FYI -- obtained most of the supplies for the port garrottes, will make five on this round (3 yes's here, and two more just in case)
JoshDrinksPort
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Can I please be the 4th yes?

Thanks
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If it helps I’ll deliver to DRT.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Sounds good, I've offered #5 to the guy in the youtube video (improvised port tongs). If anyone else wants, I can always make more. I'll drill out as many handles as possible this time, I may simply need to get more of the steel cable. jdaw, thanks, i'd kinda hoped someone's overseas travel would facilitate getting them there.

I'm off to try to get the last 2 components (the clamps for the cable and the right sized dowel to fill in the hole -- my first round didn't have that and I think it'll look better that way).
JoshDrinksPort
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:If it helps I’ll deliver to DRT.
Thanks
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

They're ready. :)
JoshDrinksPort
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I am working on getting these made in the USA. What do you think a good selling price in USD would be for these with an included wooden box?
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

mosesbotbol wrote:I am working on getting these made in the USA. What do you think a good selling price in USD would be for these with an included wooden box?
Well, before you dash off and order 100, i'm going to post a video of my little contraption when I open the 83 tomorrow (fear not, tasters, I have a spare 83 bottle cleaned and waiting for the double-decant). Might be worth checking out before making large iron tongs.
JoshDrinksPort
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

JoshDrinksPort
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

That looks excellent 88)

Please let us know the cost and give my set to JDAW so that he can deliver them to me on his next trip to the UK.

Thanks
Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JDAW has DRT’s set.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Good looking port garottes. Thank you.

But the video is far too slow, and you need a friend to hold the camera and sometimes zoom in.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The garottes have a ring of metal, through which the wire goes, that you have bent into shape for the job. The ends of this ring sometimes catch the wire. Is there a reason you chose not to use a large plain keyring? It would last longer and have a smoother surface and hence be less likely to catch. Would they have the required heat tolerance?
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

OK, just to check
1 Jdaw
2 AHB
3 Axel
4 DRT
5 that guy on youtube

I gave two to JDaw last night, we can figure out how to get the rest to the UK shortly.
Neither of us were quite satisfied with the "ring" mechanism that keeps the cable loop from straightening out (thereby trying to flip the bottle). It can catch when trying to pull the loop tight. I think it needs to be a little rounder actually, and not as tight on the ends of the oval as I have it now. It's easy to remove it with just two pairs of pliers (grab either end and twist) and I'm going to try out some alternatives on the three I have left. It also occurs to me, it might just be feasible to tie the cable in a single overhand knot (step one of tying a shoelace). Looks like more experiments are in order, but for future versions I may just get a solid ring and thread the loop before locking the cable into the handles.
JoshDrinksPort
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:The garottes have a ring of metal, through which the wire goes, that you have bent into shape for the job. The ends of this ring sometimes catch the wire. Is there a reason you chose not to use a large plain keyring? It would last longer and have a smoother surface and hence be less likely to catch. Would they have the required heat tolerance?
Yes, actually I don't think a key ring will hold up, i considered that. what I really need to use are O rings (premade) and to put them on before I start. I believe it is possible to put one of these on the ones you have, but you'll need to heat the tongs over a fire first (and let them cool) as they become more pliable. You can likely just slip one over a tight loop at that point. perhaps 2-3" in diameter.

Really, the ring needs to be the first step in making these, rather than the last. Duly noted for next time :) The first one I made had a much smoother ring so I didn't notice the problem. I'll figure out this little problem and apply to the three I've got left here :)
JoshDrinksPort
raul_alex
Cheap Ruby

Post by raul_alex »

A friend of mine has a Wineshop in Porto and he sells and ships port wine tongs.
The name of the shop is "Vinologia".
The website is http://www.lamaisondesporto.com/
If you need any help let me know.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A few of us on this site have spent many hours sampling wonderful ports with Gustavo at Vinologia. A very cool place to drink port 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

This afternoon, opening a CáF96, I completely forgot to use the garotte. But I just tested it on the empty bottle, and I am a fan. The garotte is so much better than tongs. Please, if there is a second batch of garottes, may I have one to keep in the UK?