Christmas port choice

Anything to do with Port.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Christmas port choice

Post by richmills »

Hi all

Unlike most on this forum I don't get through much port in a year; probably only about 3 bottles on special occasions. One of those occasions is always Christmas, and this year I have to decide between opening a Fonseca '66 or a Fonseca '70. Which ever one I decide to leave will probably become the choice for next Christmas :)

So my question for you all is which one should I go for now, and which one should I leave for next year? In making this decision it should be noted that I don't have proper storage facilities for my port (it just lives laying down in the cupboard under the stairs, at a relatively cool but probably not consistent temperature), and amongst the usual criteria of which is drinking best at the moment I want to take into account which is likely to be best able to take such storage for another 12 months without damage.

Cheers, Rich.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Christmas port choice

Post by jdaw1 »

Both splendid. Either would work. I’d drink them in age order (so ’66 this year), but the preference for that ordering is only slight.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Either would work. Both would be better.

Enjoy.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Either would work. Both would be better.
DRT has excellently corrected my foolish error.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

I know, I know, I really should try harder. But since my wife became teetotal 1 bottle seems to be about all I get through over the course of a few days.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

richmills wrote:
I know, I know, I really should try harder. But since my wife became teetotal 1 bottle seems to be about all I get through over the course of a few days.
Practice! That's what they make Ruby Reserve for. :wink:

But I agree with the sentiments expressed. Either would work for either year. Like jdaw1, I lean slightly toward drinking the '66 first.
Glenn Elliott
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

richmills wrote:
Undoubtedly there are TPF members who would be delighted to assist you in ensuring your port doesn't languish for several days.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have to say, that is a splendid choice to be required to make.

It's one of those situations where you can't make a wrong decision. Both are absolutely splendid ports, but with many years of life ahead of them (if required) so neither will suffer terribly with another 12 months of storage under the stairs.

Honestly, I can't decide - toss a coin and let fate decide. Heads it's the '66 and tails it's the '70. And if the coin lands on its edge or gets swallowed in flight by a passing seagull then that is a sign you should open both.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Can you wait it off and drink both on their upcoming 50th anniversaries? Do you have an '63 for this year? As others have mentioned, it's a coin toss.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?