1991 Morgan

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

1991 Morgans

Post by Conky »

Popped the Cork (with my usual clumsiness). Cork is Dry and in excellent condition. Smelt the bottle and a lovely bouquet with only a hint of alcohol. I was expecting it to be a lot more firey.
Sod the decanting for a minute. The great smell means half a glass straight away! Solid colour, that word Puce springs to mind. Again, not alcoholic. Having read the previous TN's I cant understand why, but very grateful.
Tasted, and straightforwardly delicious. Lovely fruit taste, I work out which ones later. Aftertaste not superb, but its a very encouraging start. More to follow.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It's only quarter to 8 on a Sunday evening - I can see Alan "Doing a Derek" on this one :wink:

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

1 Hour

I'm getting a dryness to the aftertaste. I'm still very happy with it, but I worry this aspect might develop. It has done in other bottles of Port I've tasted. Derek, is this the Tannic Taste you and others often refer to, and did you say that suggested it has quite a bit of ageing to go?

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yip, right on both counts, although I would expect most 1991's to still have a good deal of tanin kicking around as they are still quite young in VP terms. That's what my thread on 1991 & 1992 was trying to tease out, which don't have the legs so should be drunk now? Some, like this one, will fall between stools.

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

2 Hours

Enjoying this Port. The fruit is a hint of Cherry, I think its a lighter taste than pure Cherry, but cant nail it. Body and smoothness is excellent. Aftertaste has settled in as dry, a shame, but not ruining the experience like overwhelming alcohol has done in the past for me, with other bottles. Often wonder if from now on, if any tasting note is a mixture of the drink changing and your taste buds aclimatising to it. Either way, good fun.

Alan
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

3 Hours

Chugging along well. I'm losing the subtilties of flavour and concentrating on the smoothness of the drink. Its developing a stronger heat, with an shade of apple to the aftertaste. To me thats not peculier, I often get that when there's a tad too much alcohol about. Surprised its kicking in now, as most of my experiences have been of gradual intergration, not the other way round. Still having fun.

5 Hours-ish

Hic! It has mostly gone. Bravo Tom, I'll try to find a reason to have some more off you!

48 Hours

Last half a glass. Finally saw the sediment. A couple of tablespoons worth, and I've not got a decent filter. Drinking it in subdued lighting as I suspect it may be cloudy, and I dont want to know. Lovely smooth warm taste. Again that slight dryness to the aftertaste. Very pleasant nightcap. Not a Crackerjack, but a very pleasant drink, and worthy of sharing. 89/100

Alan
Last edited by Conky on 00:29 Thu 28 Jun 2007, edited 2 times in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

This is now the longest and most comprehansive TN you have ever produced - well done 88)

Are you near the end of the bottle yet :lol: :lol:

Derek
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

When you've finished, I still have plenty more in stock .. :D

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill