Bordeaux Recommendations

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Bordeaux Recommendations

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:The 1978s are rather lovely!
'The year of the miracle' as Harry Waugh said. The main miracle being that they managed to sell them. But seriously they haven't turned out too bad, from the few I've tried. Not sure many of them will still be going now.
Well since Justin viewed it as a public service that I take his 78s off his hands I obliged. Terrible, horrible, rancid juice. Don't know how I've managed it.
You had the 78 Giscours I think, which was nice ten years ago.
And the 78 Las Cases. Which was also nice.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:And the 78 Las Cases. Which was also nice.
Never had it, but like most Las Cases I would imagine that you are made to sit up straight and pay attention.
RPA
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by RPA »

In the latest twist of the En Primeur Ltd saga, this morning I received a call from Andrew Penman at the Daily Mirror, asking me to talk about my experience with this company. I was tempted to wax lyrical but my natural dislike for journalists (especially of the trashy tabloid variety) held me back.

Seems like this guy is in the right department though:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/authors/andrew-penman/

Presumably he got my name from the creditor register. I'm ahead of you in the alphabet Derek so you can probably expect a call soon...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Can't say I was too chuffed about having my personal data published without my consent and this is exactly why. I've already had junk mail from one company on the creditors list.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I suspect that this is an untested area of the application of the Data Protection Act and it's recent amendments. If you feel strongly, make a complaint via the Regulator's website. Complain about both the Administrator's publication of the data and also the marketing company's unauthorised use of it.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Wine Society daily drinking experiment. Didn't get round to this before, with being away.
Daniel J.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

I bought some of the Wine Society 2010 Pauillac at £19.95 or so. I vaguely remembered other vintages selling out rather quickly, and indeed this one did too. It had a recommended drinking window to 2025 (and they are conservative): longer than most, hence I felt it might be interesting. One day when I get some to hand I'll report.

More usefully perhaps, I today bought some Ch Montlandrie 2009 from Fine and Rare at £170+ a case, assuming they still have some left. It appears to have received reasonable reviews. This one more of a stab in the dark.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DaveRL wrote:from Fine and Rare at £170+ a case, assuming they still have some left.
Exactly why I don't order from them very often. Agonising about pulling the trigger followed by three weeks of silence and a (paraphrased) "sorry, we never had it in the first place" drives me nuts. There are too many good wine merchants around to have to use this shoddy service.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DaveRL wrote:I bought some of the Wine Society 2010 Pauillac at £19.95 or so. I vaguely remembered other vintages selling out rather quickly, and indeed this one did too. It had a recommended drinking window to 2025 (and they are conservative): longer than most, hence I felt it might be interesting. One day when I get some to hand I'll report.

More usefully perhaps, I today bought some Ch Montlandrie 2009 from Fine and Rare at £170+ a case, assuming they still have some left. It appears to have received reasonable reviews. This one more of a stab in the dark.
Exhibition Pauillac TN now posted.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DaveRL wrote:I bought some of the Wine Society 2010 Pauillac at £19.95 or so. I vaguely remembered other vintages selling out rather quickly, and indeed this one did too. It had a recommended drinking window to 2025 (and they are conservative): longer than most, hence I felt it might be interesting. One day when I get some to hand I'll report.
Good luck, I bought some of their 2005 Paulliac which was very good, but as hard as nails. I finished it all years ago, long before it was really ready. Ho-hum.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
DaveRL wrote:from Fine and Rare at £170+ a case, assuming they still have some left.
Exactly why I don't order from them very often. Agonising about pulling the trigger followed by three weeks of silence and a (paraphrased) "sorry, we never had it in the first place" drives me nuts. There are too many good wine merchants around to have to use this shoddy service.
I see somebody on :ftlop2014: was recommending them for a place to buy while on holiday. Sounds like they might need to be on holiday for some months to get a delivery.
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

LGTrotter wrote:
Good luck, I bought some of their 2005 Paulliac which was very good, but as hard as nails. I finished it all years ago, long before it was really ready. Ho-hum.
Hmm. I expected 2010 to need some time. Perhaps a lot of time then. :o
LGTrotter wrote:
DRT wrote:
I see somebody on :ftlop2014: was recommending them for a place to buy while on holiday. Sounds like they might need to be on holiday for some months to get a delivery.
F+R had been OK so far. Have not had a reply this time - downside is uncertainty, upside is free storage and I haven't paid. Not ideal, no. Perhaps I'll try cancelling this one.

