Upside-Down Union Jacks

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Upside-Down Union Jacks

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:Please, come to Belfast, where we can do a tour of upside-down Union Flegs.
Just as the Apostrophe Crimes thread pardons those whose first language is not English, this thread pardons those who choose to intentionally hang their Union Flags* upside-down.

* I have only just noticed the error in the thread title.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:* I have only just noticed the error in the thread title.
The term has been sanctioned by Parliament, and the Admiralty. See the discussion starting with the fourth post in this thread.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
The term has been sanctioned by Parliament, and the Admiralty. See the discussion starting with the fourth post in this thread.
My reading of that debate is that you lost the argument, even though the others in the debate neglected to drive their arguments to a conclusion.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
My reading of that debate is that you lost the argument, even though the others in the debate neglected to drive their arguments to a conclusion.
And once again, I say, come to Belfast, where we can discuss this in full and with people who really care!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:And once again, I say, come to Belfast, where we can discuss this in full and with people who really care!
In order to really appreciate the experience, do we have to have a power shower for half an hour?
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:And once again, I say, come to Belfast, where we can discuss this in full and with people who really care!
In order to really appreciate the experience, do we have to have a power shower for half an hour?
It's not just advisable, it's compulsory!
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:
With a mirror?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:
With a mirror?
Would likely result in a substantial increase in port consumption immediately thereafter.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

In the BBC’s In pictures: Liverpool commemorates Battle of the Atlantic, go forward to the sixth slide, which has the caption ‟Standard bearers for the procession to the Merchant Navy memorial gathered outside the Cunard Building in Liverpool.”

Please could somebody else comment on the left-most flag. Does it match the proper arrangement of the Red Ensign?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:In the BBC’s In pictures: Liverpool commemorates Battle of the Atlantic, go forward to the sixth slide, which has the caption ‟Standard bearers for the procession to the Merchant Navy memorial gathered outside the Cunard Building in Liverpool.”

Please could somebody else comment on the left-most flag. Does it match the proper arrangement of the Red Ensign?
I think it is fair to say that it is impossible to tell. I find that old chaps like these tend to be the last to be fooled. Also these look like rather official ensigns, not stitched by Eileen in accounts the night before.

I think we should ask Phil what he thinks.

EDIT: I think we should ask Phil to ask the D66 what it thinks.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Re: Upside-Down Union Jacks

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:In the BBC’s In pictures: Liverpool commemorates Battle of the Atlantic, go forward to the sixth slide, which has the caption ‟Standard bearers for the procession to the Merchant Navy memorial gathered outside the Cunard Building in Liverpool.”

On my phone it appears not. The gold fringe visible down the center appears to be the staff side of the flag. If so, then the orientation visible just to its left appears to be reversed as that should be the "back" side of the flag, but appears to be the front side orientation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:

I think it is fair to say that it is impossible to tell. I find that old chaps like these tend to be the last to be fooled. Also these look like rather official ensigns, not stitched by Eileen in accounts the night before.

I think we should ask Phil what he thinks.

EDIT: I think we should ask Phil to ask the D66 what it thinks.
Last night was a VERY good night :D

I think the flag is correct; The most visible vertical length of gold braid on the left hand flag in the image appears to be connected to the [small metal figure on top of the pole; what are these called?] and then go along the length of the union jack part of the flag, which would make this the braid along the top edge of the flag when flown with flagpole vertical. With the flag pole at left and this braid across the top, the top right corner of the union jack can be seen to have the thinner white band above the thicker in this corner, making this the correct orientation. Yes, this matches the supplied link to Red Ensign.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

People seem to understand why it might appear dodgy, but as Daniel says, ‟old chaps like these tend to be the last to be fooled”. And Phil’s reasoning convinces. So it must be an illusion of the folds.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Upside-Down Union Jacks

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote: Last night was a VERY good night :D
How many glasses of water did you drink?
PhilW wrote: [small metal figure on top of the pole; what are these called?]
I'd have said finial but the Interweb seems to think it is called 'the top'. Standards are falling (geddit??)
jdaw1 wrote:People seem to understand why it might appear dodgy, but as Daniel says, ‟old chaps like these tend to be the last to be fooled”. And Phil’s reasoning convinces. So it must be an illusion of the folds.
I presume it would be very difficult to get a red ensign wrong. This is based on a presumption regarding the type of people likely to be making them, or needing to, and also the availability of 'already-assembled' ensigns, obviating the need to construct one's own.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:I presume it would be very difficult to get a red ensign wrong. This is based on a presumption regarding the type of people likely to be making them, or needing to, and also the availability of 'already-assembled' ensigns, obviating the need to construct one's own.
Which is why my observation was so tentative. It looked wrong, but just couldn’t be.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It's not wrong. The bottom half is the most visible part and is correct. The folded mess at the top is what it is, a folded mess.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

PhilW wrote:I think the flag is correct; The most visible vertical length of gold braid on the left hand flag in the image appears to be connected to the [small metal figure on top of the pole; what are these called?] and then go along the length of the union jack part of the flag, which would make this the braid along the top edge of the flag when flown with flagpole vertical. With the flag pole at left and this braid across the top, the top right corner of the union jack can be seen to have the thinner white band above the thicker in this corner, making this the correct orientation. Yes, this matches the supplied link to Red Ensign.
Now that I'm on a computer and not my phone, I concur.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Upside-Down Union Jacks

Post by djewesbury »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370207282.142844.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370207282.142844.jpg (34.04 KiB) Viewed 24165 times
Are any of these upside down?
(From the Government Art Collection, Tom Philips, screenprint and mixed media, 1976)
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Apostrophe Crimes does not judge those whose first language is not English, so this thread should not judge those whose choice of artistic expression is not a classical style.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

{Please gloss over the the circumstances under which I noticed this}

The producers of Britain's Got Talent have let themselves down this evening...
Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 21.27.04.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 21.27.04.png (572.86 KiB) Viewed 24120 times
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/union-jack/upside-down_union_jacks.html]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Monday 22nd July 2013, from the BBC story entitled ‟Royal baby: Pregnant Kate taken to hospital in labour”.
Journalists were not the only ones waiting outside the Lindo Wing. Royal supporter Terry Hutt has been camped outside for nearly two weeks
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/union-jack/upside-down_union_jacks.html]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Monday 22nd July 2013, from the BBC story entitled ‟Royal baby: Pregnant Kate taken to hospital in labour”.
Journalists were not the only ones waiting outside the Lindo Wing. Royal supporter Terry Hutt has been camped outside for nearly two weeks
Clearly the flag is intended to be viewed from the bench, as the one (partially) draped over the back of the bench is also displayed correctly as viewed from the bench. :roll:
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I think you can quite clearly see the sleeve for the lanyard on the right hand side of the nearest flag, this taking precedence over the general assumption of the flagpole on the left. I would therefore argue that this flag is correctly displayed.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:I think you can quite clearly see the sleeve for the lanyard on the right hand side of the nearest flag, this taking precedence over the general assumption of the flagpole on the left. I would therefore argue that this flag is correctly displayed.
But that presupposes that the corner nearest the gentleman's elbow is the top of the lanyard. If it is the bottom, the flag is upside down in more than one sense.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

The Chief Vexillologist has pronounced on 'jacks' and 'flags'. There is officially no difference.
Daniel J.