Port for sale

Port to sell? Excellent! Please post here, with details of what you have, how stored, and where in the world it is. Please start by reading our ‘Standard advice to would-be vendors' and ‘A note to wine merchants’.
vocalist
Cruz Ruby

Port for sale

Post by vocalist »

Hi,
My mum has given two bottles of port to sell which were purchased by my dad around the bottle dates. He died in 2011 and no-one else in the family drink port. He always kept the Sandeman in a covered rack and the Barros in it's box on it's side in the dining room (coolest room in the house). They have both been kept on their side since bringing them home where they have been kept on their side covered by a towel in the living room (heating hasn't worked here for several years!). I live in Enfield, Middx, UK - feel free to contact me with queries/offer on vocalistuk (@) yahoo.co.uk

Sandeman Vintage Port 1963
Porto Barros 1994

PORTO BARROS 1994

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Port for sale

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you for the excellent post with lots of good information. I don’t need either bottle, but others might.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Retail pricing: Fine+Rare has the Sandeman 1963 at £112. So you ought to achieve about £56.

That Barros 1994 is rarer, but much less valuable. We have bought top-rank 1994s at £40 a bottle (thread), and Barros is third or fourth rank. Maybe £20, at a push.

Have you considered drinking the Port? A toast or few to your late father? By the time you have found a purchaser, and transported bottles to the purchaser, it isn’t worth it. Do consider drinking them.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I agree with jdaw1's advice.

As you live inside the M25 you are only a short train ride from our usual Port tasting venue in Holborn. You could consider using the bottles as tickets to attend a couple of tastings where you could sample a number of different Ports and decide whether or not you enjoy it.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:our usual Port tasting venue in Holborn.
The Bung Hole (57 High Holborn, London WC1V 6DT, tel +44 20 7831 8365, streetmap.co.uk, maps.google.co.uk).

Often enough we have a tasting with a theme of “Bring a Bottle to Share”. Either or both would fit.
vocalist
Cruz Ruby

Post by vocalist »

Thank you for the responses, invite and advice, however, no-one else in the family likes Port so it would not be appreciated and we are sure that is what Dad would have wanted. Mum still has a couple of bottles of his other favourite tipples which she is keeping for special occassions.