Life on the Douro screening and tasting, London, 12 June 2017

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Zev Robinson
Cruz Ruby

Life on the Douro screening and tasting, London, 12 June 2017

Post by Zev Robinson »

Hi,

My 90 minute documentary Life on the Douro, about 300 years of history, will show at the Roxy Bar and Screen, 128-132 Borough High Street, London SE1 1LB, on April 23, and will be followed by tastings from at least five wineries, provided by Symington Family Estates, Niepoort, Taylor Fladgate, Quinta do Vale D. Maria, and Quevedo. More wines may join the fun. I'll be on hand to answer questions about the film and my experiences in making it, and winery and importer reps will be on hand to talk about the wine. More details here - http://lifeonthedouro.com/?p=56 and tickets can be purchased here -
http://www.tickettailor.com/checkout/vi ... 9/chk/6849

Life on the Douro was filmed during 45 days over five trips in an 18 month period, and I'm going back to film once again in order to expand it into a 6 part series for television. So far, I have interviewed about 28 people, should be close to 40 by the time it shows in London. It will also be screening in NYC on May 17, more on that later.

Hope to see you there.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Life on the Douro screening and tasting, London, April 2

Post by DRT »

Thanks for posting this here, Zev.

If I am in London that day I will certainly be there :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just organised my diary so that I will be there. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the film and hearing about the potential television series.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Just bought my ticket for the London showing - I'll be there and I'm really looking forward to seeing the film.

Tickets are only £9.50; the cinema has a capacity of 100; doors open at 6pm; film starts at 7:30pm and the cinema bar also serves meals with a short but well thought out menu that is reasonably priced with mains running from £8.50-£10.00.

Who else will be there?

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My ticket bought.

Please, nearer the time, somebody remind me to bring my spectacles.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Rule 17b now comes into play. When n TPF people gather together, n ≥ 3, at least n+1 bottles of port must be opened and consumed.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Thanks for alerting us to this - I am a definite and I thought it would be a nice event to bring a guest along to, so bought a second ticket too (though not a holding hands-type of guest).
Rob C.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Just booked my ticket :D
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I shall probably not be in London much before 6pm on Monday. I plan to head straight for the Roxy and eat there before the film starts at 7:30pm. Anyone care to join me? (If so, bring your own port glass...but I'm not bringing anything special)

Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I shall be there for dinner before the film...what wines are we bringing?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Cookie wrote:I shall be there for dinner before the film...what wines are we bringing?
I was intending to bring something I suspect to be at the weaker end of my 2012 drinking list so I won't mind too much if I have to share it with people I don't really know but also not be embarrased if I share it with fellow port lovers - it won't be the 40 year old Cockburn Special Reserve that I plan to drink at some point :shock:

RAYC

Post by RAYC »

My guest has just pulled out. Please post here if you would like a free ticket! (which will need to be subject to confirmation, as I have just sent an email to some other friends offering it)
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:I shall probably not be in London much before 6pm on Monday. I plan to head straight for the Roxy and eat there before the film starts at 7:30pm. Anyone care to join me? (If so, bring your own port glass...but I'm not bringing anything special)
Do we know whether or not we are permitted to open our own bottles in the cinema? I once tried to consume a McDonalds in a cinema and was asked to leave the premises :shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Lowered the tone. That cinema didn’t want that type of customer.

It will be different with vintage port, surely.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Lowered the tone. That cinema didn’t want that type of customer.
Is it possible to get any lower than the typical British cinema hot dog?

Regardless, the fact remains we will be in a place that serves its own food and drink. We should not assume we can simply do as we wish.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I hope to be there, with CHR, but probably will only be able to make it for about 7. Very much looking forward to it!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:I shall probably not be in London much before 6pm on Monday. I plan to head straight for the Roxy and eat there before the film starts at 7:30pm. Anyone care to join me? (If so, bring your own port glass...but I'm not bringing anything special)
Do we know whether or not we are permitted to open our own bottles in the cinema? I once tried to consume a McDonalds in a cinema and was asked to leave the premises :shock:
Given that a number of producers are going to be opening bottles and pouring their own wines after (and perhaps before) the film, I am assuming that the venue has accepted that on this occasion there may be bottles consumed that were not purchased from their wine list.

However, the menu at the Roxy does seem to be a cut above that I experienced last night at my local Showcase cinema. I am looking forward to a decent meal, an interesting film and some enjoyable ports amidst the company of like-minded wine-lovers. I'm hoping that Zev has a good crowd - I'd feel really sorry for him if the only people who turn up are the dozen or so from this forum.

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:I'm hoping that Zev has a good crowd - I'd feel really sorry for him if the only people who turn up are the dozen or so from this forum.
I hope so too, but I suppose it will all come down to how well the event has been advertised in places where non-forumites might see it.
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Having lived for about 2 years within about 200 yards of this venue, it always seemed to have a good crowd so I would expect some of those to have been made aware and interested. Unless it has changed, it has a slight 'rough and ready' feel, but a nice idea.

Have fun - I wish I were allowed out more frequently!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Zev Robinson
Cruz Ruby

Post by Zev Robinson »

Thanks for all your posts. I'm just back from 10 more days of filming in Portugal in order to expand Life on the Douro into a six part series for television, and hadn't had time to check the responses. I hadn't thought about people bringing their own Ports, I will try to confirm a bit later today if that would be possible, though I don't see why not. The meals at the Roxy are tasty, freshly made by a chef, certainly not typical cinema fare.

I will give a brief presentation, then have a QandA session (about the making of the film, not about Port, I'll leave that to others :) ) so bring your questions as well. Tickets still available, and just the wines alone are worth more than the price, so if you know anyone else in London, please spread the word. Looking forward to meeting you all there.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

1. Don’t forget to print your ticket. (DRT: I have yours and mine.)

2. I failed to remember to bring a glass. (Doh!) If anybody is able to cope for you, I’d be most grateful.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:2. I failed to remember to bring a glass. (Doh!) If anybody is able to cope for you, I’d be most grateful.
Presumably glasswear shouldn’t be too much of a problem if they are advertising a tasting after the screening?
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

JacobH wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:2. I failed to remember to bring a glass. (Doh!) If anybody is able to cope for you, I’d be most grateful.
Presumably glasswear shouldn’t be too much of a problem if they are advertising a tasting after the screening?
I will bring my 6-pack of worldofport.de Schott Zwiesel glasses just in case.
Rob C.
Zev Robinson
Cruz Ruby

Post by Zev Robinson »

i checked, it is fine to bring Port to the tasting _after_ the film is shown, not before.
Zev Robinson
Cruz Ruby

Post by Zev Robinson »

And, yes, there will be glasses, but I'm not sure how many, so if you want to do detailed comparisons with more than one glass on hand, having a few extra glasses can't hurt.