It's just not cricket

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: It's just not cricket

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:You'd put Root and Stokes in to get these runs surely..?
Probably Bell and Anderson.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That's what I love about Test cricket. 4 days of tedium with longevity records tumbling, and then a sudden and frantic attempt at a result.

Was a long and tedious first innings any worse for Test cricket than a first innings which is half over before lunch on day 1?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:That's what I love about Test cricket. 4 days of tedium with longevity records tumbling, and then a sudden and frantic attempt at a result.

Was a long and tedious first innings any worse for Test cricket than a first innings which is half over before lunch on day 1?
No. Both are bad.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:That's what I love about Test cricket. 4 days of tedium with longevity records tumbling, and then a sudden and frantic attempt at a result.

No. Both are bad.
I think I understand what you're doing wrong. You think cricket is first and foremost about a narrow idea of enjoyment; no. Cricket need not primarily be enjoyable per se. It is just silly to criticise cricket for being unenjoyable; because its main function is to be a focus for philosophy and reflection. It is an intellectual activity. There is no 'bad' or 'good' here; just some games which are differently challenging and differently rewarding.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Cricket need not primarily be enjoyable ... its main function is to be a focus for philosophy and reflection. It is an intellectual activity.
Ah, now I understand why it is £100 for a ticket :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Having not followed the test closely (who did? Not even the players at times) I too thought the lack of atmosphere deadening to even the more interesting passages of play. The vast silence of all those seats overwhelmed the cricket and put me in mind of all those little clay men by Gormley.

The last session, although it is Rashid who will be remembered I would also put in a vote for Mo's two wickets, he has a knack of taking big wickets with innocuous balls. Cook was marvellous, whatever the conditions it was a remarkable innings. And Bell, having dropped 200 and something runs in the first innings scores sixty-ish, leaving him with a deficit of about 150 runs in the match. His sixty being a score which makes no palpable difference to the result but is just enough not to get dropped, unlike those catches.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:There's plenty of atmosphere today.
Twelve fat blokes singing a dodgy version of Jerusalem is not what I call "plenty of atmosphere".
Interesting. It must just be the singing that you don't like then, because I usually only see you in a room containing twelve fat blokes and you seem to enjoy yourself well enough.
We rarely book rooms that take 50,000 people. I think even our tastings would lack atmosphere in such circumstances.

Is it just me who thinks Daniel only comes to this thread to have a moan at me for grumbling about cricket?
Sorry, but Daniel's post about "generally meeting up with 12 fat blokes in a room" made me genuinely laugh out loud and wins the day.

The cricket this week was generally dull, with a hint of interesting at the end. Loved the rugby though, if not the results.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:Sorry, but Daniel's post about "generally meeting up with 12 fat blokes in a room" made me genuinely laugh out loud and wins the day.
Like most comedy geniuses he is under-appreciated in his time. Askey > Secombe > Manning > Cannon > Jewesbury - where will it all end?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Twelve fat blokes singing a dodgy version of Jerusalem
They are at it again this morning.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

After establishing a very strong position overnight, and with talk of them winning whilst only batting once, England have managed to throw away 7 wickets for 60 runs and now look almost certain to lose.

It might or might not be significant that the 12 fat blokes did not sing Jerusalem at the opening of play this morning.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Talking of fat blokes/ladies singing I wonder if Bell may have cut it a bit fine. I thought he would need at least 50 to save his place, but 46 is close and Vaughan was saying he deserved another innings. The manner of his dismissal was also beautifully nuanced. On the one hand you could say it was bad luck to be given out on review. But I can't help thinking a number three batsman should really know to keep his hands out of the way when padding up. As predicted his score has made no discernible difference to the outcome of the match.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The commentators on Sky were suggesting he needed an innings-saving performance to keep his place for the next test. He clearly didn't manage that but with Cook injured I wonder if the selectors will be brave enough to remove one of the old guard with the risk that Cook might also miss the game.

