I Need Some of These

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

I Need Some of These

Post by DRT »

Axel,

Where can I buy these? I have to have some, they are too lovely to contemplate not having.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

It looks like the IVDP approved glasses with a cool etching. I do like too 88)

My goal is to pick up more of these IVDP glasses in Portugal next week. I really like them, but they are not imported to the US :cry:
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Nice shape, shame about the print

Post by Ghandih »

Derek,

They do have a great shape to them, but do you really want that logo sprawling all over your port? I reckon better to get the ones before the etching ruins them...

Ghandih
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Ghahndhih.

I suspect that the etching is what he is looking at, and don't be so rude about our new guy's glasses.

KB
Port is basically a red drink
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

oops

Post by Ghandih »

I did subsequently spot the photo on Axel's messages - Axel, my apologies, and no offence meant. Very rude of me. I thought Derek had found them on some website or another and forwarded for a group order.

I do still think the plain ones are nicer, though. I hope that doesn't mean we can still be friends!

Ghandihh
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

...by which I meant to say, I hope that doesn't mean we can't still be friends. Flippin eck, don't you hate double negatives?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

The official port glasses are now also being produced by Schott Zwiesel, as I was told by a restaurant owner, who used them. A pleasant surprise, because it doesn't happen that often that proper port glasses are being used in Dutch restaurants!
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Just before you all take this as a given... Please look at, and experience the new IVDP glass.
I've got some and use them regularly, and they are to big! Apologies, but I like the indentation to place your finger on, but they are bigger than the ones you are used to.
You might decide they are superb, and the way forward. But just try them first,

Alan
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ronnie,
I looked at Schott Zwiesel's web site and they don't show the IVDP approved glasses. I do hope they are making them and that they send them to the US.

Alan,
To disagree, they are the proper size for a port glass. Most other wine glasses are too small or way to big. I fell in love with them last year and brought some home. After using them for a year, I think they are one of the best glasses out there for Port. Of course, we all have our likes and dislikes and if you don't like it, I'll make you like it... :lol: I think that is the George Bush way of doing things :wink: :lol: :lol:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I have a set of the IVDP glasses, and use them every now and then, but the glasses I use more often are those from the Diva series of Schott Zwiesel. Those are actually bigger than the official glasses.... I guess I like big glasses. :lol:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Andy, I'll ask around at the shop where they are supposed to be selling them. It could be that it is a restaurant line only.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

RonnieRoots wrote:Andy, I'll ask around at the shop where they are supposed to be selling them. It could be that it is a restaurant line only.
Cool, thanks
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Fair enough. I'll accept a lot of you guys like them, and they are probably the right size. I just like the previous size, but wish they had the indentation in the stem.
If you like them even bigger, like Ronnie, your getting awfully close to Wine Tasting glasses. But of course, that's all down to personal opinion.

Alan
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,

Bring something to take a couple of these IVDP approved glasses home...I'm sure you can find a few while you're there. I know I plan to get some and bring them home. I got a box I can carry on the plane just for the glasses.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Stuff them with socks!!! Works a treat. :wink:
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Conky wrote:Stuff them with socks!!! Works a treat. :wink:
Good thinking Alan.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks for the advice guys, I nearly forgot that I was going to Oporto and can get some of these on Sunday :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: I Need Some of These

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Image

Axel,

Where can I buy these? I have to have some, they are too lovely to contemplate not having.
Without tacky engraving, from here.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Julian,

as a man who generally likes to be correct, the link you supplied, shows 'Type' or generic glasses, and not the real thing.
These IVDP glasses are slightly larger with an indent in the stem. If you have a look at Axel's avatar, you can just see it at the top of the stem.

Alan
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

RonnieRoots wrote:Andy, I'll ask around at the shop where they are supposed to be selling them. It could be that it is a restaurant line only.
Found them on the website (click - the rightmost glass). It is marketed in their "Bar Professional" line.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks.
I picked up 12 of them while in Portugal last week. I would have got more, but I had to hand carry them home 6,000 miles on a plane and 12 was all I had room for :? i am going to check with my local retailer to see if he can order some.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Andy,

Do you like them? I simply cant take to the longer stem and the double sized base. All individual opinions, of course,

Alan
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yeah, I really do like them. I will admit when i first tried them last year I wasn't keen on them. After a couple days using them I fell in love with them. They must be decent, or there is major pressure from someone to use them, because all the places we visited this year used them, expect for the Taylor/Fonseca bunch.