Case Dow's 2011 Vintage Porto for Sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
wienkc
Cruz Ruby

Case Dow's 2011 Vintage Porto for Sale

Post by wienkc »

I have a case of Dow's 2011 Vintage Porto. It was recently rated Wine Spectator's 2014 #1 wine of the year. The wine appears to be "sold out" as far as I can tell. I've looked around a bit but cannot readily find it. Curious as to how much this wine might be worth in light of the most recent rating? Any insight would be appreciated.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Case Dow's 2011 Vintage Porto for Sale

Post by PhilW »

Dow 2011 is still fairly readily available for around £50-60 / bottle from reputable dealers at the moment; the Wine Spectator award is an interesting choice, given how young this is for a vintage port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

PhilW wrote:...the Wine Spectator award is an interesting choice, given how young this is for a vintage port.
Wine Spectator seems to look only at (relatively) new wines when making their selection. Back in 1997 they chose the Taylor and Fonseca 1994 ports as their joint top wines for the year.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
wienkc
Cruz Ruby

Post by wienkc »

Thanks, PhilW. I'm in the US and cannot find it here. Sounds like it's still readily available in the UK. I appreciate the feedback.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Winesearcher Pro lists 68 US dealers offering Dow 2011, including 3 listing it by the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
wienkc
Cruz Ruby

Post by wienkc »

OK. I'll have to subscribe to the Pro version.... Thanks. The "free" version only shows partial site listings and if you click through to order from the merchants that are listed (or call them), they are out of stock.

What's the Pro version listing the per bottle and per case price at right now?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

wienkc wrote:What's the Pro version listing the per bottle and per case price at right now?
It's still at release price, essentially. $80/bottle.

Though one crazy place in Colorado Springs claims to be selling it for $48/bottle... :roll:
(After clicking through, that's their price for a 375. Their price for a full 750 is a still very nice $70/bottle.)

Based on past experience, the Wine Spectator rating isn't likely to produce a sudden windfall. My guess is that retail for the Dow might climb as high as $100/bottle, but probably no higher. Wine Spectator's yearly rating isn't worth nearly as much as a 100 from Parker, even though that makes little sense.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Glenn E. wrote:Based on past experience, the Wine Spectator rating isn't likely to produce a sudden windfall. My guess is that retail for the Dow might climb as high as $100/bottle, but probably no higher.
Also, unless your stock is still in-bond, you should also expect to be selling at a significant discount compared to the retailer price to take into account the risks of private-buyer uncertainty (provenance, storage conditions, guarantees etc).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

wienkc wrote:I'm in the US
PhilW wrote:unless your stock is still in-bond
Is there such a thing as "in-bond" in the US?

As an aside, being in-bond is no guarantee that a case hasn't been in someone's hands, it simply means it hasn't been in someone's hands since entering the UK.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
No, not that I'm aware of. We don't have VAT, so there's no need to be able to hold something for which VAT has not yet been paid.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:
No, not that I'm aware of. We don't have VAT, so there's no need to be able to hold something for which VAT has not yet been paid.
Off-topic but it isn't only VAT but also Excise Duty that is paid when wine (etc) leaves bond. We have many ways to inflict pain.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

I live in New York. On Thursday Dow 2011 VP was retailing for 100 per bottle. On Friday it was retailing for over 200 per bottle at a few local wine shops. Every seller on ws pro under 110 per bottle is out of stock.
I purchased 6 cases on Wednesday/Thursday prior to announcement being made (paid up to 85 per bottle) via wine searcher pro. Out of the 6 cases which I purchased (paid for with debit card) 5 cases were canceled by 3 different retailers. Same reasoning from each--- inventory on website was incorrect/out-of-date.
Luckily I had 18 bottles in the cellar already (2011 is birth year of son) so I have 2.5 cases to lay down. Intentions are 6 bottles are for me to consume, 12 bottles are a gift for my son at his 21st birthday and 12 bottles are to be determined.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

And in a few weeks or months prices will be back to $100-120 per bottle lol. Oh, gotta love WS top 100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk