2015 Harvest

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

2015 Harvest

Post by djewesbury »

It is already February and nobody has begun speculating about weather systems forming in the Gulf of Mexico and what they might mean for this record-breaking vintage.
Does anybody want to start us off?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2015 Harvest

Post by Andy Velebil »

Clouds, there are clouds everywhere. Whatever shall we do?
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

I'll skip ahead to the end point:

2015 - there was weather, wines were made. Best of the 21st century if the middlemen are to be believed.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

PopulusTremula wrote:I'll skip ahead to the end point:

2015 - there was weather, wines were made. Best of the 21st century if the middlemen are to be believed.
Now, now, no need to be so accurate.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

2015 Harvest

Post by djewesbury »

Has nobody been monitoring the long range Atlantic forecasts? Is there no model of El Niño-related jetstream aberrations? Are we completely without testimony of the unusually mild Guatemalan winter?
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My concern is more specific than yours. The forecast of a mid-harvest storm is wrong, even though such forecasts are usually credible. So I do hope that the grapes are not needlessly picked early.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Try GFS, ECM and METO for forecast models. No idea if they will tell you much about Portugal, Em is an avid follower of snow and is forever quoting these.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Thank you, at last some hard data to grapple with.
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It seems that the harvest has started with table wine grapes starting to be processed in at least two wineries.

Has anyone found or is anyone aware of a harvest blog this year?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Not aware of any active blogs - the usual suspects have gone rather quiet, which is a pity..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Is it not still holiday time? I expect some updates to start appearing this week.
Daniel J.
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Post by christopherpfaff »

Francisco Ferreira have told via facebook, that the harvest at Vallado starts today with the picking of Moscatel Galego grapes.

that the harvest starts with white grapes is not unusual, but a beginning in the Baixo Corgo on 18th of August seems to me as it will be an early harvest in general.
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de
Cynthia J
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Cynthia J »

Spoke with a Douro viticultor circa 30 July who said likely quite early - one week if not two - he was seeing pintor end June vs normal mid-end July. Yes, last week July and first two of August are the typical holidays for wine firms and especially the viti and winemaking teams. This week is the usual start of maturation studies, so expect news to start trickling in from here...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Oscar recently posted on Facebook that Quevedo has just started maturation checks and that early indications are that if the weather continues as it is at present then picking is likely to start in early September.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

After a very quiet period in the tropics, which has resulted in a settled weather pattern dumping showers on the UK, but not on Portugal, a whole raft of squalls and a minor hurricane (soon downgraded to a tropical storm) are kicking off, with a another hurricane likely to form up in the next couple of days.

This looks worryingly likely to trip the weather patterns from summer to autumn mode prematurely, and ahead of the port harvest..

..start crossing toes...!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

In an email, Henry Shotton at Malvedos, wrote:Regarding the Vintage yes it seems it will be early. Charles told me to be ready to start at Malvedos on 7-8th September which is about 10 days early!

The grapes are looking magnificent! August was not too hot and there was some rain over the weekend that was much needed and will also soften the skins. So fingers crossed for a good year!
In another email received this morning, Nick Delaforce at Niepoort's Vale de Mendiz winery wrote:Starting harvest EARLY-tomorrow !
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Think Nick may have been talking about the general (table wine / white grape) harvest at Nápoles rather than the port harvest at Mendiz. If they were picking port grapes it would be super early.
Daniel J.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

djewesbury wrote:Think Nick may have been talking about the general (table wine / white grape) harvest at Nápoles rather than the port harvest at Mendiz. If they were picking port grapes it would be super early.
A picture I saw appeared to be white grapes on the sorting table, so one would assume it was white table wine grapes. A tad early for Port grapes still.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have posted a press release from SFE about the 2015 vintage here.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The previously noted activity in the tropics has mostly now morphed into weather systems heading into the Azores, and the Douro forecast for the next week is for showers, some possibly heavy. I'm guessing that this will push the port harvest back a few days.

From the satellite images one can see some clear air behind these systems, so all is not lost - many great vintages have benefited from freshening rain at this stage. The question is whether the necessary window in the weather will then open up to allow a perfect harvest.

There is some fresh activity developing off the African coast at the moment, but this is well to the south of Cape Verde and therefore more likely to head into the Caribbean, rather than to slingshot into europe.

- Here's hoping!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I don't have a local rainfall reading, but the reporting station at Vila Real recorded 37mm of rain last week, which is rather more than enough for freshening purposes..

The IPMA forecast currently indicates a few dry days, but with more, and possibly significant, rain from the 6th to 9th. Accuweather is less pessimistic however.

- And then there's Fred..

Fred is a tropical storm, briefly uprated to hurricane status, that has followed a slightly unusual path up the west coast of Africa and across Cape Verde. It is forecast to veer westward for a few days but is then likely to die out over colder water and dump a load of rain bearing cloud over the Azores and then on to europe. If it heads into Iberia, the timing is likely to be most unwelcome for the port harvest..
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Well, the IPMA forecast for Regua suddenly changed and the rain was cancelled - but now today it has reverted back to much the same forecast as before..

Tropical storm Fred is following the path I feared, and it (or it's remnants) look set to reach the Azores in about a week's time. However the satellite photos are showing a relatively small and focused area of cloud, so it's rain load may be modest - we'll get a better idea as it weakens and the eye disperses..
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

The remnants of hurricane Fred are now bringing showers to northern Portugal; fortunately, most of its rain load seems to have fallen at sea and the Marao will hopefully be catching much of the rest.

However there is currently a dire forecast for Tuesday as the remains of Henri, a storm that had previously looked likely to miss Iberia and head for France and the UK, is now forecast to impact with a vengeance. The IPMA forecast for Regua is for very heavy rain and the Accuweather forecast for Vila Real is for no less than 76mm, with both forecasters predicting further showers for the following two two days..
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

For the second year running, there is word that the growers have been rushing to bring in their best grapes before the weather breaks. This must be hugely frustrating for them.

The forecast is only marginally better than it was a day ago - rain is expected to start falling in the next few hours and get serious tomorrow afternoon..
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:For the second year running, there is word that the growers have been rushing to bring in their best grapes before the weather breaks.
I think what Tom means is that "in each of the last two hundred years grape growers in the Douro have done all they can to harvest their grapes before the weather becomes a problem".

Hold the front page! :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn