Free epub-version of the Illustrated Douro

Data, quotations, and other non-conversational posts containing reference materials.
ewust
Cheap Ruby

Free epub-version of the Illustrated Douro

Post by ewust »

The Illustrated Douro was published in 1876 by the Viscount of Villa Maior, describing in Portuguese, French and English, the wine district, its principal vineyards and the people and methods involved in the production, storage and trade of Port-wine. The publication included 25 engravings and a map based on the survey of Baron the Forrester.

An accurate reproduction in e-pub format, containing the English text, engravings and map can be downloaded here. I hope you enjoy the reading as much as I did, reproducing this important work.

Eugène Wüst
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Free epub-version of the Illustrated Douro

Post by PhilW »

Thank you for making this available, and letting us know of it; From a very quick scan, it looks like it should be a good read, with some interesting detail such as the sections on soil variation and production costs.

For anyone else unfamiliar with the .epub format and downloading to a desktop machine, Adobe do a free reader for Mac/Windows called "Adobe Digital Editions" (there are several other readers also, I tried this as from a relatively trusted source, and it seems to work fine).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you for doing this. An interesting read awaits.

For those having trouble finding the download link (as I did), it is in the middle of the page (or at members.ziggo.nl/eajwust/publiek/IllustratedDouro.epub).
ewust
Cheap Ruby

Post by ewust »

Thanks jdaw1. The download link is more visible now.
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Post by christopherpfaff »

Congratulations Eus! very goog work indeed!
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de