Tue 03 June 2014, Oscar Quevedo in London

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Re: Tue 03 June 2014, Oscar Quevedo in London

Post by idj123 »

Sounds like we're well short then-we need to up our game!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

idj123 wrote:Sounds like we're well short then-we need to up our game!
Take charge. I’m quite willing to change authorship of the first post to you, and you do stuff. Take charge!
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:Tentative, pending approval; would need to adopt.
Permission granted, attendance confirmed.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Logistics: I'm unlikely to be in London again before this date; I could potentially obtain another '58 from elsewhere, but could not then easily arrange for it to be at TBH in advance - I could decant on the day and bring, but that doesn't help with keeping things blind. In order to keep to the plan, therefore, it could make more sense for me to adopt; perhaps the Delaforce from Wolfgang, if that would be acceptable, please? (I'm assuming per first post and thread that the Noval is coming from IDJ for JDAW, and AHB bringing the W58, so this would only be the second bottle from Wolgang, thereby avoiding white-washing your '58s).
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

PhilW wrote:Logistics: I'm unlikely to be in London again before this date; I could potentially obtain another '58 from elsewhere, but could not then easily arrange for it to be at TBH in advance - I could decant on the day and bring, but that doesn't help with keeping things blind. In order to keep to the plan, therefore, it could make more sense for me to adopt; perhaps the Delaforce from Wolfgang, if that would be acceptable, please? (I'm assuming per first post and thread that the Noval is coming from IDJ for JDAW, and AHB bringing the W58, so this would only be the second bottle from Wolgang, thereby avoiding white-washing your '58s).
Would be OK, but after speaking to uncle Tom I think variety of port will not be a problem. JDAWs post about declarations reminded me of a good stash of Royal Oporto RAYC has aquired a year or so back and still has some or uncle Tom. Since I have not had the Calem da Foz I hope to lure one bt of that out of uncle Tom. If we can get hold of a bt of Sandeman that would be also great.
So all in hand and do not worry.
:)
With regards to timing I have at the moment in mind an opening session ~ 2:30 - 3:00 PM in the Bunghole in mind which we then double decant ~ 6:00PM. Since we will have quite a few bts help would be good to have at hand ~5:30 PM in order to get the double decanting done. I hope the solution to be a thirsty JDAW turning up early with similar looking empty clean bts for the blind tasting. Obviously we will have something on the side to make decanting more fun. :wink:
If we have all ports there standing up a week in advance all should be fine.

OK?

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Wolfgang: please accept command of Port Sourcing. Placemats will follow your guidance. I have changed the authorship of the first post, so that you can now edit it. Please keep it ship-shape. And don’t forget that RAYC is on a bicycle in the USA.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

WS1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:perhaps the Delaforce from Wolfgang, if that would be acceptable, please?
Would be OK, but after speaking to uncle Tom I think variety of port will not be a problem.
So all in hand and do not worry.
Thank you; I leave this in your capable hands. I do not know whether it will be possible for me to attend earlier to assist with decant for this tasting; due to work issues I am unlikely to know until just before.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Are we definitely going blind on this? I'm interested to see how they taste, and differ, and will be more interested in "so the '58 Dow is like this, the '58 Warre is like that..." than in guessing which is which. If we do do it blind, could people still please bring the bottles, as some will be quite unusual, and they would be interesting to see and photo?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Are we definitely going blind on this? I'm interested to see how they taste, and differ, and will be more interested in "so the '58 Dow is like this, the '58 Warre is like that..." than in guessing which is which. If we do do it blind, could people still please bring the bottles, as some will be quite unusual, and they would be interesting to see and photo?
I think that you are completely correct. I have no prejudice about whether Dow 1958 is better — obviously better — that Warre 1958. Or worse — obviously worse.

But the initiator of the event, doing double duty as industry guest, wants blind. PM him and make representations.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:Are we definitely going blind on this? I'm interested to see how they taste, and differ, and will be more interested in "so the '58 Dow is like this, the '58 Warre is like that..." than in guessing which is which. If we do do it blind, could people still please bring the bottles, as some will be quite unusual, and they would be interesting to see and photo?
I think that you are completely correct. I have no prejudice about whether Dow 1958 is better — obviously better — that Warre 1958. Or worse — obviously worse.