Is this the first Bell ever to have been made of Teflon?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Very flattered by Phil's remarks and pleased to have given some worthwhile amusement, as must Ian Bell be this evening. I hold fast to my view that Derek has a narrow, utilitarian, Gradgrindish approach not only to cricket but to sport as a whole. It isn't a poncey statement to assert that cricket is about life. I actually think it's true! It matters precisely because it doesn't matter.

Discuss.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:It isn't a poncey statement to assert that cricket is about life. I actually think it's true! It matters precisely because it doesn't matter.

Discuss.
Nah. Can't be bothered.

I listened to a very interesting interview with the head of the Pakistan Cricket Board this morning on TMS. The tension between them and their Indian equivalents was palpable and it seems they are a very long way from being accepted back into the fold. Security of the teams and supporters obviously paramount but let's hope that prejudice and bigotry do not get in the way. I seen enough of that in Glasgow to know how it can ruin a good sporting day out.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Very flattered by Phil's remarks and pleased to have given some worthwhile amusement, as must Ian Bell be this evening. I hold fast to my view that Derek has a narrow, utilitarian, Gradgrindish approach not only to cricket but to sport as a whole. It isn't a poncey statement to assert that cricket is about life. I actually think it's true! It matters precisely because it doesn't matter.

Discuss.
If I must.
If by narrow, utilitarian and Gradgrindish, you refer to Derek's almost inexplicable interest in the outcome of the match and the skills used to achieve this then I would grudgingly agree.
djewesbury wrote: It isn't a poncey statement to assert that cricket is about life.
Actually it is a bit poncey. But I like that. I am not sure that cricket mimics life rather that it is more revealing of the person than any other sport. But only test cricket. Since I am in philosophical mood I will pass on a mot juste I heard today; "Think on Connie, and look sharp!"
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:If by narrow, utilitarian and Gradgrindish, you refer to Derek's almost inexplicable interest in the outcome of the match and the skills used to achieve this
This bit I can explain. I lived for almost five decades wondering what the point of cricket was all about, as is testified by the first post in this thread. However, Alex and Ben were kind enough to invite me along to a few games a few summers ago and I started to become interested in learning. Personally, I find learning to be much more rewarding than poncey pontification and the gratuitous use of long words in an attempt to look intelligent.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:If by narrow, utilitarian and Gradgrindish, you refer to Derek's almost inexplicable interest in the outcome of the match and the skills used to achieve this
This bit I can explain. I lived for almost five decades wondering what the point of cricket was all about, as is testified by the first post in this thread. However, Alex and Ben were kind enough to invite me along to a few games a few summers ago and I started to become interested in learning. Personally, I find learning to be much more rewarding than poncey pontification and the gratuitous use of long words in an attempt to look intelligent.
Busted.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Who used a long word? The longest word I can see here is pontification, Derek.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Does anyone know a long word for collapse?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A tremendous display from the England tail-enders, particularly Rashid, but a bridge too far after the disastrous first innings. Pakistan were worthy winners.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As I drove to Leeds this morning, I heard Michael Vaughan suggesting that Bell should replace Moen as opener, Taylor move up to 3 and Moen go down to 6 or 7.

Could this be a new lease of life for Ian Bell in the England side?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

He seems to have done it again. He scored 40ish on a pitch where 50 is a good score and someone else then made it a decent innings total. The Teflon Bell still tolls.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Blimey, I didn't see that coming. Last I heard England needed his 'experience'. I think it was getting increasingly hard to justify his place with players like Taylor getting some runs in the one dayers. Compton is a bit of a surprise, but worth a punt.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Some good cricket in South Africa, none of it by the home side, with the notable exception of the opener. Compton seems to be doing well, Hales less so. Is there no stopping Root? Broad likes opening the bowling. What happened to Wood? Not still injured I hope. One nil up tomorrow night unless there is too cautious a declaration. If not then Wednesday.