2014 pre-Harvest Tour tasting, London, 9/23

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: 2014 pre-Harvest Tour tasting, London, 9/23

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:OK, a G85 will be with us on the night, but I will only be arriving in the afternoon - can I send this to someone who might be able to decant in the morning? Mike? Ian?
Sure no problem. Are you shipping it from Belfast or buying online?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:
djewesbury wrote:OK, a G85 will be with us on the night, but I will only be arriving in the afternoon - can I send this to someone who might be able to decant in the morning? Mike? Ian?
Sure no problem. Are you shipping it from Belfast or buying online?
Buying online from Roberson's in Kensington - do you want to PM yer address and I'll have it sent straight to you.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

First post updated. Looks like a grand time! :D
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:I have only been there once and did not assess its suitability as a tasting venue.
I am happy to wander over sometime this week to speak to them and take a look at the room.
Will report back soon.
Derek - have you been able to drop by?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Sorry, not yet. I have a relatively empty diary tomorrow so will try to pop over.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Having seriously considered the implications for all of four minutes I have placed an appointment in my diary entitled "Lunch at Davy's" for tomorrow. Full review of accommodation, service, food, gymnastic potential and general aesthetic merits to follow...
Ernest H. Cockburn
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

DRT wrote:Having seriously considered the implications for all of four minutes I have placed an appointment in my diary entitled "Lunch at Davy's" for tomorrow. Full review of accommodation, service, food, gymnastic potential and general aesthetic merits to follow...
Thank you. Will you go undercover (floppy hat, large, dark sunglasses, newspaper with two peepholes in it) on your recon mission? :lol:
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AW77 wrote:
DRT wrote:Having seriously considered the implications for all of four minutes I have placed an appointment in my diary entitled "Lunch at Davy's" for tomorrow. Full review of accommodation, service, food, gymnastic potential and general aesthetic merits to follow...
Thank you. Will you go undercover (floppy hat, large, dark sunglasses, newspaper with two peepholes in it) on your recon mission? :lol:
I might even disguise myself as a Chef to explore the inner sanctum :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I visited Davy's Woolgate Exchange today and spoke to the manager, Simon.

They are very happy to host us and appear to have all the facilities we require. There are small booth style tables in the main restaurant that seat four people, a larger booth that would seat six, a Boardroom that would seat ten and a large basement room that would easily take two tables of 14, so could perhaps have a drinking table and an eating table for a large tasting.

I did not eat there today but had a look at the menu. Normal Davy's fayre with an emphasis on dead cows.

A booking of the very large room normally attracts a £500 minimum spend, which Simon agreed to wave on the basis that we eat a two or three course meal and are regular Davy's customers.

The restaurant is very clean, spacious and all rooms have air conditioning that can be controlled separately. There is background music. This can be turned down or off in the Boardroom or large basement room but not in the main restaurant.

There seemed to be lots of staff, all of whom appeared to be friendly and helpful. Julian, the answer to your question is yes.

I made a provisional booking for the Boardroom for this tasting in Phil's name. Phil, can you please call Simon and either cancel or confirm that booking?

Finally, Simon's father is a Port fan and works in the City. He is going to pass our details on and suspects we will see his father here or at a tasting.
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Excellent recce Derek - many thanks. Seems like a winner. And of course, we can all now ponder what question Julian asked - I have an inkling...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Splendid, thank you for the most excellent recon Derek. This sounds like the perfect replacement for TBH for this tasting.

Since we are 9 the Boardroom is probably sufficient, though the larger basement room is appealing for the reasons Derek mentioned. I will certainly eat a 2 or 3 course meal if others would like to move to the basement in order to have more room and a separate table for eating. I know that when we do the ACPT tastings in New York, having room for the food on our Port tasting table is always an issue. Silly restaurants, always wanting to take up Port glasses space with plates and utensils and the like. Is there a circle for a dinner plate on my placemat? No? Then where do you propose we place this extraneous dinner plate? But I digress.

Yes. Dead cow is good. Davy's Woolgate Exchange sounds great.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:I made a provisional booking for the Boardroom for this tasting in Phil's name. Phil, can you please call Simon and either cancel or confirm that booking?
Thanks for checking it out for us Derek, this all sounds excellent. I just called, but did not get an answer (they must be busy) but will try again later/tomorrow and confirm the booking (have guests arriving with us imminently). Cheers - Phil.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Julian, the answer to your question is yes.
As I was reading, I was thinking, “should I report that?” Done.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Glenn E. wrote: Since we are 9 the Boardroom is probably sufficient, though the larger basement room is appealing for the reasons Derek mentioned. I will certainly eat a 2 or 3 course meal if others would like to move to the basement in order to have more room and a separate table for eating.
I will eat at least a 2 course meal, so it would be ok for me to move to the bigger room. But the smaller one would be ok for me, too.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

To give some perspective, the "bigger room" is approximately four or five times the floor area of the room we normally occupy at THB.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I think the boardroom would be fine for us on this occasion, as per the provisional booking you have made. The larger room sounds like it could be ideal for our larger tastings though, when there are 14 or so of us (e.g. Mz vertical, currently booked at TBH in November). Let us see how it goes at Woolgate on the 23rd first.

Davy's t Woolgate place sounds like it could be a good alternative venue, the answer to Julian's question being a well-received bonus. I did assume that the offer was to waive the fee, vs to wave it in our faces if we wanted to book ;) The only thing you haven't mentioned is glassware, which I imagine will be fine but I will check when I call Simon today to confirm. Thanks again for doing the recce Derek :tpf:
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:Excellent recce Derek - many thanks. Seems like a winner. And of course, we can all now ponder what question Julian asked - I have an inkling...
Please get it seen to and don't inkle all over the place on the 23rd. We want to be asked back. For Julian's sake. His aesthetic survey is nowhere near complete.
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:The only thing you haven't mentioned is glassware, which I imagine will be fine but I will check when I call Simon today to confirm. Thanks again for doing the recce Derek :tpf:
Booking confirmed, and they now have my contact details against it. Glasses no problem, and I have currently asked for 120 (9 people, 10-12 bottles plus spares).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I did discuss glasses with Simon and he was aware of our needs. He has often supplied glasses to TBH for some group of nutters who seem to need hundreds of them on a regular basis.
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

DRT wrote:He has often supplied glasses to TBH for some group of nutters who seem to need hundreds of them on a regular basis.
:D :tpf: :D
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Thanks to Mrs Flash for receiving delivery of my G85 today. May the circle be unbroken!
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:Thanks to Mrs Flash for receiving delivery of my G85 today. May the circle be unbroken!
Yeah she got a bit of a shock! Mrs Flash was in the back garden. Flash junior, aged 4, wanders out, "Mummy the doorbell went, so I opened the front door." Mrs Flash rushes to the front door to find a slightly confused courier chap waiting :)
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Thanks to Mrs Flash for receiving delivery of my G85 today. May the circle be unbroken!
Yeah she got a bit of a shock! Mrs Flash was in the back garden. Flash junior, aged 4, wanders out, "Mummy the doorbell went, so I opened the front door." Mrs Flash rushes to the front door to find a slightly confused courier chap waiting :)
Excellent! The whole Family Flash enjoying the goodness of G85 - and Stefan the courier wondering what was going on. I think they should all be invited to the tasting!
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote: Excellent! The whole Family Flash enjoying the goodness of G85
That would be true, were it not that Roberson have packaged and shipped a Warre 85...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:
djewesbury wrote: Excellent! The whole Family Flash enjoying the goodness of G85
That would be true, were it not that Roberson have packaged and shipped a Warre 85...
What?? Really???
Daniel J.