Graham 1980 case study - Wednesday 2nd April 2014

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Re: Graham 1980 case study - Wednesday 2nd April 2014

Post by PopulusTremula »

AHB wrote:I have port which meets the criteria for additional port. I am unclear whether I should bring a bottle. Could someone clarify for me whether this is required?
Your offer is noted and much appreciated. However, currently we stand at an equal amount of bottles to participants. In the spirit of lent we should try and go about our daily business in a frugal manner and refrain from excess. Therefore, one bottle per person will have to suffice, hardship for which we will be amply rewarded in the afterlife. As it stands now you do not have to bring anything but please keep the bottle handy if MPM or CPR are forced to bow out with short notice.

Thanks
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Magnus: your eloquent reply is delightful, but wrong. ThePortForum is not Lentful, indeed is much closer to the opposite. And not all of us are piously practising Christians (e.g., not me). So please could I, acting as a Amicus Curia, urge a different decision?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:Magnus: your eloquent reply is delightful, but wrong. ThePortForum is not Lentful, indeed is much closer to the opposite. And not all of us are piously practising Christians (e.g., not me). So please could I, acting as a Amicus Curia, urge a different decision?
Seconded :D
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

jdaw1 wrote:Magnus: your eloquent reply is delightful, but wrong. ThePortForum is not Lentful, indeed is much closer to the opposite. And not all of us are piously practising Christians (e.g., not me). So please could I, acting as a Amicus Curia, urge a different decision?
Being an easily swayed non-practising Christian, your plea has found favour with the court and the previous decision which appears to lack precedent, is hereby repealed.

Alex: your offer is back in play if still valid.

/Magnus

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk 2
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hurray! (Placemats will be updated later this evening.)

I did like the “appears to lack precedent”.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Updated draft of the placemats.
  • Extra spares: AHB, η, θ.
Image Image Image Image
(This post edited.)
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

I've reread the thread and can't spot if a venue has been selected/booked. Are we planning to be in the usual place?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:I've reread the thread and can't spot if a venue has been selected/booked. Are we planning to be in the usual place?
A phone call revealed that Magnus had already booked the Function Room in The Bung Hole (57 High Holborn, London WC1V 6DT, tel +44 20 7831 8365, streetmap.co.uk, maps.google.co.uk).

Helen will not be there: she will be in València, “thinking of [us]”.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:
flash_uk wrote:I've reread the thread and can't spot if a venue has been selected/booked. Are we planning to be in the usual place?
A phone call revealed that Magnus had already booked the Function Room in The Bung Hole (57 High Holborn, London WC1V 6DT, tel +44 20 7831 8365, streetmap.co.uk, maps.google.co.uk).

Helen will not be there: she will be in València, “thinking of [us]”.
Splendid. All in order.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Please put me down for an extra bottle. Those who know me should know the year so only the shipper needs to be guessed.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:Please put me down for an extra bottle. Those who know me should know the year so only the shipper needs to be guessed.
Taylor 70
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Graham 70, if you are adhering to the thinking previously contrived for additional bottles :)
PopulusTremula wrote:
flash_uk wrote:My suggestion was perhaps a bit vague I realise now! I was definitely not thinking more G80, but rather for additions either have more G, like a 77 or 83, offering an opportunity to compare and contrast a little older and a little younger to the case of 6, or, have more 80s which are not G, to offer a reference point to the same vintage. All serving to help with objectives 2 and 3. Could still do this blind.
Re-reading your post, no vagueness was found. My initial befuddlement is blamed on the early hour combined with standing room only on a Southeastern train.

Your suggestion is wholly endorsed, feel free to bring non-80 Grahams or other 80s. Let's keep these blind if possible.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I was going to guess G70. If Derek could only drink one port it might be G70. But the fact he asked us to guess suggested there was something to guess.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Not 1970.
PopulusTremula wrote:one bottle per person will have to suffice, hardship for which we will be amply rewarded in the afterlife.
If the above rule was applied and I was not allowed to bring my extra bottle I might be rewarded sooner rather than later.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

GM65, of course
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:GM65, of course
I couldn't possibly comment as it is to be served blind :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Has any thought been given to how the bottles will be decanted? Is decanting assistance required at lunchtime perhaps?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Gents, sorry, I've been asked to chair an event in the Film Festival here next week - I won't be able to make it over for this. Probably need to keep my powder dry for our tasting here on the 8th - and the various BFT-week events - anyway.
Daniel J.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

Daniel: Sorry to hear that you won't make it. Hope to see you at another tasting soon.

List of attendees has been amended in the initial post.

DRT: Your kind offer of an extra bottle is greatly appreciated and accepted.

AHB: Thanks for the offer of assistance. However, I am leaning towards decanting in the office where i can avail myself of kitchen facilities. With muslin the decanting process is fairly quick and provided each bottle is decanted with fresh cloth and a clean sieve and decanter, the only other exogenous variable is time. If the corks are pulled in batch, then all six bottles should be done within 15 minutes. Once done, I will get them to the Bung Hole sometime before lunch. I presume they have a cool space where the bottles can sit until evening?

JDAW: Please update the placemats.

Getting excited now. :)
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Looking forward to this, and pondering how I will overcome a slight logistical challenge with bottle decant. I am in Belfast on Tuesday and overnight, arriving back on Wednesday in perfect time to stroll along to TBH. This makes things somewhat complex to decant my extra bottle with some useful lead time ahead of consumption. One option would be to leave it with another in advance if someone could kindly decant? Magnus - your plan to decant at work...are you anywhere roughly in central London for that?
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

flash_uk wrote:Looking forward to this, and pondering how I will overcome a slight logistical challenge with bottle decant. I am in Belfast on Tuesday and overnight, arriving back on Wednesday in perfect time to stroll along to TBH. This makes things somewhat complex to decant my extra bottle with some useful lead time ahead of consumption. One option would be to leave it with another in advance if someone could kindly decant? Magnus - your plan to decant at work...are you anywhere roughly in central London for that?
I am based at St. Paul's and can decant your bottle on the day, although I am unlikely to be able to maintain "blindness" :wink: . Any chance you can bring it along to somewhere near me already tomorrow? I am out on Friday so if not, then Monday?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

PopulusTremula wrote:I am based at St. Paul's
Perfect. I am just by Ludgate Circus, so very handy. Not in London tomorrow, so looks like Monday is best. Will PM my number and we can work something out on Monday. And yes, blindness does become a bit of a challenge!
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

flash_uk wrote:
PopulusTremula wrote:I am based at St. Paul's
Perfect. I am just by Ludgate Circus, so very handy. Not in London tomorrow, so looks like Monday is best. Will PM my number and we can work something out on Monday. And yes, blindness does become a bit of a challenge!
perhaps cover in silver foil, and remove the capsule but not the cork, before delivering? Than Magnus would just have to not look at the cork sides on removal, which is viable.

Wish I could join you, but the date not possible for me.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

All the cork sides will say Graham 1980. Why can’t he see them?
PopulusTremula wrote:JDAW: Please update the placemats.
Will do. Please check them when done.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:All the cork sides will say Graham 1980. Why can’t he see them?
The only one he can't look at is Flash's.

You're in Belfast two weeks in a row? Is that wise?
Daniel J.