Warre Vertical (incl. LBVs): NYC/Lon - Date TBD

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Warre Vertical (incl. LBVs): NYC - Fall 2013

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote:a Saturday/Sunday would make more sense
Several of the UK habitués are typically unavailable at weekends.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Given that it normally takes five full pages of posts to organise a small tasting in NYC and the fact that half a dozen "UK habitués" have spent a week sending hundreds of emails trying to avoid organising three separate tastings, perhaps we should aim to have these tastings in the same week rather than on the same day?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Well, DRT -- it was you who initially proposed the NATO summit, and I think it is both feasible and fun.

If the groupthink is that it is too hard to pull off, so be it, but why people cant block out a lone saturday/sunday with ~6 months notice is a bit of a mystery to me. Let's do this, homey!

simultaneous/identical tastings separated by 5hours/3,000 miles. would be one for the books.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Given that it normally takes five full pages of posts to organise a small tasting in NYC and the fact that half a dozen "UK habitués" have spent a week sending hundreds of emails trying to avoid organising three separate tastings, perhaps we should aim to have these tastings in the same week rather than on the same day?
5 pages and still someone doesn't show up !
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

i have a warres 91 as well as few of the more recent releases
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Chris Doty wrote:Well, DRT -- it was you who initially proposed the NATO summit, and I think it is both feasible and fun.

If the groupthink is that it is too hard to pull off, so be it, but why people cant block out a lone saturday/sunday with ~6 months notice is a bit of a mystery to me. Let's do this, homey!

simultaneous/identical tastings separated by 5hours/3,000 miles. would be one for the books.
I completely agree. It is not my ability to comply that worries me :wink:

A weekend would have the advantage that an afternoon tasting in NYC and an evening tasting in London would be simultaneous tastings that were not separated by 5 hours. Is that simultaneously simultaneous tastings?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: Warre Vertical (incl. LBVs): NYC/Lon - Sept 14th?

Post by Chris Doty »

I have updated the main post and title to propose Saturday the 14th of September.

I hope this is suitable to all interested parties. If not, please propose a different Fall Saturday.

Woo woo.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

After the ACPT tasting, I'd like to suggest we do two additional things for this tasting:

1) Deposits from attendees. I've done it in the past, it works just fine, and everyone understands why it is necessary.

2) Decant in advance -- too many pop-and-pours at the last tasting. We can do this by anyone bringing a bottle (which these days feels like everyone) decanting roughly based on a predetermined schedule, or a reduction in who is bringing the wine, and they dedicate time for proper decanting. We're also far enough away that, should a bottle hand-off need to happen to ensure proper decant times, it's entirely do-able.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Oh, and one more thought.

3) A price for non-drinkers -- some of us have teetotaler partners; let's get a cost for them that would not include wine/corkage.
JoshDrinksPort
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

plus one on the non wine drinkers, would like to bring my son to one of these (joking of course would be the wife)
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

SushiNorth wrote:After the ACPT tasting, I'd like to suggest we do two additional things for this tasting:

1) Deposits from attendees. I've done it in the past, it works just fine, and everyone understands why it is necessary.

2) Decant in advance -- too many pop-and-pours at the last tasting. We can do this by anyone bringing a bottle (which these days feels like everyone) decanting roughly based on a predetermined schedule, or a reduction in who is bringing the wine, and they dedicate time for proper decanting. We're also far enough away that, should a bottle hand-off need to happen to ensure proper decant times, it's entirely do-able.
SushiNorth wrote:Oh, and one more thought.

3) A price for non-drinkers -- some of us have teetotaler partners; let's get a cost for them that would not include wine/corkage.
All good ideas

1. I mean, it's a long time off, but I might be so far inclined as to settle all arrangements with the restaurant and the attendees myself, as I do for other tastings I host. It ensures no surprises. Anyway - yes.

2. Naturally, what makes a Saturday 1pm private booking attractive is we can get there when it opens (9am) and begin decanting and getting gitty.

