New York again, Easter

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Re: New York again, Easter

Post by Miguel Simoes »

John M wrote:I will be unable to attend...off on holiday. :evil:
Have Fun
Hopefully next time, you've been one of the most keen on tastings in the NY/NJ area...
pianoaes
Cruz Ruby

Post by pianoaes »

April 1 is perfect! After so many years of waiting for a New York gathering I am thrilled to finally attend! Just let us know when and where in NYC. Midtown would be superb!!!!!! Thank you all in advance Arlene
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Miguel Simoes wrote:Are we necessarily one person/bottle? I've found it tends to be a good deal more Port than i can stomach. How do you guys typically do it?
In London? Well, 1¼ to 2 bottles per person. Which probably doesn’t help you.
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

jdaw1 wrote:
Miguel Simoes wrote:Are we necessarily one person/bottle? I've found it tends to be a good deal more Port than i can stomach. How do you guys typically do it?
In London? Well, 1¼ to 2 bottles per person. Which probably doesn’t help you.
JDaw--I suppose we are not professionals over here!!!. :wink:

Miguel: Take your time, hydrate a lot, and if you must, then spit. The last one I went to in NYC we had 14-15 ports that we visited with over 5 hours.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

John M wrote:hydrate a lot
In advance is as important as during. Try to have a pint of water an hour, from midday to midnight. Six pints of water over the afternoon before you start will give you stamina and sobriety.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
John M wrote:hydrate a lot
In advance is as important as during. Try to have a pint of water an hour, from midday to midnight. Six pints of water over the afternoon before you start will give you stamina and sobriety.
I think 'sobriety' is probably stretching the point.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

@jdaw1, thanks much for your placemats and for finding out / knowing first names etc. Very much appreciated.

Do we have any further advance on a venue?

If Graham is the theme I have 85 or 94, but I also have a 55 which is the last of a small batch that have drunk wonderfully in the last couple of years but which probably needs to be drunk soon. I have flown with 55s lately and they have not suffered from the journey.

Is there any interest in the 55? Auction cost was around £105 stg I believe, if we're balancing bottle cost. I am happy to keep it if that is the preferred consensus.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I am a reciprocal member of the Players' Club and the Down Town Association and I've enquired of both of these whether it's possible for reciprocal members to book private rooms, and if so, what the terms might be.

Will advise what reply I receive.
Daniel J.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Thank you Daniel for inquiring w them.

I've reached out to a couple of venues and the response has not been great. The big picture is that it being a Friday night plus a group potentially in the mid teens makes it tricky. The number of glasses needed is also an issue. A venue quoted me $25/person for glasses alone.

I will reach out to a couple more but am thinking we may have to restrict ourselves to a small-ish group so we can fly under the radar.

Your 1955 would be fantastic. I too am going off of the bottle purchase price for the ones I am offering to provide.
J a y H a c k
Cheap Ruby

Post by J a y H a c k »

I won the bid on the 1985 Grahams at the auction that closed today, so i can bring that. I have not seen the bottle yet but I should be able to have it at my office by the end of the week.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Sorry folks been busy w kids. Give me parameters. How many people. How much we want to spend

I can bring 36 glasses s potentially
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I will also admit that I have no Graham's of interestd except the 85
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Still working out a venue... reached out to Aldea and Lupulo, see what we get there, a hoping something better than the below:

So far...
- Public (in NOLITA) came back w seating for up to 16, min food+beverage $1500 (plus tax+tip), corkage fee $25/bottle that would count towards min spend, two prix fixe menus to choose from ($65 and $85 / person). Am thinking this will come to $150-200 per person before Port... too pricey IMO
- North Sq (by Wash Sq Park) seats up to 24, min food+beverage $500 (plus tax+tip), corkage fee $15/bottle, service min of $185 for up to 12 people, double if more than 12 (or 20% of spend, whichever greater), prix fixe $60/person. Am thinking this would come to $100-135/person before Port... much better than above but still need to clear out that we'd get proper glassware - their offer was for 4 bordeaux glasses/person...
- Left Bank (last years venue, in Greenwich Village) seats up to 20, min food+beverage $1500 (plus tax+tip), $25 corkage fee, $25 glass rental fee (wouldnt count towards min spend), $65/person prix fixe, ahhhhhhh! we'd be looking at a crazy $200+/person for 12 people...
- The Palm Too never got back to me wrt tasting in the main room... a separate room would require a min $3000 spend. and glassware was clearly an issue
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

g-man wrote:Sorry folks been busy w kids. Give me parameters. How many people. How much we want to spend.
I can bring 36 glasses s potentially
g-man! wonderful to hear from you. I too have about 30 glasses i could bring.

I am only seeing your post now after submitting mine. If you have ideas reg places we could do it at pls feel free!

W you we're talking 7 forum members, Daniel wanted to extend an invite to 1-2 people and I have 3-4 friends who said they'd join. Doty mentioned having 6+ friends that could also be interested.

Am willing to cut my friends out if that means we're able to find a venue where we dont feel raped. So far the only finalized quote i got was from Public (see prior post) which would come to $150-200 before Port. It's a great venue and we'd get a room just for us, but feel that would be on the high end of what people would be looking to spend...

If people OK w spending kind of $$, that would make life a lot easier wrt finding a place.

Am guessing Port will end up be just under $100/person.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Good news.

Lupulo (www.lupulonyc.com) is lining up nicely.
- No corkage fee!
- No min consumption, or min number of people
- No goofy server requirements
- They'll need to rent glasses. Prelim number was $250 for it. They're looking into how they can scale that up/down w the number of people on our end, i'll keep you posted.
- I'll work through the menus later but looking like $95/person for food
- We'll have to shoot for 830pm start time so as to keep the table for the rest of the night

Am thinking we'll be about $150/person before Port. Likely $~100 for Port.

Reasonable enough?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Friday nights @ 8:30pm might be tough for me because of the kids

but I would happily contribute a bottle to the tasting regardless

wrt port glasses, i think that's going to be trouble wherever.

I do have boxes of the port tasting glasses we all have become accustomed to but as i would be coming from work, lugging boxes + bottles is not ideal.

And having to drive in after a night of drinking port is even worse.

In terms of places:
Palm Tribeca, I've already spoke to one of the GMs there, and they were willing to doa 95$/prefix + tax/tip and they would waive corkage if we ordered a few bottles of white/sparklers off their list.

There are a few other places down town taht I know the GMs of that i can ask

7-10 is doable @ 150$ ... but if we were to push it out to 15-20/people that might be really tough.

not to mention sourcing enough bottles!
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Would be great if you could make it. And steak would be great too. I'll keep Lupulo in the back burner for now.

What time would you be shooting for? Can you zero in on how many we can be before they run into glassware issues?

Looking like $150 food + $100 port... likely at the Palm Tribeca.

Earlier on the below showed interest. Can each pls reaffirm it, along w the bottles each can bring?
- Miguel Simoes (70, 77, 83, 94)
- Jeff (g-man) (85)
- Chris Doty (60, 63, 66)
- Daniel Jewesbury (do you have any confirmed guests? 55, 85, 94)
- Arlene (you have a bottle you'd like to bring? looking to adopt?)
- Jay Hack (85)
- Moses Botbol (can you make it??)

Anyone I may be missing? Jeff, can you ping Josh? Am surprised he'd miss it.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Miguel Simoes wrote:Would be great if you could make it. And steak would be great too. I'll keep Lupulo in the back burner for now.

What time would you be shooting for? Can you zero in on how many we can be before they run into glassware issues?

Looking like $150 food + $100 port... likely at the Palm Tribeca.

Earlier on the below showed interest. Can each pls reaffirm it, along w the bottles each can bring?
- Miguel Simoes (70, 77, 83, 94)
- Jeff (g-man) (85)
- Chris Doty (60, 63, 66)
- Daniel Jewesbury (do you have any confirmed guests? 55, 85, 94)
- Arlene (you have a bottle you'd like to bring? looking to adopt?)
- Jay Hack (85)
- Moses Botbol (can you make it??)

Anyone I may be missing? Jeff, can you ping Josh? Am surprised he'd miss it.
the palm has no glass ware (except red wine glasses), it'd be the same deal where we'd have to bring in our own glasses or rent them. I should have been more clear.

I tried reaching out to josh, but he just bought a new home and has a 1yr old so ooks like he's been tied up
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Its killing me to miss this--I have a bunch of various Grahams including some ex-cellar 1970 Grahams. Have fun---hope you find your venue.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Placemats updated to include Lupulo, and assuming bottles as: 1955 Daniel J.; 1960 1963 1966 Chris D.; 1970 1977 1983 1994 Miguel S.; 1985 Jay H. That is surely wrong, and can be changed as this thread updates.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

jdaw1 wrote:Placemats updated to include Lupulo, and assuming bottles as: 1955 Daniel J.; 1960 1963 1966 Chris D.; 1970 1977 1983 1994 Miguel S.; 1985 Jay H. That is surely wrong, and can be changed as this thread updates.
@jdaw1: you rock. any plans of visiting NYC?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:Placemats updated to include Lupulo, and assuming bottles as: 1955 Daniel J.; 1960 1963 1966 Chris D.; 1970 1977 1983 1994 Miguel S.; 1985 Jay H. That is surely wrong, and can be changed as this thread updates.
I'm still corresponding with the Players' Club [the apostrophe is moot - they don't use it] and the Down Town Association.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Miguel Simoes wrote:any plans of visiting NYC?
As and when, I will seize ancient powers and declare there to be an NYC tasting — even if I am the only attendee.
djewesbury wrote:I'm still corresponding with the Players' Club [the apostrophe is moot - they don't use it] and the Down Town Association.
If Lupulo is changed, the placemats will echo that change. Instructions awaited.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

last minutew ork thing for me

i have to fly out for work for this tasting

if you guys have a place, I can drop the bottle off before hand
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Sad to hear, you're on the the biggest enthusiasts in town...
Never thanked you for last year's bottle, it was truly outstanding!

Daniel, any word from the venues you're in touch with?