1994 Tesco

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1994 Tesco

Post by LGTrotter »

I am a little fuzzy on detail, no doubt some of the old hands can put us straight if needed, but I assumed that in 1996 all the 94 is bottled. Then it is submitted for IDVP approval, being sold as whatever brand the company wants to put it out as. I rather think that Quarles Harris is the 'everything else' port, ie not Graham, Warre, Dow etc. which would mean that the port which has become Tesco 94 was originally going to be sold as Quarles Harris. One blend, many bottles; Quarles Harris.

I may have been drinking.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1994 Tesco

Post by djewesbury »

I think the complaints about the IVDP are overstated. Whenever there hasn't been a regulatory body it's been very bad for the trade. Which is exactly why Salazar, taking his inspiration from the man who first regulated the area, set up the IVDP. It's not really as complex as you make out.
Last edited by djewesbury on 22:35 Fri 05 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:I am a little fuzzy on detail, no doubt some of the old hands can put us straight if needed, but I assumed that in 1996 all the 94 is bottled. Then it is submitted for IDVP approval, being sold as whatever brand the company wants to put it out as. I rather think that Quarles Harris is the 'everything else' port, ie not Graham, Warre, Dow etc. which would mean that the port which has become Tesco 94 was originally going to be sold as Quarles Harris. One blend, many bottles; Quarles Harris.

No. SFE could submit as many blends as they like in 1996/97. Some of them will be known (Malvedos, eg) , others not. But when one is released, the IVDP are notified: Batch 7865 has become Tesco BOB 94. So why shouldn't there have been multiple blends sold as Tesco 94 over the years? I'm sure that's what's happened.

Why is this causing such protracted head scratching and confusion? I see it as quite straightforward.
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:
flash_uk wrote:
djewesbury wrote:But Tesco BOB was not sold as QH as far as I know. So the IVDP just had to approve it as a BOB blend.
But does that mean they approve a blend together with a "brand"/"shipper"?
No. They approve the blend and register the name.
But how could SFE have known in 1996 when bottling, that Tesco in 2005 would want some BOB?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Because they probably had a contract. Or else they knew that they'd sell it somewhere.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

And as I said, the name presumably doesn't have to be registered immediately. But once it's on the IVDP's books it needs to be registered with a name before it's sold.

Have you been at the F85?
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:I am a little fuzzy on detail, no doubt some of the old hands can put us straight if needed, but I assumed that in 1996 all the 94 is bottled. Then it is submitted for IDVP approval, being sold as whatever brand the company wants to put it out as. I rather think that Quarles Harris is the 'everything else' port, ie not Graham, Warre, Dow etc. which would mean that the port which has become Tesco 94 was originally going to be sold as Quarles Harris. One blend, many bottles; Quarles Harris.

No. SFE could submit as many blends as they like in 1996/97. Some of them will be known (Malvedos, eg) , others not. But when one is released, the IVDP are notified: Batch 7865 has become Tesco BOB 94. So why shouldn't there have been multiple blends sold as Tesco 94 over the years? I'm sure that's what's happened.

Why is this causing such protracted head scratching and confusion? I see it as quite straightforward.
Our posts crossed mid air. This now makes perfect sense to me, and confirms what I thought in the first place. SFE made lots of blends, bottled them, got them approved, when it came to release, they confirmed what it would be called. So Te94 could have been blend 124 in the first release in 2007 (say), blend 137 in the next release in 2009 (say). and so on. And it so happens that some of blend 124 (say) could have also been released as QH94.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

You got it!
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:Have you been at the F85?
Actually, I discovered still in the fridge the final quarter of a Graham's Crusted '98 that I opened last weekend and polished it off. Tasted really alright considering it's been open for 6 days.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk wrote:
djewesbury wrote:

Our posts crossed mid air. This now makes perfect sense to me, and confirms what I thought in the first place. SFE made lots of blends, bottled them, got them approved, when it came to release, they confirmed what it would be called. So Te94 could have been blend 124 in the first release in 2007 (say), blend 137 in the next release in 2009 (say). and so on. And it so happens that some of blend 124 (say) could have also been released as QH94.
djewesbury wrote:You got it!
Glenn, does this break or confirm your understanding of port? :D :D
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

My head scratching is caused by my assumption that SFE would have made a pretty limited number of blends. ie the number (more or less) of brands they have to sell. I am simply assuming that they would have made their main brands (Graham, Dow, Smith Wodehouse, Warre) and everything else would have gone into one big pot, all of which would be bottled up as Quarles Harris, tranches of which are released from time to time as Tesco, or QH or even Paxton and Whitfield 94. But not different blends.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

1994 Tesco

Post by djewesbury »

But they supply countless BOBs (all over the world) and they have many other 'bought in' labels - Smith Woodhouse, Gould Campbell, etc etc. Why would everything be labelled QH?
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It all sort of makes sense, I think. It would be lovely to actually know how it works.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I've just noticed that Owen lists Smith Woody as a 'main brand' and I listed it as a bought-in. SFE still list Quinta da Madalena and Quinta Val Coelho as 'belonging' to SW so I'm wrong on that one, I suppose. However the old SW website is no more. GC and QH don't even get listed on their SFE website any more.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Did I overhear someone saying that the Symingtons are no longer going to make a Gould Campbell? Or was it Quarles Harris? Perhaps both.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

It was Martinez wasn't it? But I wouldn't be surprised if the other names were quietly shelved.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

On finishing the most recent bottle of this I notice that the bottle rattles. There is a cork in the bottom. It has the most recent label and I am hoping that there may be brand on it to clear up once and for all what it was once upon a time. Too late to be breaking bottles tonight. I shall put it in a bag and bash it tomorrow.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Blimey. Having shone a torch down the neck and shaken it a bit the name on the cork is very clear; Warre, vintage 1994.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

LGTrotter wrote: 01:21 Tue 27 Feb 2018 Blimey. Having shone a torch down the neck and shaken it a bit the name on the cork is very clear; Warre, vintage 1994.
That is both very surprising and excellent news. Good find, well done. Tesco 94 can't really be W94 though, can it? I wonder what the Tesco 97 is.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

DaveRL wrote: 12:22 Tue 27 Feb 2018
LGTrotter wrote: 01:21 Tue 27 Feb 2018 Blimey. Having shone a torch down the neck and shaken it a bit the name on the cork is very clear; Warre, vintage 1994.
That is both very surprising and excellent news. Good find, well done. Tesco 94 can't really be W94 though, can it? I wonder what the Tesco 97 is.
I don’t think a W94 cork in the bottom of a bottle means it is W94 in the bottle. What is more puzzling to me is how a bottle ended up with a cork inside it, and then got filled and corked.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

What does the cork look like? Is it possible to tell whether it has been in the bottle for 20 years or only a few. It is odd to find a spare cork. I suppose it is possible that when recorking for Tesco the cork was accidentally pushed in.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DaveRL wrote: 12:22 Tue 27 Feb 2018
Thank-you, and the thought about the Tesco 97 was the next thing that went through my mind.
flash_uk wrote: 15:00 Tue 27 Feb 2018I don’t think a W94 cork in the bottom of a bottle means it is W94 in the bottle. What is more puzzling to me is how a bottle ended up with a cork inside it, and then got filled and corked.
True, finding a cork with 'Warre vintage 1994' embossed on it in a bottle of 1994 port doesn't mean it contains Warre 94, but equally it is rather suggestive.

And to me the most likely explanation is the one which I assumed and Dave suggests, i.e. it was the cork in the bottle and got pushed in when the bottle was recorked for Tesco. The cork looks darker at one end which is a bit of evidence in support of it being used on active service. I suppose it is possible that the bottle did not contain Warre 94 but some other port, but then how did the cork get in there? So I think that if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, it usually is a duck. Occam's razor and all that.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

image.jpg
image.jpg (175.52 KiB) Viewed 11344 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.98 KiB) Viewed 11344 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.59 KiB) Viewed 11344 times

I have some better photos of the cork in the bottle but it says the file is too large.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (191.26 KiB) Viewed 11344 times
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

image.jpg
image.jpg (90.92 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 11336 times
Due to the rubbishness of the camera on this iPad and the operator these are less than ideal. The the first picture shows '1994 vintage' the second shows the '1670' logo. I may try again, but I am reluctant to break the bottle to get the cork out. I might keep it as a trophy.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

My apologies for the photos being the wrong way round and upside down. In my defence they look the right way round on the iPad and all wrong on the laptop. I have no idea how to fix them.