Adriano Ramos Pinto

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
james_rider
Cruz Ruby

Adriano Ramos Pinto

Post by james_rider »

Hello everyone.

I have 6-8 bottles of 1982 vintage Adriano Ramos Pinto that was given to me as a present growing up. It's been kept well and has only moved once in around 20 years. From some googling i've seen it's selling at around £65/70 a bottle. Does that sound right?

Also where is the best place to sell it?

Thanks,

Jim
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Adriano Ramos Pinto

Post by jdaw1 »

Hello and welcome to :tpf:.

That is a very optimistic price. Low-ranking 1982s are obtainable at £40-45. Further, vendors, whether selling to retailers or by auction, tend to net half the retail price. (More explanation in our Standard advice to would-be vendors.)

Given that, do you really want to sell? Have you considered keeping and drinking? Or giving to friends who would appreciate them?
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

james_rider wrote:I have 6-8 bottles of 1982 vintage Adriano Ramos Pinto that was given to me as a present growing up. It's been kept well and has only moved once in around 20 years. From some googling i've seen it's selling at around £65/70 a bottle. Does that sound right?
Hi Jim, and welcome to :tpf:

To add a little to what Julian has said - RP85 (a better year) is obtainable for between £45-70 from retailers for single bottles; RP82 I can see around for ~£50 for individual bottles, and would expect that to drop slightly for 6+, so around £45 as a retail price. As Julian says, however, you should not expect to be able to sell your port privately for retail amounts; around 50% of retail is a reasonable guideline, so I would expect you to be able to get somewhere around £130-150 for six bottles (whether selling to a retailer, auction house, or privately). Julian's link to our standard advice contains further useful information on the options and potential places to sell.
james_rider
Cruz Ruby

Post by james_rider »

So here's what i've got (See attached).

5 bottles of 82 Adriano Ramos Pinto
1 bottle of 85 Adriano Ramos Pinto
1 bottle of 85 Souza
1 bottle of 83 Delaforce

What do you reckon price wise and where should i sell?

Really appreciate the help!

Jim
Attachments
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG (149.25 KiB) Viewed 6028 times
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Only the Souza is a Vintage Port - the others are all LBVs, which are usually worth significantly less than VP. Old LBVs are somewhat rare, though, so you might get more for an '82 than you would for a current release.

In the US, at least, LBVs typically sell for $20-$30 while VPs typically sell for $60-$90 for current releases.
Glenn Elliott
james_rider
Cruz Ruby

Post by james_rider »

Ah ok, that's helpful to know. Thanks Glenn!

Where's the best place to sell it?
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

james_rider wrote:Ah ok, that's helpful to know. Thanks Glenn!

Where's the best place to sell it?
That would depend where you are located, US or UK? Or elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

james_rider wrote:Where's the best place to sell it?
The bottles are worth less than the cost of professional transport. Perhaps the member of :tpf: who lives nearest you could be persuaded to part with £100 for them. Where are you located?

Or, even better, drink them yourself. Those that aren’t drinkable can go in the Bolognese sauce.
james_rider
Cruz Ruby

Post by james_rider »

I'm in Central London, UK.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

You started this conversation quoting “£65/70 a bottle”. We have cited much much lower numbers. If the numbers cited are just far too low, do drink them.

But if you are set against that, take the best price, and I can take possession of them and later transfer to the purchaser. (I’m in Streatham.) My bid of £100 for the lot is not generous, but nor is much below the likely best price.

So do consider drinking them; failing which, invite best bids.