Hello and opinions sought

Come and say hello.
Vintage1964
Cruz Ruby

Hello and opinions sought

Post by Vintage1964 »

Hi all,

I'm Marcus, an occasional port drinker.

I'm concerned that a bottle of Fonseca 1985 that I was given a year ago is going to get ruined lying on the kitchen floor...should I drink it now or will it be ok in a house where temperatures fluctuate between 6 Celsius on a winter's night to 28 Celsius on a hot summer day?

Also what I do want to open is a Graham's 1999 Quinta or a Warre's 1997....which one would people recommend I open now?

Cheers,

Marcus
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hello and opinions sought

Post by jdaw1 »

Opening a bottle of Fonseca 1985 is always a good plan. Just always, but even more so if you can’t store it properly.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi Marcus,

Welcome to :tpf:

Your Fonseca 1985 will not be ruined in that temperature range but it will evolve quicker than if it was stored at a stable temperature. If you want to hold onto it for some reason it would be a good idea to wrap it in something that will insulate it from day to day temperature fluctuations and put it in a cupboard in the centre of the house.

The Graham's 1999 will more than likely be more evolved and ready to drink than the Warre 1997 but both will benefit from a few more years in the bottle so no harm in keeping either of them.

Enjoy!

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

The warmest of welcomes and a happy new year!

I think the 97s are going through a bit of an awkward phase at the moment, so although I have not tried the 99 Graham thing I should probably start with that. But like Julian/jdaw1 I would find myself drawn to the Fonseca 85 on account of it being delicious.