Niepoort: Small changes in design and pricing

Anything to do with Port.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Niepoort: Small changes in design and pricing

Post by AW77 »

This week I bought some more bottles of the Niepoort 2008 LBV at the same shop where I already bought some '08 LBV last autumn. They had just received a fresh shipment from Niepoort. There seem to be some slight changes in design and pricing at Niepoort. For a start, the card-board packagings are now silver-grey and not in the original card-board colour. The bottles are also shaped slightly different now, they are a little bit taller and a bit smaller in perimeter (see my photo). And they did cost slightly more than last time (16,75 Euro, not 15,75 Euro). I asked the wine merchant about the price increase. They told me that Niepoort had raised the prices and they as retailers would pass on the increase to their customers. (Perhaps I have to explain that this wine merchant has very competitive prices, for example he has even lower prices than German vine-growers themselves. The merchant even does not have a web-shop, because vine-growers would complain about the prices.) Then I asked if Niepoort raises prices frequently. No, I was told, prices were stable for quite some years now and so the increase was justified. So we might experience some slight price increase all across the Niepoort range (if merchants pass on the increase to us consumers.)
Attachments
Niepoort LBV1.jpg
Niepoort LBV1.jpg (234.08 KiB) Viewed 5210 times
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Niepoort: Small changes in design and pricing

Post by jdaw1 »

Niepoort, it seems, have also moved the bottling line from Porto to V. N. Gaia.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It is interesting that all of these were probably bottled at the same time, using different bottles. I find that slightly odd - I would have expected everything to have been bottled at the same time, using the same bottles.

Am I the only one surprised by this observation?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I wouldn't be surprised if producers had multiple bottlings of LBV throughout the year (or years) depending on demand.

Neipoort created a new bottling line when the purchased the Osborne cellar a few years ago. Prior to that they used to bottle in the Niepoort cellar. I am not aware of them ever having a facility in Oporto so perhaps this is just a wording change rather than a change of location.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Did the change of ‟engarrafado” cause the switch?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Did the change of ‟engarrafado” cause the switch?
I don't think so. The switch to the new bottling line happened at least five years ago. These bottles were filled in 2012, probably in the same place.
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
I don't think so. The switch to the new bottling line happened at least five years ago. These bottles were filled in 2012, probably in the same place.
2013...!
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
DRT wrote:
2013...!
Oops.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Look carefully at the wording on the bottles. One has one place, the other has the other.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

And they gone from an off white to a more pure white color for the lettering
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Look carefully at the wording on the bottles. One has one place, the other has the other.
Look carefully at almost every bottle you own. The labels will say "Bottled in Oporto". Almost all of those will actually have been bottled in VNG.

To most of the world "Oporto" is commonly used to describe an area that is larger than the city of that name. A good analogy would be "England".
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I regularly tell people that I live in Seattle, but I actually live in Sammamish. If I started with Sammamish I'd just have to continue with "it's a suburb of Seattle" anyway.

I suspect that Gaia suffers the same fate for most people.
Glenn Elliott
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

jdaw1 wrote:Niepoort, it seems, have also moved the bottling line from Porto to V. N. Gaia.
The bottling line always was in VNdG, as Derek said first in the Niepoort lodge (and a tiny bottling line it was!), now with a bit more space in the former Osborne lodge. This change happened a couple of years ago.
The Niepoort offices always used to be in Oporto, not far from Vinologia, but they have now moved to VNdG as well (also in the former Osborne lodge). This has also happened some years ago, but they probably only now changed the label. I wouldn't think too much of it, these things sometimes take a long time to change. Just look at the back label of your Niepoort vintage ports (or the little card attached) and see that over the decades they made the same spelling error. Bonus points for the first one to find out. :wink:
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Charactaristic
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

RonnieRoots wrote:Just look at the back label of your Niepoort vintage ports (or the little card attached) and see that over the decades they made the same spelling error. Bonus points for the first one to find out. :wink:
You must have different bottles from me, because mine pretty much have an error on every single line!

Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Look carefully at the wording on the bottles. One has one place, the other has the other.
Look carefully at almost every bottle you own. The labels will say "Bottled in Oporto". Almost all of those will actually have been bottled in VNG.
This may have been the case in the past, but a quick look round my collection indicates that newer labels seem to avoid saying "bottled in Oporto" and instead use the formulation: "Bottled by [Name of Company], Oporto"

It should be remembered that the location name on the label is not supposed to refer to where the port was bottled, but to the "circunscrição administrativa local" where the registered office of the named bottler is situated. These could potentially be quite different. See article 15 of Regulamento n.o 242/2010
Rob C.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

RAYC wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:Just look at the back label of your Niepoort vintage ports (or the little card attached) and see that over the decades they made the same spelling error. Bonus points for the first one to find out. :wink:
You must have different bottles from me, because mine pretty much have an error on every single line!

Ha, you're right! Hadn't even noticed most of them. :) I was referring to one in particular, I always found it very funny that their wines can "through" a deposit or crust.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

RonnieRoots wrote:
RAYC wrote:

Ha, you're right! Hadn't even noticed most of them. :) I was referring to one in particular, I always found it very funny that their wines can "through" a deposit or crust.
BRILLANT!