Seckford Wines (James) I've found excellent. Had an issue recently, and all resolved most admirably. Exactly what I'd hoped.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

The Exhibition Pauillac (bottled by Rothschild) is 2006 not 2010. Rather lovely right now.
Daniel J.
DaveRL

Post by DaveRL »

I thought it was a Wine Society declassified wine I bought. I dug into the website. It is not. It is Ulysse Pauillac 2010 , sold through the Wine Society via their "special relationship". Sorry for the mistake. Declassified Latour supposedly. I'm never sure about these sorts of wines, often seeming to be produced in rather too large an amount to be other than marketing guff, but this one sells out fast, has a reasonable reputation on CellerTracker, and the Wine Society is, well, what it is I suppose. They gave it an excellent write up. Even if it is declassified, it will be the extra lots that didn't fit in the blend for some reason, warts and all, but perhaps these have worth if they have balance. Perhaps I've been burnt (again).
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

The 2005 Malescasse is quite a good everyday claret:
http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8959
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

In their current weekly advertisement brochure, Lidl present a wide range of French wines. You can find it online here: http://www.lidl-pageflip.com/debm.html?kid=9ZvHQv
Besides some Cru Bourgeois wines they offer half bottles of 1998 Château d'Yquem in their online wineshop:
http://www.lidl.de/de/sauternes-grand-c ... yquem-1998
That's not the Lidl I used to know. I wonder what D'Yquem will think of this unusual retailer.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

My local Lidl has 2008 Sociando Mallet for £25.99. I churlishly find this overpriced for Lidl.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Added to the Seckfords stash yesterday for the extortionate sum of £125 IB...
1995 Chateaux Charlemagne (Canon Fronsac).JPG
1995 Chateaux Charlemagne (Canon Fronsac).JPG (12.43 KiB) Viewed 6533 times
Will be extracted sooner rather than later for current drinking.
The first bottle from this case opened this evening.

A nice, rich, mature red colour. Lots of dark fruit on the nose and the palate. Very round, smooth and full in the mouth. The finish is of medium length and still has quite a bit of tannin. This wine is not complicated in any way but is very pleasant and still has lots of life about it. A splendid purchase at this price.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:A nice, rich, mature red colour. Lots of dark fruit on the nose and the palate. Very round, smooth and full in the mouth. The finish is of medium length and still has quite a bit of tannin. This wine is not complicated in any way but is very pleasant and still has lots of life about it. A splendid purchase at this price.
Always a good feeling to have found a bargain, the 95s are better than their reputation but Canon Fronsac I have been unlucky with. Seckfords do seem to turn up some bargains.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I just bagged an unopened OWC of Chateau Gloria 1985 for £400 all in 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I need a cheap Bordeaux scout - no, I need a scout for cheap Bordeaux. Any volunteers? Thought not.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:I just bagged an unopened OWC of Chateau Gloria 1985 for £400 all in 88)
This morning the merchant wrote:Derek,

I have just opened the case.

The contents were something of a surprise!

Only four bottles of Gloria 1985 plus sundry other bottles and an old school blanket!
Refund incoming.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Ouch
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have gone off-piste and ordered a case of La Rioja Alta from the :ws: - 6x Viña Arana Reserva 2005 and 6x 904 Gran Reserve 2001.

Yummy.
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:I have gone off-piste and ordered a case of La Rioja Alta from the :ws: - 6x Viña Arana Reserva 2005 and 6x 904 Gran Reserve 2001.

Yummy.
Hurray! Room for a bit of everything. And as you have said before if you decide you don't like it, you can flog it.

I must say I have paced up and down fretfully wondering if my life would be complete without the 904 Gran thingy. So far I am coping without it. It is a good price though.