None of My Greek friends have "Liked" port posts on Facebook

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

None of My Greek friends have "Liked" port posts on Facebook

Post by mpij »

I have noticed that none of my Greek friends havwe ever "Liked" any of my Port related posts on Facebook. I Hold myself entirely responsible for not introducing them to the pleasure of the drink. While on subject of Greece I would recomend Metaxa Private Peserve as a decent "brandy" and any Ouzo by Varvaganis bros from the town of Plomari, Lesbos as damn good. Please note that in modern Greek "Beta = V.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Re: None of My Greek friends have "Liked" port posts on Face

Post by mpij »

I will take some bottles with me in October to educate them.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Does Greece produce a fortified red wine? That could explain the lack of enthusiasm for Port? (as could the insane heat!)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

Have not come accross fortified wine in Greece, and always visit in spring or autaumn and avoid insane heat(and insane number of tourists). I have enjoyed some whites from Limnos but have to confess to a dislike for retsina!!!
roel
Cheap Ruby

Post by roel »

There are some fortified reds in Greece, primarily made from Mavrodaphne. The best known example is Mavrodaphne of Patras. The wine has an oxidative style which is a result of vinification at high temperatures and aging in a solara-style system. Usually pretty wood dominated.

I find them to be pretty nice actually, recently had one served in a restaurant paired with a selection of small deserts with a fair share of chocolate. Fantastic pairing. They served an aged Mavrodaphne, 20 years old. It's taste profile is that of a gentle, aged tawny, sleek and silky, but still a large share of fruit and acidity present in the wine. A great balance between tanins, fruit and acidity. And unlike most ports, it really paired well with the chocolate.

Roel.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Thanks for this last post - I'm in Greece this summer for our family holiday. I will try to find some fortified Mavrodaphne and give it a taste!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

Postby AHB » 12:42 Wed 25 Apr 2012
Thanks for this last post - I'm in Greece this summer for our family holiday. I will try to find some fortified Mavrodaphne and give it a taste!

I think that Samos does a fortified muscat, and the island has been well known for sweet wines since Byron wrote about them. Enjoy your holiday, hope it's not too hot! I'm planning visit in October when it will be a bit cooler.
Martin.