But the initiator of the event, doing double duty as industry guest, wants blind. PM him and make representations.
I think blind is better since it makes it more interesting :wink: :lol:

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Wolfgang: please accept command of Port Sourcing. Placemats will follow your guidance. I have changed the authorship of the first post, so that you can now edit it. Please keep it ship-shape. And don’t forget that RAYC is on a bicycle in the USA.
Accepted and done. Tom will join us on the 3rd of June; so we will be 8 people. Have also raided a bit his cellar for interesting 58s. Will bring 4bts (Constantino, Martinez, Delaforce and Burmester) over the course of next week to the Bunghole so they can rest (standing up). Can please bring AHB and IDJ their ports in advance to the Bunghole for resting as well? Please let me know if this is feasible.

Plan is to open them in the morning of the day of the tasting and double decant them ~ late lunch time into identical bts in order to make the blind theme. I am planning to take the afternoon off if I can and do the honors with uncle tom and you if you have time.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Of the now proposed line up I had the Warre 58 and Martinez 58 I think 3 times and the Dow 58 and Delaforce 58 at least once before, so I am interested to see them blind. I have not had the Noval, Burmester or Constantino so far, so I am keen to see.

regards

WS1
Last edited by WS1 on 10:21 Sat 17 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Twain
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I should be able to get my Warre to TBH before June 3, I'll have to check my diary and stock list to see where it is. If I find any other '58s not already in the tasting I might bring one of those as well.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

AHB wrote:I should be able to get my Warre to TBH before June 3, I'll have to check my diary and stock list to see where it is. If I find any other '58s not already in the might bring one of those as well.
cool; am currently thinking of sneaking in a pirate :wink:

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Wolfgang, alas, I am unlikely to be able to deposit my bottles at TBH prior to 3 June as I'm not up in town next week and the week after I am on hols. I don't know how this impacts on proceedings but it looks as though my offerings will have to endure a longer double decant time (7am) than the others. Sorry 'bout that.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If anyone will be in Paris, Hamburg or the Benelux next week and able to pick up a bottle of FG58 for our tasting, please let me know. I have been given an offer to trade so that we can include the FG in our line-up provided someone is able to be in the right place at the right time to collect the bottle.

WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

AHB wrote:If anyone will be in Paris, Hamburg or the Benelux next week and able to pick up a bottle of FG58 for our tasting, please let me know. I have been given an offer to trade so that we can include the FG in our line-up provided someone is able to be in the right place at the right time to collect the bottle.
I am in Frankfurt Wednesday next week; gues this is not close enough
Mark Twain
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm the one who offered the bottle for trade. Unfortunately Frankfurt will not be possible.

I will have 2 business trips next week:
Monday / Tuesday : Paris
Thursday / Friday : Hamburg

As I live in the Netherlands, I will do both by car. This means that any town between s-Hertogenbosch and Hamburg/Paris would be possible. A small detour is also not a problem.

rgrds,
Dries
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Paris might be possible, you handing it to an in-law who will pass it on.

Checking: I will report back.

Please PM me your most convenient location in Paris.
SCP-DFF
Taylor’s LBV

Post by SCP-DFF »

I will be in Paris from 28th - 31st May. Can pick up then.

-Mrs JDAW, AKA SCP-DFF and Streatham.
SCP-DFF
Taylor’s LBV

Post by SCP-DFF »

Sorry, just realised it'll be next week when you're in Paris. Could you possibly leave it at the hotel? I can pick up when I get to Paris? Or, you can drop it off at my sister's who lives in the 1er arrondissement, dead center Paris.

-SCP-DFF
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Post by oscar quevedo »

WS1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:

I think blind is better since it makes it more interesting :wink: :lol:

regards

WS1
Good to see some support from WS1 for the blind tasting :D I truly believe that we will all learn more with a blind tasting. Our senses will be more awake.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

SCP-DFF wrote:Sorry, just realised it'll be next week when you're in Paris. Could you possibly leave it at the hotel? I can pick up when I get to Paris? Or, you can drop it off at my sister's who lives in the 1er arrondissement, dead center Paris.

-SCP-DFF
Dropping it off at your sister is probably the most convenient. I never stayed in this hotel before so do not want to take the risk. Can you PM me the adress?

Dries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Gosh! I never expected so much positive reaction. Thank you Dries and MaryAnne.

Dries - I'll PM you with some thoughts on how to get the trade bottle over to you.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have a bottle of Vargellas 1958 accessible - this is my only bottle of Vargellas 1958. Should I keep the bottle for a future Vargellas vertical or should I contribute it to this tasting?