Cellar management systems

Data, quotations, and other non-conversational posts containing reference materials.
Martin Peeters
Cheap Ruby

Cellar management systems

Post by Martin Peeters »

Hi all,

I am curious what kind of cellar management systems you are using. In the past I was using just a Excel sheet. Since I made my latest inventory I wanted to use something else. As a Dutchman I don't want to pay for expensive software :wink: So I did find this on the web : http://manageyourcellar.com
Are there others using this aswell?

Best regards

Martin
Also small houses are worth trying.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Cellar management systems

Post by jdaw1 »

Excel is not unusual.

CellarTracker is also popular.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

This is my cellar management system.
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.69 KiB) Viewed 16364 times
Readers will note the input device has great accessibility across a range of platforms and works in any user language. Web security has not been an issue. I do have a back up system which is a bit unreliable but has great functionality; my head.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Hello and welcome, Martin.

I use Vinocellar. It is an Apple iOS app (they don't have an Android version), with additional website access a bit like the example you shared above. The advantage I find with this app is that on the move, it is much easier to pull up the app and search my wines for what I have got, rather than faffing with a website interface or an excel spreadsheet on a tablet/smartphone. If you want, you can dump all the data into a spreadsheet and look at it that way. The interface is very slick, and it can help organise stuff into different cellars, bins etc, which is handy when your wine is scattered across fridges, cellars, offsite storage and so on.

As Julian mentioned above, Cellartracker is very popular. Personally I have found it to be a bit clunky to use when entering details of wines purchased, and their mobile app is not as well developed as the one I am using. It is just not as easy to browse and search what you have in your cellar. The other big issue with their mobile app is that you need to have internet connectivity to use it. The app I use stores data locally and syncs with the central server.

Have fun!
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Oh, and the other thing I have discovered is that my diligence in keeping up to date with bottles going in and out of the cellar is not brilliant. :o
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:Oh, and the other thing I have discovered is that my diligence in keeping up to date with bottles going in and out of the cellar is not brilliant. :o
Not only Flash.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:Excel is not unusual.

a big +1. Been using it for many years and it works great. Their new phone app works just great. It also is the largest online data base for storing wines and user inputted wine notes (which I take with a grain of salt). Highly recommend
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I have a CellarTracker account and never update it. I have one follower (Glenn) and he must presume I haven't drunk anything in months.
I have a spreadsheet that I keep in Google Drive / Docs and which is stored locally on every device I have. Page 1 is a list organised by types of wine. Pages 2 and onward are a representation of my cellar, with a page for each bin (wooden rack) or pile of cases, and a cell for each bottle-hole in the racks. I have found that keeping this up to date is much easier than using any app or web app.
Owen's method is also reliable.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I get an invoice from Seckford Wines once a year to tell me what I have in stock. I use my eyes and a failing memory to keep track of what is home.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Of what is home? You mean, where you have to go to at night? Hope the memory doesn't fail tonight.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:I get an invoice from Seckford Wines once a year to tell me what I have in stock. I use my eyes and a failing memory to keep track of what is home.
You live at Seckford's?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I missed out the word "at". Apologies for the confusion. I hope that clears things up for everyone.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:I missed out the word "at". Apologies for the confusion. I hope that clears things up for everyone.
Yes :lol:
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Andy Velebil wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Excel is not unusual.

a big +1. Been using it for many years and it works great. Their new phone app works just great. It also is the largest online data base for storing wines and user inputted wine notes (which I take with a grain of salt). Highly recommend
Also a big +1, consistently updated and improved over the last decade or so, no other database compares in the total package of apps, web based access, current user base (and therefore wines) integration of free and subscribed scores, as well as user reviews on wines, it's the whole kit and kaboodle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

If you are used to using excel, then I think you will find the lack of ability on the cellartracker management system to customise / filter / create formulas to be frustrating.

For instance, I cannot see on cellar tracker how you can easily sort to identify e.g.: every english-bottled bottle of 1970 port that you own (but this is easily done on Excel). Nor can I see how you would create a formula to calculate e.g.: how much it would cost you to remove all of your bonded bottles. But i must admit I haven't looked in a year or so.
Rob C.