The latest uni craze...

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

The latest uni craze...

Post by RAYC »

Somewhat more appealing than "milking"! link
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: The latest uni craze...

Post by DRT »

Do you think they would buy my seven bottles of Real Vinicola 1983?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Provided it cost less than the M&S own label they appear to be using.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I disapprove of the wastage.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

A friend just sent this to me. A waste of perfectly good Port.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Andy Velebil wrote:A friend just sent this to me. A waste of perfectly good Port.
jdaw1 wrote:I disapprove of the wastage.
I'm not sure i see this as any different to the production cost of any video / movie. How about blowing up some cars in a Bond chase scene? Laying out a full table of food to get trashed in a Hollywood fight scene?

For the cost of some shirts, trousers and port they've probably realised they can make a viral movie that will hit the headlines. Given the number of views that the "milking" video has received, presumably they are in the territory where they are generating money on youtube through advertising? (albeit jeopardising their chances with future employers if their names get out!)

And is spending a day making a video with chums about pouring port over your head actually any different from spending a day with chums drinking port and eating steak+cheese? The port ceases to exist in both circumstances, and the world is no different for better or worse either way.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:A friend just sent this to me. A waste of perfectly good Port.
I'm not sure i see this as any different to the production cost of any video / movie. How about blowing up some cars in a Bond chase scene? Laying out a full table of food to get trashed in a Hollywood fight scene?

For the cost of some shirts, trousers and port they've probably realised they can make a viral movie that will hit the headlines. Given the number of views that the "milking" video has received, presumably they are in the territory where they are generating money on youtube through advertising? (albeit jeopardising their chances with future employers if their names get out!)

And is spending a day making a video with chums about pouring port over your head actually any different from spending a day with chums drinking port and eating steak+cheese? The port ceases to exist in both circumstances, and the world is no different for better or worse either way.
To summarise, RAYC appears to be saying that jdaw1 and Andy are a couple of boring old farts. I completely agree :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC and DRT think that pouring port over oneself is as good a use as drinking it.”  I wonder whether the winemakers will be flattered.

”  Obviously true for Real Vinicola 1983. But is it true of the port they are using? And with what folly will the milkers respond?
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

I have a 26 FL OZ bottle of Gilbey's Tripple Crown I would be willing to sell them.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

And I have a 4 litre (what bottle size is that?) of Gold Top Jersey milk that they can buy from me if they want to organise a comparative video shoot.

Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

RAYC wrote:

Clearly, though, there is a safety issue involved here. What if the Port is somehow contaminated, and could thusly cause a debilitating disease in the persons doused?

I say the Port should be filtered first to remove any such potential contamination. My liver and kidneys are quite efficient at filtering Port, so I offer my services. Please forward the Port to be used for future videos to my home, and I will return the filtered liquid to be used for safely dousing the participants.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:Clearly, though, there is a safety issue involved here. What if the Port is somehow contaminated, and could thusly cause a debilitating disease in the persons doused?
Glenn, you raise a very important point here. What if, heaven forbid, the Port was poured from lead crystal decanters. The outcome could be catastrophic! Can you imagine what a good litigator could make of that scenario?

Perhaps a global law should be passed that prevents anyone from extracting the cork from a bottle of port until we know it is safe and sensible to do so?
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have a question that might test the resolve of some of the anti-wasters here:

A middle aged man walks into a bar. A 23 year old damsel approaches him and says "You can do anything you want to me, so long as you pour a bottle of Fonseca 1963 over my naked body first."

Is that wasteful?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:I have a question that might test the resolve of some of the anti-wasters here:

A middle aged man walks into a bar. A 23 year old damsel approaches him and says "You can do anything you want to me, so long as you pour a bottle of Fonseca 1963 over my naked body first."

Is that wasteful?
Of course it is. Any sane, male, port-lover would vanish into their cellar and reappear a few moments later with an open bottle of port that was labelled Fonseca 1963. In their cellar would be an unlabelled decanter full of port and an empty bottle of Cruz Ruby. And on their face would be a big smile...

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Damsel dependent, it might be worth using a Cockburn Special Reserve.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:A middle aged man walks into a bar. A 23 year old damsel approaches him and says "You can do anything you want to me, so long as you pour a bottle of Fonseca 1963 over my naked body first."

Is that wasteful?
I mis-answered Derek’s question.

Yes, it is wasteful, but of her. She is the one wasting a rare bottle that could, used differently, give better pleasure.

He is not wasting it. A rare and excellent bottle is going to give him much pleasure. But he should be allowed both pleasures.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: Yes, it is wasteful, but of her. She is the one wasting a rare bottle that could, used differently, give better pleasure.
Really?

If she doesn't waste the bottle of Port she doesn't get to have you.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:If she doesn't waste the bottle of Port she doesn't get to have you.
Not quite how the original hypothesis was phrased.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

just saw this thread and must say from my German background the existence of "porting" proofs something went wrong in cultural education in universities here in England. At least there is some hope to correct that since the uni cellars did not supply the port for this nonsense. Some unis even prefered to sell their port to us port lovers :wink: or in a general context :(
In short these students lost the plot! And the Unis seem helpless too!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Wolfgang - in terms of potential for harm to others, how would you rate this alongside the high speed "autobahn run" videos that young german men are fond of posting to youtube? (Showing high powered cars/motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic)
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

WS1 wrote:Hi,

just saw this thread and must say from my German background the existence of "porting" proofs something went wrong in cultural education in universities here in England. At least there is some hope to correct that since the uni cellars did not supply the port for this nonsense. Some unis even prefered to sell their port to us port lovers :wink: or in a general context :(
In short these students lost the plot! And the Unis seem helpless too!

regards

WS1
But even if the colleges had provided the port, if they are anything like Imperial College's cellar's selection of ruby or LBV port supplied by Russell Mellor this would still not be a bad thing.