It's just not cricket

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: It's just not cricket

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:EDIT: Finny is MOTM after all. Good for him.
What? Anderson was robbed, he won this test on the first day!
Quit your gurning. Only one man was robbed, Warwickshire's favourite. You know who.
For whom the Bell tolls? Salt of the earth - a great guy - never doubted him. Captaincy awaits.
What?? That lazy dolt??? Sack him I say! Immediately! Recall Nick Knight and Graeme Hick!
If you were the opposition captain who would you rather see walking out; Bell or Pietersen? Ramps still has an innings in him too, I fancy...
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk wrote:The morning session tomorrow could well decide this match. If Oz take a couple of wickets then a classic England collapse could easily follow, leaving a lead of maybe 120 or so at best. Will the Oz second innings be better than the first? They would have to hope so! Perhaps a lot better, and that could leave England batting last chasing maybe 200-250, not easy I would say.

The flip is England put on some runs in the morning and after lunch, then a new ball appears after tea. This could see England open up a 250-300 odd lead. It's hard to see Oz coming back from that.

Edit: I would add, a lot rests on Bairstow...if he weathers the early storm in the morning session, my money is on an England win by an Innings margin. If not, who knows...
Reflecting on my predictions after day 1, it turned out that neither side really grasped the initiative at any stage. Oz did get the breakthroughs in the morning session on day 2 but didn't properly finish the England tail off. Oz then failed with bad, save the tail end. As it turned out, batting last, albeit starting that final innings in the 7th session of the match, was not difficult at all.

Turning to the 4th test at Trent Bridge, while not having Anderson is a blow, it will be interesting to see if an untested seamer could come in and make an instant impact. Or will the selectors just leave Mark Wood's swing in the squad...that would be an error I think. My line-up:
Cook
Bairstow
Bell
Root
Ali
Stokes
Buttler
Rashid
Broad
Finn
Some seamer - name unknown
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Show your working. Why do you want Bairstow to open, and why Cook to face the first ball instead of his partner? And why Rashid right now?

Why is Wood thought to be the best option by many, I wonder? Woakes has some wickets this year (not many though); James Harris took 9 for 34 for Middlesex in May, bowling at the other end to Steven Finn. He's never been tried. Even Ajmal has some wickets this season and has experience in an England shirt. Surely there are other options?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:Show your working. Why do you want Bairstow to open, and why Cook to face the first ball instead of his partner? And why Rashid right now?
We have yet to determine who is the most suitable opening partner for Cook, and Bairstow is an option and also opens for his county, so put him in as an opener. Rashid because I think two spinners at Trent Bridge will prove useful. Cook to face the first ball - why not?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

flash_uk wrote:Cook to face the first ball - why not?
0-1 (1) ?
djewesbury wrote:Why is Wood thought to be the best option by many, I wonder? Woakes has some wickets this year (not many though); James Harris took 9 for 34 for Middlesex in May, bowling at the other end to Steven Finn. He's never been tried. Even Ajmal has some wickets this season and has experience in an England shirt. Surely there are other options?
In case you were wondering, I have not had a call from the Selectors, yet.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I don't think they will drop Lyth, he will probably get a run to the end of the series now. I still don't quite get why they picked him as I thought that both Carberry and Compton showed more promise than Lyth has and they both got dropped. Wood is the next in line to replace Anderson, I think Wood is very promising, he looks right. I don't think Rashid will get a bowl (maybe at the Oval?) which is a shame really but Ali's runs are proving critical at dangerous times for England. Difficult to tell with Bairstow as he hasn't had a start yet but it doesn't feel like England's top order is set, but I don't think he's an opener.

But then look at Australia, England are just tinkering about, Australia have a lot of thinking to do, batting, bowling, maybe even the captaincy.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I see they calling up Plunkett and Footit. I know nothing of Footit. If others have knowledge, let them speak.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:I see they calling up Plunkett and Footit. I know nothing of Footit. If others have knowledge, let them speak.
ESPN says (with three "t"s)...
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:I see they calling up Plunkett and Footit. I know nothing of Footit. If others have knowledge, let them speak.
Derbyshire? Don't they play in the same league as Hazelbury Plucknett and Nepnett Thrubwell?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
DRT wrote:
Derbyshire? Don't they play in the same league as Hazelbury Plucknett and Nepnett Thrubwell?
Surely you'd know, I've heard your devious left arm often fools all comers at Nepnett Thrubwell. Don't you have a mystery ball that comes out of the back of the hand and flies across the wicket like exploding shrapnel?
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Don't you have a mystery ball that comes out of the back of the hand
Daniel, what have I told you about personal attacks? Behave.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

It's just not cricket

Post by djewesbury »

No, not that one. Owen's Chinaman is famed in the lower leagues.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I am kept in reserve in case those uppity denizens of Grimstone and Muckleford put on a decent stand. It seems we have not had a mystery spinner story for a while. Nathan Lyon continues to work on his Jeff squared. I long ago perfected mine.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I like the fact that the media can't agree on what exactly is the worst part about everything. England can't produce spinners any more. England can't produce fast bowlers any more. England can't produce left-arm slingers any more. And so on. We can. We produce all these. But a Graeme Swann is a once-in-a-generation phenomenon and even he didn't come good until he was a fairly old man.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:I like the fact that the media can't agree on what exactly is the worst part about everything. England can't produce spinners any more. England can't produce fast bowlers any more. England can't produce left-arm slingers any more. And so on. We can. We produce all these. But a Graeme Swann is a once-in-a-generation phenomenon and even he didn't come good until he was a fairly old man.
England does produce spinners and good ones. Is there not a sense that the spinner has been on a long slow decline in English cricket for thirty years? Or is this much like the essays produced yearly in literary reviews announcing the death of the novel? There may be some things which mitigate against spinners. The pitches for instance seem a little more batting friendly these days, meaning that spinners come out as an expensive option. The four day game, although still played, has to compete with all sorts of limited over formats. The lack of wearing pitches on the last couple of days make it harder to be a match winner as a spinner. I know the argument that T20 has reinvigorated spinning but it is not quite the same job. And then there is the craft itself. It is a craft, with an artisanal tinge to it, that may not appeal to the privately educated who make up the vast majority of professional cricketers in this country.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

What a start!

Oz 10-3 !!!!!

English bowlers seem to have had three Shredded Wheat for breakfast :-)
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Ashes @ Trent Bridge. What a toss to win! Australia 3 wickets down after 8 balls!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

After 22 minutes of deep reflection and consideration of the respective merits of the two teams I have come to the conclusion that England will win the Ashes.

Now 15-4

:shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

England have yet to bat though...

My approach now would be to get the Clarke and Voges wickets, then take it easy and let Oz occupy the crease until after lunch before skittling them. Hopefully the conditions will then have changed and the England openers can see off Starc and Johnson.

Edit 2 minutes later: stage 1 complete...Voges gone.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

21-5

Mike - someone needs to tell Broad! :D (4 wickets in 13 balls!)
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Stage 2 complete. Clarke gone, 29-6 in the 7th over.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Well, at 38-7, Oz have bettered their worst ever test score of 36ao in 1902...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

50-9, but surely Derek can tell us how England have thrown this away.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:50-9, but surely Derek can tell us how England have thrown this away.
As Mike pointed out, England have still to bat :roll:
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

How many hundred will England score?
Daniel J.