1984 Warre's Late Bottle Vintage - 2 bottles for sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
LEONELGRACA
Cruz Ruby

1984 Warre's Late Bottle Vintage - 2 bottles for sale

Post by LEONELGRACA »

I have in my posession these two charming bottles.

They were offered to me as a christmas gift on two consequent years, in mid 2000's. Purchased in one of the Best wine shops in Leiria Area, Portugal (I do not remember the name).

They were stored inside that wooden box you see in the pic, inside a closet, on an empty office room in Marinha Grande, say 15 in the winter, and 22 tops in the summer.

Then, for 4 or 5 years, I had them in a closet at my flat in Leiria (30km from the atlantic ocean). The place was mostly unhabited, they were resting I doubt it they ever reached 20ºC.

For the last 4 years, I moved to Tomar, a bit more inland. The bottles were in the coldest room of a villa (actually so cold nobody wanted to sleep there) It was the north and west corner room, too cold. Usually some 15 or 16ºC most of the winter, maybe 20ºC in the summer. Rarely peaks to 22 or 23.

For the last two weeks, I had to moove them to a loft, where we have AC, and they are stored at 22ºC. Not the best location, but an alcoholic relative-in law would drink them if I keep them in the basement...

I understand these bottles have reached a value of 73€+VAT in Europe and am willing to accept an offer. I can deliver them by hand between Oporto and Lisbon, for a small fee.

My warranty goes for accepting the full bottle return and full money back, if you try it and its not ok (which I doubt very much). For this, the bottle would have to be opened in front of me, or with trustworthy witnesses.

I will accept an offer for both bottles or single. I will of course prefer to sell them both, and locally, but am willing to accept other offers.

I dont do this for a living, but I have a huge amount of Wodka and red wine, and rarely drink anymore. This is an opportunity for enthusiasts to enjoy a great year, a great vintage, as you will appreciate it more then I would, so consider this a win/win opportunity.

Forgive if this was too much information, but I trust you will value detailed information.
LEONELGRACA
Cruz Ruby

Re: 1984 Warre's Late Bottle Vintage - 2 bottles for sale

Post by LEONELGRACA »

And yes, they have been horizontally stored, all this in Portugal.

But in case you fear the wine is not in perfect condition, I offer the return warranty, as a quality insurance.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you for an excellent description of excellent Port.

Warre 1984 LBV is very fine: I have drunk about two dozen over the last few years.

But there are several problems:
• My two dozen were bought much more cheaply than you are suggesting. Others also bought some at the same time, and probably have stock remaining.
• Most of us live in the UK, or Germany, or the USA.

Have you considered using them as (generous) presents? Birthday or Christmas?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:My two dozen were bought much more cheaply than you are suggesting. Others also bought some at the same time, and probably have stock remaining.
I have 12 bottles remaining. Those 12 bottles cost me roughly what you say 2 bottles are worth. That is a bit of a problem.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:My two dozen were bought much more cheaply than you are suggesting. Others also bought some at the same time, and probably have stock remaining.
I have 12 bottles remaining. Those 12 bottles cost me roughly what you say 2 bottles are worth. That is a bit of a problem.
You're just showing off, knowing that neither you nor anybody else will see it at that price again. I would hasten to add that the pricing does seem a bit excitable.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

LGTrotter wrote:You're just showing off
Now now, don't be bitter.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
LEONELGRACA
Cruz Ruby

Post by LEONELGRACA »

Hi all, thanks for your comments
jdaw1 wrote: Thank you for an excellent description of excellent Port.
But there are several problems:
• My two dozen were bought much more cheaply than you are suggesting. Others also bought some at the same time, and probably have stock remaining.
Well maybe you bought them 3 years ago, when they were worth 25? Time has past, not sure that stock is remaining. And if it is, that would probably be the minimum price. I did not settle the price, I found it here:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-5865- ... t-portugal
jdaw1 wrote: • Most of us live in the UK, or Germany, or the USA.
That might not be a problem. Just not as easy to ensure the return and money warranty. Postage should cost about 10€ each, I believe. Of course that it would be quite interesting to find someone local. I also travel on occasion to London. I was there just in June, might be there in a couple of months on my way to Aberdeen. But I am guessing its not worth the trouble to fetch it at Stansted, unless some of you would be a big enthusiast of 1984 LBV, which allegedly was a nice year, hence the market value.
jdaw1 wrote: Have you considered using them as (generous) presents? Birthday or Christmas?
A 70 to 100€ present is really not what I can afford right now. Unless someone gets me a position or internship in O&G at Aberdeen or Norway, LOL.
I would rather drink it, which is what I did with a 3rd one I had some 5 or 6 years ago. But enjoying a 70+tax port same way as I would a 20€ port wine is a bit of a waste. And I hate that kind of waste. Imagine me carefully bringing some very very nice red wine I brought from the best wineseller in my region, with 4 or 5 silver and god prizes, to offer an Norwegian friend and have him storing the wine in a freezer to drink it chilled (because most norwegians have no clue how to enjoy wine). This was an expensive bottle, that I only offer to business partners because I buy them bulk and he enjoyed it as if it was a 1,5€ table wine or sangria...

I never saved them for investment. They just laid there, waiting for a present opportunity or a nice celebration with someone worth enjoying it.

A couple of years ago I researched the value of them, and it was worth just some 30 or 40€ so I kept thinking about drinking it someday.
Same way I have some bottles that became rare from an extinct wineseller from my hometown. Unlike a lot of stuff that I had stored and devalued, this valued nicely. But I checked their value again this week,just by chance when moving them one floor up.

If they are worth what that website claims, and not that other years are worth a less, quite less, then it might be an opportunity to someone.

I would also feel very bad if someone purchased them and the wine was not ok. Its my professional and personal value that would be in stake...

So you guys think that price is overrated? (yes, I read that other text about value and them being worth half retail price).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

LEONELGRACA wrote:A 70 to 100€ present is really not what I can afford right now.
If you can find somebody willing to pay full-whack retail for these, then giving them away would deprive you of €70. But if you can’t (and you are very unlikely to find somebody willing to pay that), then giving them away costs whatever you want to pretend it costs.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

They sell for about $35-45 at auction here in the states. A far cry from the listed price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

These are very nice ports which are drinking well at the moment. I had one recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

These come up at auction In the UK from time to time. I would expect to see them auction for £20-25 (€25-30). After auction fees this would net the seller £15-20. If you found a UK buyer, it is likely to be at a price similar to this - including postage!

You might be lucky this year and find someone who was born in 1984 and likes the idea of celebrating their 30th birthday with a 30 year old wine. Have you considered selling via eBay?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
robertgeorgey
Cruz Ruby

Post by robertgeorgey »

I did some research myself and the price of 70 Euro does seem a bit steep. It is available for about between 30 to 40 Euros in different places.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

robertgeorgey wrote:I did some research myself and the price of 70 Euro does seem a bit steep. It is available for about between 30 to 40 Euros in different places.
Assuming you're not the original seller, then welcome to :tpf: but please note that the offer made by the original poster in this thread was a couple of years ago (so these may have been sold/drunk and information out of date).