What kind of sherry?

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Michael H
Cruz Ruby

What kind of sherry?

Post by Michael H »

When watching television shows such as "Upstairs, Downstairs" I see the domestic servants bringing a tray of glasses and decanters into a room. One of these decanters often contains Sherry. My question . . . what kind of sherry would likely be in the decanter? It seems this sherry may sit in that decanter for a somewhat extended period of time, for example several days. I have drunk fino sherry, and my understanding is that fino is rather delicate and quickly loses finesse after the bottle is opened. Additionally, the sherry in the decanter seen in "Upstairs, Downstairs" often has a distinct amber cast while fino sherry is not distinctly amber but rather light, as best as I can recall. Additionally, fino is recommended to be served coolish, but the decanters seem to be at room temperature. I know there are other sherries -- Amontillado, Oloroso -- and suppose the pictured sherry may be one of these.

Any comments? I know this is a very trivial question, but I'm curious.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: What kind of sherry?

Post by LGTrotter »

If memory serves me correctly whenever I came across the hangers on from this age in the late seventies they were serving 'old brown', which I was swigging it while adult attention was elsewhere. This ranged from dreadful 'british', to slightly less dreadful 'commonwealth' through to a quite stunning old madeira. One chap even served dandelion wine, not the most despicable thing I ever drank. Basically a very sweet wine which would be a stalwart of the decanter for months.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Most likely Amontillado which can wear many shoes for sherry. Not too robust or light; just right for most circumstances.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
mannye
Cheap Ruby

Post by mannye »

Second the Amontillado. I also doubt that the sherry would stay in any decanter long enough to oxidize beyond being drinkable. At least not if I was upstairs...or downstairs for that matter. As a good employee, I would make sure the lords weren't drinking bad sherry :lol: