Time for a TN sort?

Make suggestions and report problems.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Time for a TN sort?

Post by uncle tom »

Can I suggest that as soon as the Sept 1st offline's notes have been published and digested, the TN section gets a sort - it's becoming a bit of a trawl now to see if a wine has been previously TN'd.

I havn't checked, but I suspect there are some multiple posts in there that could be compiled at the same time.

This process could then be repeated every month or two - if it's not too difficult...!

That way we'd have a page or two of recent reports followed by all other ones in vintage/shipper order. If an old note is added to, it jumps into the recent list.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Tom,

I will be sending Julian an updated file for the TNs which he will magically turn into a post full of links. Sorting them on the board is easier said than done,

Alex
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

TN sort

Post by jdaw1 »

And as those TN threads already exists, they will be included even if the data is done before the weekend. (Hint: I’m not at my computer from late Friday. Data sooner rather than later please.)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

TN index updated

Post by jdaw1 »

TN index updated.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Well done. Thanks.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

jdaw, your work in keeping track of all the TN's is very much appreciated. It makes searching them so much easier. It is also very good to see that the database of TN's is steadily building up.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I have asked admin for the data for another sort.

Post by jdaw1 »

I have asked admin for the data for another sort.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think the Creator's Assistant has gone off to the Colonies again so it may be some time before you receive your data.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Seen and I will do it tomorrow.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Received; you have email on making this easier

Post by jdaw1 »

Received; you have email on the subject of making this easier.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have noticed that some people add TN's of the same port to the foot of existing TN's from the same wine tasted from a different bottle at a different time. I think this is compromising the TN Index that Jdaw is maintaining for us as he can only index individual threads and is doing so against the name of the originator of the thread. An example of this is the welcome addition of some TN's from LadyR. As these have been added to existing TN threads rather than new TN threads they will never appear on the TN Index.

I am going to spend some time separating some of these out into individual TN's. I will only do this where no comparative discussion has taken place within a thread so as not to lose continuity of discussion. Where we simply have 2 TN's from different bottles of the same wine in 1 thread I will split them into two so that both appear on the Index.

I hope everyone is OK with this, especially as I will have completed the task before many of you read this :?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,

I do prefere when people post a totally new thread on a different bottle. Bottle variation, decants are different, etc. all come into play, and at times, its hard to figure out what TN people are refering to.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I agree, but it also hides the number of separate TN's we actually have here. I think it is good to be able to look at the index and see wines that seem to be being tasted regularly. This can't be seen from the index if susequent TN's are simply tagged onto an existing post.

Incidentally, I am also tidying ip some TN Title decsriptions to follow the preferred style of Vintage, Shipper, Style

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Well, we have to keep you busy doing something otherwise you might disappear off to some other part of the world and sinmply drink port all day! :shock:

And if you ever did do that, we expect tasting notes on every drop of port that passes your lips. :D

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

start new TN thread; and also link to new thread in old

Post by jdaw1 »

Recommendation:
1. start new TN thread; and also
2. post link to new thread in old thread.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: start new TN thread; and also link to new thread in old

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Recommendation:
1. start new TN thread; and also
2. post link to new thread in old thread.
I don't really see the need to do 2 when we have an index which will list all instances of TN's of the same wine. Plus it's too much work for very little, if any, gain.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think it's that time again :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Admin didn’t reply to my questions last time. Please admin?

Post by jdaw1 »

Admin didn’t reply to my questions last time. Please admin?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Julian,

If I also want you to include links to the 2 non-Portuguese fortified wines for which I have posted tasting notes in the "Other Wines" section, please could you let me know what you need from me to make your life easy.

Is it as simple as preparing a private message to you with the formatting and links looking to be consistent with the current format of the TN index?

Thanks,

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

the universe of wines

Post by jdaw1 »

If the universe of wines is gigantic (all possible wines?), then their names will need to be longer and fuller. If we have a limited universe (ports), then shorter names (“Graham†) will suffice.

Do we really want to go down the big-universe road?

Next, if this is a once-off, fine, PM me links and I can fudge it. But if this is going to grow, IT scalability becomes relevant and the IT folks should be able to give me a data dump.

These are matters of policy for top management.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: the universe of wines

Post by Conky »

jdaw1 wrote:These are matters of policy for top management.
Bloody Hell! Have we got any? Anybody know where we can buy some?

We must be coming on in the world...we need Top Management...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I note that, unlike Conky, Jdaw used the lower case "top managment" which I understand to collectively describe the people who exist at the top of the TPF managment ladder with no implied assessment of their suitability for holding that particular office.

For the record, I consider myself to be a blunt instrument of our top managment rather than being one of them. I cannot provide data dumps as it is beyond my remit and capability.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Jdaw,

When you complie the index do you identify and resolve discrepancies in TN descriptions to ensure wines that should appear together do appear together? For example, Tom recently posted a note on a Burmester LBV (unfiltered) - I previously posted a note on a Burmester Unfiltered LBV from a different vintage. After seeing Tom's note I amended the title on mine so that the description was consistent with Tom's.

It then ocurred to me that this must be something that you deal with each time you compile an index. If you would like to send me a note of all the amendments you have to make to pull the notes together I will edit the offending posts to ensure you do not have to repeat that exercise for the same notes over and over again.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

what I really want from you is a simple four-column table

Post by jdaw1 »

So what I really want from you is a simple four-column table containing:
  • User number (I have a private table of initials);
  • Post number (the number of the first post; not the thread number);
  • Unix time of that post;
  • Thread title.
I delete from this all the rows with post numbers I already have. That will leave a few dozen rows. Semi-manually I make two columns of year and house. When one TN has several things in it (e.g.), those rows are duplicated and house and year appropriately varied. This is then sorted into the already cleaned data, and some Excel formulæ make the BB code which I copy-paste into the TN index.
Last edited by jdaw1 on 22:27 Tue 16 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

My head hurts!