3. My only concern with non wine drinkers is I think there might be a lot of them. To say nothing about the size/capacity of the room. I'm open minded, but skeptical.

4. Dave - youre hysterical. Sure your son's a beast.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Chris Doty wrote: 2. Naturally, what makes a Saturday 1pm private booking attractive is we can get there when it opens (9am) and begin decanting and getting gitty.
3. My only concern with non wine drinkers is I think there might be a lot of them. To say nothing about the size/capacity of the room. I'm open minded, but skeptical.
2) re saturday afternoon -- excellent idea. Wasn't aware you were considering that, but making this a late-lunch tasting would work well.

3) given that by september it would require multiple sitter arrangements, I'm not sure how many of us actually would bring non-drinking SO's, but to not have an option for them explicitly excludes them.
JoshDrinksPort
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

SushiNorth wrote:
2) re saturday afternoon -- excellent idea. Wasn't aware you were considering that, but making this a late-lunch tasting would work well.
Yes - the plan is that this is a 1pm / 6pm tasting in NY/Lon.
SushiNorth wrote: 3) given that by september it would require multiple sitter arrangements, I'm not sure how many of us actually would bring non-drinking SO's, but to not have an option for them explicitly excludes them.
Yes, well, happy to play it by ear. I mean, this is a wine tasting, intended for people who enjoy tasting wine. As this is going to be a fairly large retrospective of Warre's wines, potentially with a special industry guest, and potentially live-linked to another room full of people who enjoy tasting wine, I really can't say that I am going to prioritize the inclusion of people who are entirely uninterested in the primary objective of the tasting (i.e., to consume, enjoy and evaluate fine wines).

We can happily revisit this topic closer to the date, but my intuition is that we will not have sufficient capacity for all the interested drinkers, much less the interested teetotalers.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

September 14th problem: Sept 14 is the day of Yom Kippur (it begins the following evening); a major jewish holiday. As such, I would be unable to make it that day. What other days might we consider? I would suggest we take a look at Sep 7 and Sep 28.
JoshDrinksPort
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: Warre Vertical (incl. LBVs): NYC/Lon - Sept 28th?

Post by Chris Doty »

Goodness -- how could I have overlooked Yom Kippur?!

Let's try the 28th instead...
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

SushiNorth wrote:Sept 14 is the day of Yom Kippur (it begins the following evening)
edit: It begins the PRIOR evening.
JoshDrinksPort
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Chris Doty wrote:Goodness -- how could I have overlooked Yom Kippur?!

Let's try the 28th instead...
I'm adding that to my calendar now, to ensure the day stays blocked for this event. Thanks chris!
JoshDrinksPort
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Hello All;

I am unable to make the 28th--a family thing I would not miss; c'est la vie. :cry:

Big Love--John M.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

John M wrote:Hello All;

I am unable to make the 28th--a family thing I would not miss; c'est la vie. :cry:

Big Love--John M.
Appreciate the notice John
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

WIfe just reminded me that #2 of the g-clan may be coming so i'll have to play by ear, but will be happy to contribute bottles for this event.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:WIfe just reminded me that #2 of the g-clan may be coming so i'll have to play by ear, but will be happy to contribute bottles for this event.
Well, maybe we should be aiming a little earlier rather than later?
JoshDrinksPort
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Just getting the crust stirred up on this...

Are we still game for a late-September Warres tasting?
JoshDrinksPort
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Sept. 28th is out for me...have a family event that weekend. If another date, I will retain my spot as first reserve.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

SushiNorth wrote:Just getting the crust stirred up on this...

Are we still game for a late-September Warres tasting?
Weekends are always difficult times for me to take part in port tastings, but I'm game to try to participate in a virtual offine.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm updating the offlines summary and don't know whether I should be including this one as a definite future offline with an agreed date, or as a future offline idea. Has anything progressed?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.