Time for a TN sort?

Make suggestions and report problems.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Time for a TN sort?

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

JacobH wrote:This is a bit of a problem. Essentially, if someone posts ‟Sandeman Ruby (bottled 2010)” then, I agree, it might make sense for it to be listed without a date, rather than with one. However, if someone posts ‟Sandeman Ruby (bottled 1910)” then there is a strong argument that that should be listed with its date, since it’s the date that makes it interesting. Also a review of a 1910 Ruby is not going to be of much use to someone looking for notes on a recently purchased bottle.

I suppose, as a compromise, I could kill the bottling dates if they are more recent, so only those which have a significant time in the bottle appear. Looking at what we have at the moment, there aren’t any non-vintage Ports with bottling dates in the 1990s, 2000 or 2001 on the list, so we could start killing the dates from 2002 onwards, or have it on a rolling basis starting a decade ago.
I hadn't realised it was deliberate placement, in which case I am happy.

However, to pick up on the points you have raised, perhaps one way to keep people happy would be to sub-categorise the NV heading. In other words, you could have:
NV
Sandeman 20 year old tawny
Bottled 2002
Bottled 2003
Bottled 2004
etc.

That way, if someone has tasted an old bottling (such as the 3* Sandeman Ruby that was estimated to have been bottled in the 1930s that Derek opened a few years ago), people can find it easily - just look up Sandeman Ruby. But the primary location would be NV port - since that's what it is.

The suggestion that I have made could also be applied to colheitas which have multiple bottling dates.
Niepoort colheita
Bottled 1985
Bottled 1996
Bottled 2008

Or am I now making too much work? (In which case, put my idea in the "good idea, but impractical" basket.)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

My previous laptop died a little while ago and I am currently borrowing a MacBook, which doesn’t have the various pieces of software on it to generate the index. Therefore, apologies for the hiatus in updating. I’ll try to update it again once my new one arrives in the next couple of weeks.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Any chance of a tasting note update please?

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm now up to date with my tasting notes. Is there any chance of an update to the TN index?

JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Yes. I am afraid there are two problems. Firstly, I have been hopeless. Secondly, I lost the most recent version of the code. I do have a backup but it will require some work. I am starting on the process now.

Considering my incompetence, it strikes me I need to work on automating the system. But one stage at a time.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Jacob, welcome back.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Thank you. I now have most of the code working, including some improvements to make it more automatic.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Did we get a TN sort organised?

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Did we get a TN sort organised?
Unfortunately not. We need a new plan.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A new plan has been hatched but it will take a while before someone much more clever than I can implement it.

As the existing index had not been updated for 13 months I have replaced it with a very basic temporary listing which can easily be kept up to date until the new Tasting Note Magnetron Accelerator is ready for launch.

As you will see when you view the index there are a number of formatting issues with some of the thread descriptions. I will attempt to resolve those over the coming weeks.

Your continued patience is appreciated.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Your attention is drawn to the new version of the TN Title Format guidelines.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:a very basic temporary listing which can easily be kept up to date until the new Tasting Note Magnetron Accelerator is ready for launch.
Slightly better presentation of the temporary solution has now been implemented.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Could those people who use the Tasting Note section please take a look at the new tasting note index and provide feedback here as to whether or not it meets your needs?

Given the numerous issues we have had with maintaining more complex versions of the index in the past I am very keen to keep things as simple as possible this time whilst still wanting to provide an index which is fit for purpose. The index that exists today can be updated in approximately 10 minutes with very little work and no trickery. However it does require strict application of the new TN Title Format to ensure entries end up at least roughly in the correct place in the index. I am happy to put in the work to keep the thread title data clean provided the index gives you what you need.

Thanks
Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Lots of cleaning up of the code tonight thanks to help from jdaw1.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The tasting note index now has a search function.

Please give it a go and report any issues here.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Time for a TN sort?

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:The tasting note index now has a search function.

Very nice! Is the index fully self-updating now?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Nice approach and great to have an updated TN listing. I have a couple of requests of which one should be easy and one I have no idea whether it is easy or not:

(1) Could you please put a key at the top of the page as to what the daggers and double daggers represent.
(2) When you do a search (eg on the shipper Ferreira), is it easy to have the results shown in vintage date order? If so, could this be done?

Thanks.

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:

Very nice! Is the index fully self-updating now?
The search function goes directly to the database so will always be up to date. The listing on the index page needs to be updated manually, but takes about 2 minutes to do.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:(1) Could you please put a key at the top of the page as to what the daggers and double daggers represent.
Will do. There was a debate about whether or not these were sufficiently intuitive. You have answered the question :wink:
AHB wrote:(2) When you do a search (eg on the shipper Ferreira), is it easy to have the results shown in vintage date order? If so, could this be done?
This is more difficult, and perhaps impossible. The search function passes the input values into a standard phpBB forum "Advanced search" function with some of the advanced settings pre-selected. By default phpBB displays forum postings in reverse chronological order using the date of the last post in each thread. I do not know how to alter that behaviour. Perhaps this is a good reason to have both the search option and the static listing?

Thanks to you and djewesbury for the feedback and suggestions.
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Brilliant! Does exactly what I want and I love the fact I can also search within the results.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:Brilliant! Does exactly what I want and I love the fact I can also search within the results.
Thanks, Ben. You will have to thank the guys at phpBB for the search within a search as that is simply part of the standard software. All I did was get you to the right page to be able to use it :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Interestingly, phpBB searches don't seem to be fans of Dow. When you search for a vintage + "Dow" using either the new TN Index search or the standard advanced search in the forum it returns every TN from the vintage, not just Dow. Perhaps it likes at least four letters to perform an accurate search?

For those interested, the parameters used in the advanced search to have TNs displayed as they are when you search through the new TN Index function are:
  • Search for keywords: Search for all terms or use query as entered;
  • Search in forums: Port tasting notes;
  • Search within: Topic titles only;
  • Display results as: Topics;
  • Return first: 0 characters of posts.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Added:
TN Index wrote: Tip: You can enter Tawny, Ruby, Reserve, Crusted, Garrafeira etc. in the vintage field to search for non-vintage ports.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Time for a TN sort?

Post by djewesbury »

benread wrote:

Brilliant! Does exactly what I want and I love the fact I can also search within the results.
+1.
The question of it ordering results by post date rather than vintage hadn't struck me, as I would generally search for a particular wine of a particular year (perhaps before standing it up in the cellar). I wouldn't expend too much energy finding a way to make it produce these vintage-ordered results just for the occasional port wonk who wants to see every tasting note for Constantino...! :wink:
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:(1) Could you please put a key at the top of the page as to what the daggers and double daggers represent.
Will do. There was a debate about whether or not these were sufficiently intuitive. You have answered the question :wink:
I have never claimed to be intuitive - and I still don't know what these represent!
DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:(2) When you do a search (eg on the shipper Ferreira), is it easy to have the results shown in vintage date order? If so, could this be done?
This is more difficult, and perhaps impossible. The search function passes the input values into a standard phpBB forum "Advanced search" function with some of the advanced settings pre-selected. By default phpBB displays forum postings in reverse chronological order using the date of the last post in each thread. I do not know how to alter that behaviour. Perhaps this is a good reason to have both the search option and the static listing?
Perhaps there could be a shipper ordered static listing? I have no idea how phpBB code works, but perhaps you can chop the first 5 (year) or 3 (NV) characters from the titles and stitch them back at the end of the title and then create the listing from that?